• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge: 04/11/14 - Seasons Change Challenge

Who did it best?

• archibaldleach

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • EFV

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • oldog/oldtrix

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • RogerP

• FlyingMonkey

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Coaxsackie

• GMMcL

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Cotton Dockers

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Maturestyle

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • upr_crust

• coldsalmon

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • in stiches

• Betelgeuse

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • tchoy

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • DonColgne

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Butler

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • notjustties

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notjustties

Reaction score
that top half is very nice. bottom half is doing it a disservice imo.
frown.gif

So much this.
Thanks for your feedback guys. I know there is a long way ahead of me. Could you give me any recommendations on how to improve the lower half? Thanks a lot!

And thanks a lot to the person who voted for my fit!
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which got me thinking what do wear for the in between seasons? For me is a light worsted wool jacket.

The challenge is put up your best fit for a in between season jacket. to make it interesting.

Having said that, the suit fits were generally much better than the fits of those who actually submitted an outfit that met the challenge criteria.

The big challenge of odd jacket outfits - especially when the trouser and jacket have relatively little textural difference; likely with the worsted wool jacket - is getting the colour/pattern/formality contrast exactly right between jacket and trouser. Too much contrast and the top and bottom halves appear totally disparate. Too little contrast and the outfits appear like a bad attempt at creating a suit. Most entries ended up at one extreme or the other.

The exceptions were Coxsackie, GMMCl and Don Cologne, and Coxsackie's was my favourite of those, simply because I liked the pieces better and felt they played together better. Butler's outfit works nicely in the B&W inspiration photo but I just didn't like it in colour. Maybe if the trousers were a more buttery cream I'd have dug it more. EFV's and Cotton Dockers would have got my votes, but I didn't like pocket square choice in either (funnily enough, it seems to be the same square in both). White linen would have worked better in CD's and perhaps a patterned light-coloured silk for EFV's. archibaldleach would have got a vote had the jacket & trousers fit him.

YMMV, all IMO, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thrift bros @Cotton Dockers and @GMMcL for me this week. As HF said, I feel like the suit fits didnt fall within the challenge parameters.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pants too baggy and wrinkly. (And I generally don't like chinos with wool jackets.)

This.

---

Personally, I felt that it was kind of vague in general what that the parameters were, and I didn't really feel that any one fit over the next was more with in the spirit of the theme than any other. It was just a matter to me of what fits look best.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I dunno - don't most challenges come down to the best looking fits that meet the parameters? Some parameters are broad (and hence more inclusive) and some more specific and restrictive - but best looking will still carry the day over closest in the spirit of the theme, no?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont entirely disagree with that.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EFV's and Cotton Dockers would have got my votes, but I didn't like pocket square choice in either (funnily enough, it seems to be the same square in both). White linen would have worked better in CD's and perhaps a patterned light-coloured silk for EFV's.

YMMV, all IMO, etc, etc, etc.

No vote because of cream silk over white linen - rude!

My thrift bros @Cotton Dockers and @GMMcL for me this week. As HF said, I feel like the suit fits didnt fall within the challenge parameters.

Thanks, buddy. My goal in these contests is to either: 1) beat @in stitches and be king of the #menswear Jewz for one day (until he posts his next fit); or 2) combine with @in stitches to beat all gentile competitors. That's why you should play more @SeaJen , you get to be on our team. Plus, we control the media, which is nice.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That post made my day. Awesome in every way.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^^^ I dunno - don't most challenges come down to the best looking fits that meet the parameters?  Some parameters are broad (and hence more inclusive) and some more specific and restrictive - but best looking will still carry the day over closest in the spirit of the theme, no?

Sometimes. But not infrequently, it's just the best-looking fit/picture that wins.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But what if you call it a kippah? Can you still play?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads