• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forest Green Sport Coat Question

WillisGeigerFan

Reaction score
I'm contemplating purchasing a double breasted vintage (narrow lapel) forest green sport coat (not with blazer buttons) and I'm wondering is forest green appropriate for Christmas parties or must the jacket be red - if you wish to be colorful at XMAS time? Any advice would be happy. I don't have a pic of it but if you watched Mad Men last sunday, think Pete's red jacket in forest green worsted wool instead of the cashmere that he was wearing.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid or black watch? His was plaid trimmed with satin if I remember correctly? Either is fine. I have a vintage green camel hair one I wear.

Remember that Mad Men is also fast approaching the time of breakdown of black tie rules.

I'm thinking about adding plaid to my black tie ensemble, for "creative" black tie events.

http://www.art.com/asp/View_HighZoom...%20Nina%20Leen

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WillisGeigerFan
is forest green appropriate for Christmas parties or must the jacket be red - if you wish to be colorful at XMAS time?

This is very peculiar question.

WillisGeigerFan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Solid or black watch? His was plaid trimmed with satin if I remember correctly? Either is fine. I have a vintage green camel hair one I wear.

Remember that Mad Men is also fast approaching the time of breakdown of black tie rules.

I'm thinking about adding plaid to my black tie ensemble, for "creative" black tie events.

http://www.art.com/asp/View_HighZoom...%20Nina%20Leen

Thank you. It's solid green, no satin, and quite vintage looking. I'm sorry if the question seemed peculiar. Maybe I should rephrase...if I'm going to an XMAS party that is not formal, is wearing a solid forest green jacket appropriate or is the primary/lead choice red. I just wouldn't want to look out of place in green. I was thinking that green is fine, too, but I value the opinions of the wise (note the omission of a 3 letter word following "wise") persons here. Also, in general, for XMAS times, I'd value opinions to what to pair with forest green. I was thinking grey or navy gabardine trousers, crisp white shirt and a very subtle repp tie with red, green, and navy.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forest green is a fine color for a blazer year round, and should be seen more often. DB, I'm not so sure about. Never been a fan of DB blazers, they just look way too yaghty for my taste. Certainly for one party a year it'll be fine.

As for the appropriatness of green at a christmas party... I just don't know what to say. Of course it is.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of having to wear green or red to a Christmas party... Maybe I go to the wrong parties...

But a green sport coat sounds like it can be worn year-round. I'm looking for a dark green one myself, just for general wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads