• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English lessons

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sat in a briefing in toulouse the other week and the speaker said we had two choices of frequency in which to listen to his presentation...HF and VHF...puzzled looks..."you have eet in high french accent or you can have eet in very high french accent"
I know a girl who =

- spent 12 months studying at Vancouver,
- went several time to the US
- had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...)
- has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French)
- watches CNN at home

I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV.

Nevertheless,  my accent sounds much less French than hers.

So i would say my accent is fair.

French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best).

Hope i have been clear .

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T,June 12 2005,18:52
sat in a briefing in toulouse the other week and the speaker said we had two choices of frequency in which to listen to his presentation...HF and VHF...puzzled looks..."you have eet in high french accent or you can have eet in very high french accent"
I know a girl who = - spent 12 months studying at Vancouver, - went several time to the US - had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...) - has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French) - watches CNN at home I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV. Nevertheless, Â my accent sounds much less French than hers. So i would say my accent is fair. French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best). Hope i have been clear .
What's your first language??? Â Were you tutored by medieval Latin monks. Â You know, your countryman Montaigne learnt Latin as his first language.... edit: for typos.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(ernest @ June 13 2005,22:43)
Originally Posted by m@T,June 12 2005,18:52
I know a girl who = - spent 12 months studying at Vancouver, - went several time to the US - had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...) - has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French) - watches CNN at home I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV. Nevertheless, my accent sounds much less French than hers. So i would say my accent is fair. French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best). Hope i have been clear .
What's your first language??? Were you tutored my medieval Latin monks. You know, you countryman Montaigne learnt Latin as his first language....
I'm waiting for a response like: "My first language is that of love" (What? he is French after all) Jon.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From his post elsewhere, it appears ernest has been going to the Jean-Marie Le Pen language school.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a response like: "My first language is that of love" (What? he is French after all) Jon.
You're probably right. Men swoon when they hear me speak French.
biggrin.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ June 15 2005,10:30) I'm waiting for a response like: "My first language is that of love" (What? he is French after all) Jon.
You're probably right. Â Men swoon when they hear me speak French. Â
biggrin.gif

I wonder if that works the opposite way. That is, do French women swoon when they hear a native English speaker (esp. an American) speak French? And do they swoon from the heart or are they just faint from the butchery of their language? I've been told a few times, when I had stayed in Paris and in the countryside on extended visits, that I had an attractive accent. I wasn't sure if they were yanking me chain or not.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say there's a certain appeal to an anglophone attempting to speak French.
tounge.gif
Seriously, I'd say most French-speaking women would probably find your accent attractive in French. The comments you received were probably genuine. As for me, I spent too many years correcting students, it leaves me relatively indifferent.

alchimiste

Reaction score
What about people saying "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir ?" without any clue what it means. A man did it to me once... I swiftly went out of the elevator.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should you care, I would click on "Edit" and change "did it to me" to "asked me that".

alchimiste

Reaction score
Should you care, I would click on "Edit" and change "did it to me" to "asked me that".
esprit mal placÃ
00a9.png

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest, please discontinue the lessons. I think I speak for us all when I say that we are entertained by your mistakes in english.
I do not make mistake anymore?
mad.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ Sep. 03 2004,03:48) Ernest, please discontinue the lessons. I think I speak for us all when I say that we are entertained by your mistakes in english.
I do not make mistake anymore?
mad.gif

See above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads