• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Blazer/Suit-DB?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm generally a proponent of buying things you'll enjoy wearing rather than buying a load of boring conservative 'staple' items before getting anything interesting; but still, I would not really recommend a DB as your very first suit. As the second, maybe...

^^^ this

I love DB, but even a non conformist should go along the grain of common perception for an interview. Get 2 or 3 SB suits in staple colors, then go DB route if that takes your fancy.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the same Idea will apply to a SB?

any better arguments?

I am sure when you brought your first suit, even for a graduate you will start buying more

A navy SB suit raises no eyebrows.

A DB suit on a young man will raise some eyebrows and attract attention. Seeing this day after day will quickly reveal the individual is lacking in suit variety.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any better arguments?

I am sure when you brought your first suit, even for a graduate you will start buying more

A navy SB suit raises no eyebrows.

A DB suit on a young man will raise some eyebrows and attract attention. Seeing this day after day will quickly reveal the individual is lacking in suit variety.

A DB raises no eyebrows either (except among the nail-biters here) :rolleyes:

I do believe that the OP was talking about a suit for interviews. No one should go to work at a place that requires suits every day with one suit.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do believe that the OP was talking about a suit for interviews. No one should go to work at a place that requires suits every day with one suit.

Are you mental?

A double breasted suit on a 21 year old will raise eyebrows. I'm in NYC every single day, and the number of SB to DB is about 1000:1. DB is not the norm, regardless of how much you want to convince yourself it is.

In fact, I'd argue that the people on here are far more accepting to a DB than the average person.

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you mental?

A double breasted suit on a 21 year old will raise eyebrows. I'm in NYC every single day, and the number of SB to DB is about 1000:1. DB is not the norm, regardless of how much you want to convince yourself it is.

In fact, I'd argue that the people on here are far more accepting to a DB than the average person.

No, I don't believe I'm mental, but I do believe you're an officious newb jerk.

That aside, what I am saying is that, aside from you apparently, I doubt that anyone in NYC or otherwise will give a rat's ass weather it's SB or DB in an interview.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

I'd have to agree, based on my own experience. I remember wearing a knit tie to my friend's church and people were blown away by it; I can't imagine how much more attention I'd attract wearing a DB. Now, whether or not it affects a person's chances of getting hired in an interview process is debatable, but I don't think it's hard to argue that it would certainly attract attention, for good or for bad.

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score

No, I don't believe I'm mental, but I do believe you're an officious newb jerk.

That aside, what I am saying is that, aside from you apparently, I doubt that anyone in NYC or otherwise will give a rat's ass weather it's SB or DB in an interview.

+1

I'm 26, wear something DB most every week at a place where "dressed up" is an oxford with a solid tie, and no one has *ever* called attention to it for the fact it is DB. Come to think of it, no one has noticed working buttonholes, lapel roll, or any of number of other SF affections. I notice that stuff when I get ready in the morning or when I'm buying clothes (and on the Internet, which is srs bsns), but if you think in 95% of the offices out there anyone notices beyond the fact you are decently groomed and look put together, I think you are very much mistaken.

Certainly not trying to say "no one cares, so why bother", but if OP likes DB suits, and gets one in a conservative color (and it fits well), I do think it would be fine for interviews.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any better arguments?

I don't think so. A DB will definitely stick out compared to everyone else wearing a SB suit. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it will lead to people noticing that you only have one suit.

MrPsellus

Reaction score
Really? In Manhattan, SBs outnumber DBs a thousand to one? That...changes my views on the subject, to be perfectly honest. I thought that they had come back to the extent that the number was approaching something more similar to 10-1, at least. I don't want to be a peacock that badly, at least with my first suit.

I suppose I should give details on my chest size. I've lost weight recently, and my primary interest in slim-fitting suits has less to do with trend than, well, flaunting the hours on the treadmill and the times I've passed up dessert. I was interested in a navy DB because they were a way of being fashionably 'retro' without being 60s and still being conservative. I love the look, and will probably end up purchasing one the moment I can afford having multiple suits.

I'll probably end up buying another sport coat, or a suit inspired by traditional English menswear this and this.

So my chest size is, well, somewhat normal. My shoulders are medium to wide, but my chest is naturally rotund; "big boned" rather than fat. I'm concerned about the sizing of suits form Suitsupply, so I'd like to get some feedback on that if anyone has any experience. How do I make my neck look shorter, though? I was thinking some kind of high collar-a little 70s, like Michael Caine in Get Carter. I'm not sure what lapel or tie with would be optimal, either.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? In Manhattan, SBs outnumber DBs a thousand to one? That...changes my views on the subject, to be perfectly honest. I thought that they had come back to the extent that the number was approaching something more similar to 10-1, at least. I don't want to be a peacock that badly, at least with my first suit.
No way is it 10 to 1. Maybe 1000 to 1 was a bit of an exaggeration, but I can go days without seeing a DB, even though a lot of people in the financial district wear suits. In fact, the only guy that I know who regularly wears a DB suit is this short white haired money manager in his mid 60s. Then again, he also wears what appear to be slippers without socks with the suit, so who knows what he's up to. If you like DB, definitely get one...but start with SB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads