• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jasonleb1

Reaction score
Which 15% off is this?

Check Filsons Facebook. If you download the LikeItReal app and take two pics of Filson products (you can take a picnof an online picture if you dont own a Filson product) and share them on your Facebook you'll get a code for 15% off.

jeannoob

Reaction score

I've just finished up school and am now exploring the tech/start-up industry now (a.k.a entrepreneurial endeavor) so my requirements are pretty flexible. I just need something that's versatile, durable and comfortable- and preferably not ugly. I thought the rucksack might fit the description.
The briefcase seems great but I've always had some shoulder problems with messengers and it doesn't seem as grab-and-go as the rucksack. Maybe I'll get a Filson briefcase further down the line.
Should I reconsider pulling the trigger on this?

Well, from what you're looking for, the rucksack is definitely durable and aesthetically pleasing . However, in terms of comfort and versatility I personally would not recommend it. Unless you plan to pack light every time or carry the bag for short amounts of time, the narrow bridle shoulder straps can get quite uncomfortable along with no back support. On a heavy load, I found that the bridle straps begin to dig into your shoulders and it also pains your neck. Also, the two leather buckles can get quite tedious if you need to access your bag frequently (I just left it undone most of the time).

Currently for school I rotate between my Filson 256 and a Deuter backpack (for heavier stuff). The 256 can get heavy as well, but when it does I just carry it by hand.

I think this might be more suitable for you - http://store.archivalclothing.com/products/copy-of-archival-rucksack-gray-waxed

myk7000

Reaction score
My first post, devoted to praising Filson.

Got a 257, and think it's a very well constructed bag. Was a bit worried that it would be too large for a guy my size (5'7" 145 lbs), but looks fine and not too oversized. Saw the 256 in person, and found that it wouldn't carry much other than a small laptop, so that's why I went with the 257.

Hopefully this lasts me the rest of my life (which I cannot expect from other bags).

Cheers!

hkpm

Reaction score
I'm 5'5" and have a zippered tote. I thought the only difference was the zipper and don't issues with it dragging on the ground but I usually throw it over my shoulder. I just tried holding it in my hand and it does not touch the ground. It's probably got at least two or three inches between the bottom of the bag and the floor barefoot.

Thanks for the info. My package is still in the sorting facility of USPS in NYC, hope to get it soon
ffffuuuu.gif

mcbrown

Reaction score

To 256 owners, do you find this true?
Thanks!

No. I can fit my 17" laptop in there easily. I can't imagine carrying anything bigger than the 256 on a daily basis, honestly. I guess it depends on how much other stuff you want to carry along with it.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Hi everyone, I recently started looking for a new rucksack, and when I saw pictures of the Filson x Vans Vault rucksack, I knew I wanted one.

https://svpply.com/item/104999/Vans_Vault_X_Filson_rucksack_in

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. Would anyone know where I can get my hands on one, or know someone who is selling one?

I believe this bag was a limited run from a few years ago (2010?). I haven't seen one for sale myself, but it seems they have appeared on ebay from time to time.

Mandor

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll get the regular Filson rucksack in that case. The only thing I'm worried about is if the shoulder straps will end up digging in, like someone else mentioned in this thread. I plan on using the rucksack mostly for travelling, which means holding a sweater, some food and water, travel book, etc. In the end, it could get pretty heavy. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Do you know of anyway I could get pads for the shoulder straps to prevent this from happening?

MikeSwartz

Reaction score
No. I can fit my 17" laptop in there easily. I can't imagine carrying anything bigger than the 256 on a daily basis, honestly. I guess it depends on how much other stuff you want to carry along with it.
Huh. I have a 257 and a 13" laptop, and with a padded sleeve I can barely slip it in without scraping it against the zippers. I would never be able to use a 256 and I carry a few cords, a hard drive, a 13" laptop, an iPad, a kindle, a notepad and a smattering of adapters and thumb drives. Theres room if I wanted to shove more stuff in there but with that setup everything is nice and accessible and it's not very heavy. Also, I'm 6'0 and carrying the bag it doesn't look oversized at all. Perfect briefcase size. I know for me a 256 would be very impractical. Not as much organization or space and the fact that it's smaller and lighter doesn't make up for it.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Filson items are part of the ongoing BB sale of 25% off, but they have limited items. My SA mentioned that the 257 Tan are down to 2 items on inventory. Plenty of Otter Green

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads