• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen

wetshaver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 69clyde
Very good pen, although I don't own any snap enclosure fountain pens as I prefer screw enclosure. The nib is 14k gold whereas the Mont Blanc is gold/platinum with the screw enclosure. My experience is...construction is important (obviously) but the most important is the channeling of the nib..I.e. How the ink arrives from the bladder (whether cartridge or otherwise) to the tip of the nib and the ink quality. The better the ink the better the flow. I have used dozens of ink types from dozens of different makers...I say this with the utmost conviction...there are many great pen manufactures, many, but Mont Blanc ink is second to no one. So, depending on how often you are going to use your instrumente d' script (I have pens I never use nor will ever use) and your price point, S.T. Dupont, Pelikan, Cartier, Parker, Mont Blanc or even Cross...write on brother, write on!
Thank you for your excellent feedback. To be honest, I do own (and use) the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen with M nib. It's the work of art, IMHO. Famous Chinese black lacquer by S.T. Dupont... Essentially, I was looking for a third-party opinion regarding this particular French-made fountain pen. My favourite ink is Diamine (made in the UK since 1864). Never tried Mont Blanc ink, though. Many thanks for your personal recommendation. I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, how did I miss out on this thread?

My favorite pens are:

Waterman Carene (their stub nib rules)
Parker "51"
Lamy 2000
Pilot Vanishing Point
Sailor 1911

My next pen purchase will likely be a Nakaya Decapod. My current favorite ink is J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Just got a Vanishing Point for Christmas from my wife. This is my first fountain pen, so I hope it's an enjoyable experience.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Parker 51 which I use most of the time at work and a ST Dupont Olympio medium which I have to admit is a very enjoyable pen to work with.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Used to use them. Had a leaker. End of story for me.

His Nibs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetshaver
Thank you for your excellent feedback.

To be honest, I do own (and use) the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen with M nib. It's the work of art, IMHO. Famous Chinese black lacquer by S.T. Dupont... Essentially, I was looking for a third-party opinion regarding this particular French-made fountain pen.

My favourite ink is Diamine (made in the UK since 1864). Never tried Mont Blanc ink, though. Many thanks for your personal recommendation. I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

The construction of Dupont pens is truly outstanding. Not being primarly a pen company, they really put a lot of actual pen companies to shame. I've always loved the snick of the cap as it re-sets on the pen's barrel. It reminds me of closing the door of a very fine automobile. :)

wetshaver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by His Nibs
The construction of Dupont pens is truly outstanding. Not being primarly a pen company, they really put a lot of actual pen companies to shame. I've always loved the snick of the cap as it re-sets on the pen's barrel. It reminds me of closing the door of a very fine automobile. :)

Absolutely true. That kind of sound is exceedingly pleasant. Very "S.T. Dupont" style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads