• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green colors

darkoak

Reaction score
Could the experts please describe what the EG colors "brandy" and "chestnut" look like, and where they stand in the EG color spectrum? Thanks

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't help you with brandy, but EG's chestnut antique is the prototypical British tan: it's a bit darker than what Americans tend to call tan with a substantial red component. Somewhat similar to A-E's chili or Alden's walnut.

darkoak

Reaction score
Thanks, T4phage.

A lot of the Japanese sites with pics are no longer there. For example, the Jun Kuwana site is now much smaller and only contains bespoke shoes. Where can we find somewhat comprehensive list and pics of EG shoes and colors?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, T4phage.  

A lot of the Japanese sites with pics are no longer there.  For example, the Jun Kuwana site is now much smaller and only contains bespoke shoes.  Where can we find somewhat comprehensive list and pics of EG shoes and colors?
The only places that I know that has a comprehensive list of colours would be your local EG stockists (since they would have the complete swatchbook). Even their newest catalogue is incomplete with regards to what EG can make. I would suggest you call/email them to send you a copy.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I almost wanted to post that EG does not have a colour "Brandy", but a check in the catalogue revealed, they do, but only in willow grain calf. Willow is embossed leather, just like scotch grain, although in this case the pattern resembles the bark of a tree (a willow tree, I suppose, but I'm not well up on my botany). It's that type of a pattern no self-respecting Gladstone bag would have done without in the days before WW1. That's the willow calf in "Brandy", although I think it comes out too dark in this picture:
brandy.jpg
In the spectrum of EG colours "Chestnut" and "Edwardian" are quite close together, with "Chestnut" being a bit darker. But as all the final colouring is applied to the finished shoes, results can vary from batch to batch. I have two pairs in "Chestnut", one being considerably lighter than the other one; even a touch lighter than another pair in "Edwardian". You'll find a number of EG shoes here: http://www.edjones1192.com/ Definitely more than on EG's own site.

fkl118

Reaction score
Here's a pair of RLPL shoes in Brandy: I don't know if "Brandy" in RLPL correlates with another name in EG.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took a look at the EG swatchbook today. As bengal-stripe notes, brandy is a willow calf colouring. It is actually a bit more of a mid-brown than I would have imagined. I would have thought there would have been a tad more red or burgundy in it. Which brings us to bauxite, a reddish-hued brown that is in the swatchbook, but which I have yet to see in a finished shoe. I thought it quite a nice colour.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
TimelessRider: You lucky sodding bastard.

medwards: there were a few bauxite shoes at the EG trunk show, forget which models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads