• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit, no budget restrictions

WeakMonday

Reaction score
Which Caraceni though? There are apparently at least 4... one of which does RTW haha
biggrin.gif

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Caraceni, I believe, is the only one we are talking about. The others are irrelevant - one is not in Milan, one is RTW and one is unrelated to the family.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two Careceni's in Milan. Ferdinando and A. Caraceni. Ferdinando is run by a Caraceni daughter. The other is run by Carlo and Massimiliano Andreacchio. Carlo is married to another daughter of the original Caraceni.

Wouldn't call A. Caraceni a modern looking suit that this guy is looking for. It has a vintage pedigree much like an Ambrosi trousers. Musella Dembech would be a more modern approach and look. The father was employed at Caraceni many years ago.

A. Caraceni may make the best trouser ever. Have never seen an equal to the workmanship in their trousers.

Not sure but I think it would run 6 to 8000.00 euro to get started there.

Have known a couple men who went to Caraceni to try a suit and when Caraceni perceived they were just a name on their bucket list to get a suit made, they politely declined to make them a suit.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's more, he actually worked for A. Caraceni if I'm not mistaken.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
L1991 listen to Despos, he is the pro, not the rest of us dilettantes.
Looked up the definition. That's a good word to know

What's more, he actually worked for A. Caraceni if I'm not mistaken.
Did not work there. Worked three years with a tailor from their shop who did work there in the 60's to early 70's but worked for him in the US. I know their methods and construction.

My comment about being turned away from Caraceni was at the outpost in Rome.

Last edited:

jedwards

Reaction score

​Not sure but I think it would run 6 to 8000.00 euro to get started there.

Have known a couple men who went to Caraceni to try a suit and when Caraceni  perceived they were just a name on their bucket list to get a suit made, they politely declined to  make them a suit. 

More tailors should turn people away.
There are too many people taking this 'bucketlist' approach now, because of what they read on some blog I feel.
Let me clarify - nothing wrong with getting your information from a blog or social media, but if you are just blindly following this trend for wanting whoever such and such an 'expert' has recently decreed as the 'best' (read: most expensive) but don't really have any prior understanding of suits and style but are instead taking the 'Russian' approach to shopping - "Give me the most expensive thing you have in this store", then yes, I can understand why a tailor who loves his work would want to turn such figures away.

Bravo to that particular Caraceni.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This incident preceded the internet. There is a new paradigm, to try a tailor like you try restaurants.

For the OP, this is what I tell everyone. You will be best served if by trying on enough jackets so you can discern the differences in silhouettes to distinguish what works/looks best for your body type. In the process you have to learn what your fitting issues are.
If you don't know what your fitting issues you won't appreciate the benefit of custom clothing.

If you get a suit made at a top notch tailor and your only criteria is, do I look like this slim fit suit from a picture in an add, the two will never reconcile. If you aren't aware of your fit issues and proportions you won't appreciate the nuance of custom clothing

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally you find a patient tailor who is devoted to spending time on your suit as this is your first one. Chances are you'll want to alter something about the suit if this is your first one, and you want a tailor who is willing to accommodate your alterations (if possible of course).

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he should start with a proper shirt. Shirts with deep armholes will be a problem with a proper made coat.

Styleeditor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would say focus on the fit, style and proportion - go for classic and timeless style. I would recommend charcoal grey suit for your first suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads