• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 16th JANUARY - ONE DAY AT PITTI 87 (EVEN VIRTUALLY)

WINNER OF THE FRIDAY CHALLENGE? (Multi-choice enabled)

• EFV

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • SeamasterLux

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • jfrater

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Shen

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • eviltimeban

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard we were going to Pitti. Props to @EFV for the color inspiration. Let me check my list: hat, patterned bag, bold overcoat, bold gloves (bonus points: gloves in overcoat chest pocket, more bonus points: two pair of gloves), bright colors, classic patterns, big scarf (bonus points: sport coat buttoned over scarf), loafers, bright socks, lapel flower, several items in the same pattern (bonus points: black watch, more bonus points: double glen plaid). Ok, back to the real world. I have to grade Algebra 2 papers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes, Garry.

I want Linos coat.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this suit has now been granted the official Pitti Blogger Seal of Approval, I felt it appropriate to press it into service for the Challenge.

Eeek. Forgot my wrist hardware.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Absolutely lovely, and way too tasteful...

I think I disagree, though you are right, this is more tasteful than the standard Pitti fare

But if that's what SML would wear to Pitti, that's what he would wear. I put a decent amount of thought in what I would wear for the challenge. I considered going over the top...but it wouldn't be an outfit I'd be comfortable with. So I asked myself what I would actually wear if I had to spend one day at Pitti and arrive at an outfit I'd be happy with. Something slightly more exuberant than my standard dress but also something that I'd feel wearing on a whimsical Tuesday in May.

This might not be in the spirit of the challenge, but I think the entries would be more interesting if everyone took this approach as opposed to the "how Pitti can I be approach." Though that's probably more fun :D

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun assembling my fit, but I can't imagine wearing it anywhere.

We shot the photos in the parking lot out back of our apartment block. It's overlooked by a construction site swarming with lots of very manly Aussie blokes wearing stubbies, singlets and Blundstones. (Google it.) I was a bit worried about getting egged from on high...but I suppose they don't bring eggs to work.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

I had a lot of fun assembling my fit, but I can't imagine wearing it anywhere.

We shot the photos in the parking lot out back of our apartment block. It's overlooked by a construction site swarming with lots of very manly Aussie blokes wearing stubbies, singlets and Blundstones. (Google it.) I was a bit worried about getting egged from on high...but I suppose they don't bring eggs to work.

Not sure what's wrong with me because I quite like it - apart from the Panama of course
1f61c.png

Though I agree you are running a risk if you wore it in the streets of Sydney. And bloody hell you must have been boiling up.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I put a decent amount of thought in what I would wear for the challenge. I considered going over the top...but it wouldn't be an outfit I'd be comfortable with. So I asked myself what I would actually wear if I had to spend one day at Pitti and arrive at an outfit I'd be happy with.

Same here. And then I decided that therefor I would sit out. :(

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Varied a theme on what I was planning to wear anyway, and so we have my entry. Overcoat as shawl (the fit of which suggests that these guys buy their coats 5 sizes too big, just to wear as a shawl): check Vibrant accessories (belt, shoes): check Consciously jauntified accessories - glasses in pocket, tie askew, jacket sleeve un/button pattern made to look seemingly random, but highly premeditated: check Talking on cell phone (to no one) to seem extremely important: Check Gloves in pocket (which fell out 300 times, suggesting these guys might have them sewn in): Check Sockless despite freezing temperatures: Check DB jacket inner button done, but outer button undone, simulating "rushing" out of the house as if being discovered by a jealous husband: Check

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winrar

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Varied a theme on what I was planning to wear anyway, and so we have my entry.

Overcoat as shawl (the fit of which suggests that these guys buy their coats 5 sizes too big, just to wear as a shawl): check
Vibrant accessories (belt, shoes): check
Consciously jauntified accessories - glasses in pocket, tie askew, jacket sleeve un/button pattern made to look seemingly random, but highly premeditated: check
Talking on cell phone (to no one) to seem extremely important: Check
Gloves in pocket (which fell out 300 times, suggesting these guys might have them sewn in): Check
Sockless despite freezing temperatures: Check
DB jacket inner button done, but outer button undone, simulating "rushing" out of the house as if being discovered by a jealous husband: Check

biggrin.gif

In preparation for Piti 2016, someone needs to start a satirical website that purports to sell such things.

Or perhaps one that *actually* sells such things.

Cheers,

Ac

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Same here. And then I decided that therefor I would sit out. :(

Would you deviate at all from your standard WAYWRN fits?

I think if I was actually there, I'd wear what I'm wearing now or go the gdl route with a nice sweater, nice pair of trousers, and a jacket.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would you deviate at all from your standard WAYWRN fits?
I think if I was actually there, I'd wear what I'm wearing now or go the gdl route with a nice sweater, nice pair of trousers, and a jacket.

Honestly, no probably not at all. I mean, if I was there for a few days I am sure I would try and go with the flow and peacock a little at least once, but for the most part, Id just be me.

That gdl fit was perfection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads