• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Fish

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mmmmm, pork blood! even better! Pork Bung! (still haven't figured out what exactly that is)

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
wait, seafood village is actually in that target/chuck e cheese mall? never would have guessed there'd be a good seafood place there.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
yeah, it's a super place; astonishing fish, both quality and variety (somewhat surprising because filipino markets aren't typically like that). Fish King is good, also, but you're really paying a premium price there for a much narrower selection.

That's very exciting news. I live in Mt. Washington so that's just a few minutes away. I had no idea. Yes, I thought Fish King was kind of pricey and they didn't have what I was looking for (Sardines!) either time I went.

McCall's in Los Feliz is probably the extreme example of that - price premium for tiny selection. Last time I went there I realized it would have been cheaper to eat out.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i taped a radio show with John Rabe there. it was the first time i'd been. i've been to seafood markets all over (i'm a geek), and this was MOST impressive.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i taped a radio show with John Rabe there. it was the first time i'd been. i've been to seafood markets all over (i'm a geek), and this was MOST impressive.

Sorry, which place are you talking about?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
McCall's in Los Feliz is probably the extreme example of that - price premium for tiny selection. Last time I went there I realized it would have been cheaper to eat out.
they can get almost anything, and will, given a days notice. not sure if that's commonplace.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry, correct name is Seafood City

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
they can get almost anything, and will, given a days notice. not sure if that's commonplace.

Yes, I do like those guys a lot and the quality is outstanding, but it's very expensive. They also have oddball things, often not in the display. I got a Brazilian picanha roast from them once that was fantastic, though they've never had it when I've asked for it since.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Yes, I do like those guys a lot and the quality is outstanding, but it's very expensive. They also have oddball things, often not in the display. I got a Brazilian picanha roast from them once that was fantastic, though they've never had it when I've asked for it since.

same here. they were my motivation for starting an overpriced meats thread. the quality and the cuts that they have are fantastic though. i invariably spend 20 minutes there even though it's the size of my closet.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went in looking for something to cook for a dinner party for 4. I wanted a bird but they insisted that the birds were too small. They turned me on to the Kurubota pork roast - it ended up costing $56! It was really ******* good, I must admit, but I was a little put off by the price. She'd cut my portion and wrapped it before I had any idea what it would cost.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
mmmmm, pork blood! even better! Pork Bung! (still haven't figured out what exactly that is)
It is what it sounds like, though I think you already knew. Biggest part of the casing. Blood is good. I still can't figure out why the blood in chinatown markets looks like red jello.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I think this is a really important point. I live in Baltimore, supposedly a coastal, seafood-y kind of town, and I can't tell you how impossible it is to get good, fresh fish around here of any variety. Even the places that purport to be fish markets really get their product just about the same way as Safeway. It's a real shame. As a result, I really don't cook much fish at all. I mean, it's hard enough just to get a fresh ******* ROCKFISH, which comes right out of the Chesapeake, leave alone any of these more "exotic" species y'all are talking about.

Gotta say this mirrors my last few trips to Baltimore... every seafood place we went to was featuring fish from half a globe away... even one of the crab shacks was using west coast stuff...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Gotta say this mirrors my last few trips to Baltimore... every seafood place we went to was featuring fish from half a globe away... even one of the crab shacks was using west coast stuff...

perfectly understandable. anyone in their right mind would prefer to eat dungeness to blue crab

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
perfectly understandable. anyone in their right mind would prefer to eat dungeness to blue crab

ouch

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think you will enjoy this educational video:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads