• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite boat shoes?

bijox

Reaction score
What are your fav boat shoes currently in 2011? I searched and found good threads but they were from 2005. Looking for some suggestions for right now? TIA

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bijox
What are your fav boat shoes currently in 2011? I searched and found good threads but they were from 2005. Looking for some suggestions for right now? TIA

My vintage Brooks shell ones I am wearing at the moment.
tounge.gif

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one needs to be careful not to over-think the classics so, for me, it's Sperry's Topsider in brown. They wear like slippers, get a great patina over time, breathe surprisingly well with no socks, and last for years even with repeated exposure to salt water.

Besides, if you're on a boat, you're usually "top side," eh?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have probably owned around 30 pairs of boat shoes in the past 8-9 years (through high school and college). The first 15-20 pair were all Top Siders and they were all great, lasted forever and were equally appropriate for dredging around campus or hitting the bars at night (or in my case mid afternoon). Only reason I got rid of them was because they would either start to stink (obviously fixable if I wasn't an idiot) or were casualties to parties.

I tried to step out for a couple of years in college and purchased a slew of more expensive boat shoes (from RL, BB and even a random pair from Ferragamo) as well as Blucher mocs from Quoddy. While all these shoes cost me a considerable amount more they never really showed me why the increase in price was necessary. So I went back to Top Siders.

Even though I try to not wear boat shoes now that I am in the real world, I still think Top Siders are the best bet. I know you are looking for a more creative or diamond-in-the-ruff answer, but at the end of the day you can't beat the ease, utility and bang for your buck that you get from Sperry.

dinogj

Reaction score
Personally I like the natural leather sebago boat shoes, they are an exellent bang for your buck, and my pair has lasted through three going on four summers of heavy use.

I also have a few sperrys in novelty colors like red and canary yellow, and I use those for actual sailing. I feel like on my boat and the yacht club bar are the only time I can get away with them =P

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fav boat shoes are Sperrys and Allen Edmonds. I've never tried Quoddy yet but look forward to.
Right now I'm wearing a pair by Timberland that are in their 3rd year. I'm suprised at the durability of them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB in orange and red. I believe they are made by Sperry but you can get them on one of the BB sales.

fredmull

Reaction score
i have sperry suede ts's in green. cheap? yes, but comfy and easily replaced. that being said, they're made in china which speaks to their cheapness......

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Personally I like the natural leather sebago boat shoes, they are an exellent bang for your buck, and my pair has lasted through three going on four summers of heavy use.

I also have a few sperrys in novelty colors like red and canary yellow, and I use those for actual sailing. I feel like on my boat and the yacht club bar are the only time I can get away with them =P

Love the Sebago too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads