• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From my view, EG has increased their prices (I thought price increase was a bit less than 5%) because its high demand all over the world is larger every year and the Brexit is starting to affect their costs.  They are running full capacity and the Brexit it is a real issue for them (for any british importer). Should they want to keep their margins and to be on top of the english quality RTW rank they have no option.  They just can do it.  My believe is that someother english makers will follow soon. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy your new shoes.

Did you read my previous post? The Dundee has gone up 27.5% in 2 years whilst CPI in the UK compounded over that period was less than 2%. That's taking the piss. I'm reading here "their at full capacity, they have no choice BS" - this is a terrible way to run a business, punish and alienate your customers, if they want to make more money then invest, expand, take on apprentices, look at ways to be more productive.

chifromdachi

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I find great satisfaction in originality and unique makeups, which is why I always incorporate lesser known or infrequently used colors in my MTO's.

You both look absolutely fantastic. I love the royal blue windowpane suit, the lapel width is perfect. Lovely shoes as well!

Thank you, @MrVenneri

schmallo15

Reaction score
Guys - I've been searching for a replacement for my Dark Oak/Country Calf Galway since I sold my last pair due to fit issues. The 82 last just didn't work for my foot. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement because I don't like how dark these recent batches of dark oak look.

I have been emailing with Steve at Gentlemen's Footwear about it and he says that Burnt Pine with extra burnishing can get me the old DOAK/CC look I'm after. I asked if he'd consider a GMTO and he said he may consider stocking the boot if there's enough interest. I am definitely in so give Steve a buzz if you're interested!

Anyway, here's the blurb from his Affiliate Thread:

Good day gents!
Here are some Edward Green Galway Pre-Order Update!

#2. Galway / Burnt Pine (slightly darker burnishing overall to imitate the old lighter Dark Oak) & Walnut CC shaft / 202 Last / Choice of B1 leather sole or Dainite Sole - This is sort of an interest check but I am thinking of stocking this make up for the store :)

Let me know if any of you gents are interested!
As always, our Pre-Orders can be ordered with different width options and instep adjustments as well.
Cheers!
Steve

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hiya gents! X-post from our affiliate thread.
Here are some Edward Green Galway Pre-Order Updates....

#1. Galway / Bourbon Shell Cordovan & Chestnut Utah shaft / 202 Last / Choice of B1 leather sole or Dainite Sole - This make up is good to go and we have 2 more slots available!

Just to clarify, #2 Pre-Order is not going to be plain/normal burnt pine but darkened/burnished to imitate the old lighter Dark Oak color.

#2. Galway / Burnt Pine (slightly darker burnishing overall to imitate the old lighter Dark Oak) & Walnut CC shaft / 202 Last / Choice of B1 leather sole or Dainite Sole - This is sort of an interest check but I am thinking of stocking this make up for the store :)

Let me know if any of you gents are interested!
As always, our Pre-Orders can be ordered with different width options and instep adjustments as well.
Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Guys - I've been searching for a replacement for my Dark Oak/Country Calf Galway since I sold my last pair due to fit issues. The 82 last just didn't work for my foot. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement because I don't like how dark these recent batches of dark oak look.

I have been emailing with Steve at Gentlemen's Footwear about it and he says that Burnt Pine with extra burnishing can get me the old DOAK/CC look I'm after. I asked if he'd consider a GMTO and he said he may consider stocking the boot if there's enough interest. I am definitely in so give Steve a buzz if you're interested!

Anyway, here's the blurb from his Affiliate Thread:

No ****, I was just talking about that makeup the other day! Guess I'll need to email Steve...

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they have just whacked the prices up by around £50 or 7% but no brexit should not be a reason to increase the prices in pounds, it would not make any difference, it's a UK company and it manufactures in the UK. Yes they do import leathers from France so those leathers will now be costing more but the current shoe range was manufactured from leathers purchased way before brexit. Their only real concern is their pricing for international markets, so when they are priced in dollars for US or Euros for Europe then they will need to adjust their prices upwards to negate the weaker pound. This price increase does not help them with exporting their wares which has been one of the benefits of brexit for manufacturers and I find it actually pretty offensive on a product that is already kite flying the outer atmosphere of luxury retail. I hope superdenim did a sale or return arrangement because I just can't see their customer base buying in at a £1000 a pop!

Yes they have just whacked the prices up by around £50 or 7% but no brexit should not be a reason to increase the prices in pounds, it would not make any difference, it's a UK company and it manufactures in the UK. Yes they do import leathers from France so those leathers will now be costing more but the current shoe range was manufactured from leathers purchased way before brexit. Their only real concern is their pricing for international markets, so when they are priced in dollars for US or Euros for Europe then they will need to adjust their prices upwards to negate the weaker pound. This price increase does not help them with exporting their wares which has been one of the benefits of brexit for manufacturers and I find it actually pretty offensive on a product that is already kite flying the outer atmosphere of luxury retail. I hope superdenim did a sale or return arrangement because I just can't see their customer base buying in at a £1000 a pop!

Did you read my previous post? The Dundee has gone up 27.5% in 2 years whilst CPI in the UK compounded over that period was less than 2%. That's taking the piss. I'm reading here "their at full capacity, they have no choice BS" - this is a terrible way to run a business, punish and alienate your customers, if they want to make more money then invest, expand, take on apprentices, look at ways to be more productive.
Yes I read both of your post. I stated that they have increased their prices almost up to a 5% this time. I checked that percentage base on the Dover model on the EG english (EU?) webpage. Brexit, full capacity and continous high demand it is not an excuse. They are real factors to increase prices in a company like EG. You can check today´s fluctuation of the GBP. No joke for and importer of high quality leather. It is clear that your entrepenurial thinking with regards pricing policy, brand positioning and generation of revenues differs from EG´s one. Why to expand?. If they expand what prices will you get?

Cheers.

benf

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your view @Zapasman. I think several factors are worth pointing out:-
- their last increase was in Jan this year. Having raised prices now as a direct response following brexit, will there be another in 3 mths time?
- EG has a v loyal client base. Perhaps the most ardent of any premium shoe brand? It's much cheaper to hold and nurture your client base than acquire new ones. I see this increase as rather opportunistic. Others may not agree but as someone evaluating EG as an option, I see this as 'punishment' for being loyal.

IIUC, it was only in the relatively recent past when EG was experiencing quality control issues amidst some liquidity concerns? Those problems are clearly behind them.

As I've stated in other posts, I've only been interested in this segment the past 6mths. I agree to an extent that EG has an 'Englishness' v GG with their more European elements. The former i'd say is more a factor in their classic models (Chelsea, Dover, Galway). Their product line has been expanding and the newer models are more fashion forward than classic IMO. So you're asking a new buyer to choose EG based on
- fit
- style
- quality
- marketing and promotions

This is a competitive market with no shortage of options. There're new makers appearing all the time and social media plus SF makes it relatively easy to build a brand and following. It's doubtful if the market can support this growth. There're multiple makers in Japan doing beautiful work. It's only time before Westerners discover them.

Style is easily imitable. In terms of quality, I've found them a little short of i'd expect at this price point. Doak looks rather 'dull' in my view and the current batch of burgundy is somewhat lighter. And the waist is not beveled like G&Gs.

Since I began my odyssey, I've purchased one pair of EG (Inverness) and 4 pairs of G&G, with 1-2 MTOs to come. Partly I've fallen for the promotions that G&G seem to run on a regular basis (Brexit, patina FOC, MTO). Having said that, I do like them (and they fit) and I think their finishing is of higher standard than EG. It almost radiates and 'looks' expensive even to a non-shoe person.

Finally, a lot of us do not have the benefit of visiting a stockist and trying shoes on. Many posters have experiences where the shoes don't fit and end up selling for a loss. Even the switch to resin lasts has altered the fitting. At these prices and with regular above-CPI increases, it'd be great if they can offer some kind of a trial service when a customer can try and return unworn shoes for a reasonable fee including 2-way postage.

Bottom line is that they're expanding the product line to broaden the client base and price increases is needed to support this. At the same time, they're alienating their loyal clients. Expanding capacity is a medium-term decision faced by every successful business. To say you're at capacity, expand product lines and increase prices is short-term-ism.

My 2c worth.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I read both of your post.  I stated that they have increased their prices almost up to a 5% this time.  I checked that percentage base on the Dover model on the EG english (EU?) webpage. Brexit, full capacity and continous high demand it is not an excuse.  They are real factors to increase prices in a company like EG.  You can check today´s fluctuation of the GBP. No joke for and importer of high quality leather. It is clear that your entrepenurial thinking with regards pricing policy, brand positioning and  generation of revenues differs from EG´s one. Why to expand?. If they expand what prices will you get?

Cheers.

Funny how you don’t highlight CPI compounded for the last 2 years is at less than 2%. Let’s just ignore the fact that inflation has been running at near negative rates in the UK of recent.

I stated that they have increased their prices almost up to a 5% this time.

The Caudale was £780 in February, it then went to £815 and has now jumped to £870, that’s an increase of 11.5% in less than 8 months, well above the almost 5% you suggest.

Brexit, full capacity and continous high demand it is not an excuse.They are real factors to increase prices in a company like EG.

Brexit would not of had an effect on the production costs of the majority of their current stock and not all of the materials used in production are imported. But even if Brexit is a legitimate reason to increase prices going forward it doesn’t explain their double digit price increases pre-brexit.

Full capacity - believe it or not most good business worth their salt run at full capacity.

Continuous high demand - no argument they do have some very popular styles but some of their models don’t sell so well. The St James was scrapped as a RTW line in less than 12 months of launch because it sold so badly.

You can check today´s fluctuation of the GBP.

Oh! the flash crash : )

Why to expand?.

To meet the continuous high demand you clearly suggest is there. That’s good business sense or entreupneniual thinking.

If they expand what prices will you get?

Expansion has the portential to increase revenues and market share, those factors alone help negate internal pricing pressures. Expansion also has the potential to increase productivity, higher productivity reduces your unit cost. Continually increasing prices well above inflation has the potential to damage your brand. damage your brand you run the risk of losing your customer base; when you lose customer loyalty it rarely ever comes back. As benf points out this is incredibly competitive market, there is huge choice for the consumer and their product lines already looked toppy with-in the market they compete in.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ike_hiking_boots
So do you think other english makers won´t follow price increases in the next weeks?. So do you think that EG´s demand will come down now?. So do you think EG should become much bigger and expand operations easily to be like C&J to keep prices down and make more revenue?. Maybe EG managment team is becoming fool (they know better than us how much competitive is the market)

Last edited:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea what other English shoe makers will do in the following weeks, will have to wait and see. However most of the other English shoe maker aren't kite flying their prices so an increase inline with inflation is hardly a problem. Clearly the Jermyn Street store saw a spike in sales/demand post brexit due to the weakening pound, we know this from general post-brexit news reports, it's been like a 10 to 15% discount for tourists. But if management just whack up prices by the same amount it'll just negate the benefit of a weakened pound – that would be counter-productive; and the pound is unlikley to fall another 10/15% – but who knows? No EG does not have to expand to be as large C&J but their wholesale market is hardly booming – that's one area they could really focus on expanding and perhaps another store in London or elsewhere?

atia2

Reaction score
I don't know if Edward Green is a net importer or exporter. However, regarding its import of raw materials, it will be considering more than just the recent weakness in sterling. It has to consider potential future currency downside and the real prospect of import (and export) tariffs being imposed in the event of a "hard" Brexit. The business environment is rather uncertain at present. Risks don't always pay off.

Furthermore, I doubt that production is as easily scalable as other posters suggest. English shoe factories are only semi-automated. They rely on highly-skilled people practising a rarefied craft. EG can't just open a factory in China and double production overnight. The lead time to replicate its current operation, if that's even possible, would be many, many years.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SydneyBySail