• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singlechange
Ever since I purchased a basic Pelikan in 1977, I've preferred a fountain pen over any other writing implement. Three years ago I discovered vintage pens, fine ink and paper.
That photo is far far to small! Yes, the red pen is a Nakaya with their soft nib - the Japanese do a nice modern alternative to 'flexible' nibs. The Danitrio's are nice but are a bit boring when it comes to the line they lay down. The gold pen is a Coronet, it has a no 7 adjustable flex nib.

hisroadside

Reaction score
sorry for the late response i have been away for a while as it was the 14th (bastille day) anyway thank you first of all for all this info, im happy to see these pens are getting some love. some of you brought up some points id like to point out. first off, fountain pens can be great even if cheap. i have a 8EUR waterman wich ive dropped on the nib three times and bent back with a ruler in class and it works even beter now. as for being a lefty, i happen to be a lefty and i never really get any ink on my hands, I think its more about the paper though. the mont blanc ink is great and cheap, and you can get nifty eraseable ink that works with an chemical eraser pen that really works wonders its a french school boy's trick. I have a piston or cartiridge meisterstuck and i dont service or fill it everyday and it works fine so Im not sure about the salespersons advice on servicing your pen every day. and Finally someone mentioned tradition which is very important in who we are and giving importance to what we write which is a feeling I truly share and so Im very happy to hear that others have the same feeling. thank you all guys, it seems stupid but its really a pleasure to discuss these things.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mydad got me this meisterstueck mont blanc for my bday!

IMG_20110414_172422.jpg

GradSchooler

Reaction score
My grandparents, before they died, owned one of the few remaining pen shops in Western Canada (it's the Vancouver Pen Shop, for those who are interested). I've been around fountain pens my whole life. I think my very first was a Lamy Safari when I was about 7 years old. Now I use a Waterman Hemisphere as a day-to-day beater pen and a Mont Blanc Starwalker at home which my grandmother gave to me as a graduation present when I finished my B.A..

My students (who are now of the digital generation who never existed in a home without a computer) always give me queer looks when I whip out a fountain pen during class.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
I think my very first was a Lamy Safari when I was about 7 years old.

I actually use one of those every day. Great pen. Would go to something nicer, but I know that as soon as I do, I'll lose it...

youngScholar

Reaction score
I first got started on fountain pens when an older classmate sold me one of German make for about $8.

Since then I've collected about five. The ones which have gotten the most use are a Chinese Hero brand pen given to me by my mother (it had sat in a drawer for years) and a Parker 51 I found in a cabinet drawer belonging to my grandmother. The latter pen has my great-grandfather's name etched into it, and as proven to be immensely durable over the years.

I also bought a Parker 61 - the one with the capillary filling system - at an antique store a while back, but have yet to get it refurbished.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandparents, before they died, owned one of the few remaining pen shops in Western Canada (it's the Vancouver Pen Shop, for those who are interested). I've been around fountain pens my whole life. I think my very first was a Lamy Safari when I was about 7 years old. Now I use a Waterman Hemisphere as a day-to-day beater pen and a Mont Blanc Starwalker at home which my grandmother gave to me as a graduation present when I finished my B.A..

My students (who are now of the digital generation who never existed in a home without a computer) always give me queer looks when I whip out a fountain pen during class.

I love fountain pens. It's the only type of pen I use though I don't have any that are particularily fancy or nice. Just a standard Mont Blanc, a vintage (c. 1950) Parker "51" and a one-off handmade one. Where I work, my boss, uses nothing but fountain pens when sketching...it's pretty cool to watch.

pen-shot_02.jpg

pen-shot_01.jpg

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually associate fountain pens with good penmanship. Sadly it's an exception rather the norm.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
I actually use one of those every day. Great pen. Would go to something nicer, but I know that as soon as I do, I'll lose it...

They are great pens. Especially for the price. I always recommend anyone getting into fountain pens make a Safari their first purchase before they jump in with both feet and get something fancier (which oftentimes can be inferior).

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I love fountain pens. It's the only type of pen I use though I don't have any that are particularily fancy or nice. Just a standard Mont Blanc, a vintage (c. 1950) Parker "51" and a one-off handmade one. Where I work, my boss, uses nothing but fountain pens when sketching...it's pretty cool to watch.

pen-shot_02.jpg

pen-shot_01.jpg

Don't sell your collection short. That vintage '51 is worth a small fortune to a collector if it's in good condition.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sell your collection short. That vintage '51 is worth a small fortune to a collector if it's in good condition.

I've been told that. Mine came as part of a set, the fountain pen and mechanical pencil in a case (all of which I still have) along with the plastic wrap that sealed them. The pen uses the pump/bladder system for loading and storing the ink.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FP loving humor
laugh.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

zanderman

Reaction score
I write with a fountain pen, one from back in the 40's. The calligrapher from whom I bought it tells me that old nibs are the way to go, because now pen companies are stingy with ink flow and flex because people have forgotten how to write. I like a pen like a wet noodle. Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads