• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTMD

Reaction score
Now that you say it, they do look nice and shiny in the top-down photo, fair enough.

Plenty of life in them left I'd say, EG should certainly be able to fix this.
Thanks again for your reply. Nice to have a bit of hope. I have enjoyed them quite a bit. It's going on midnight here and my lighting isn't the best for highlighting their beauty in a photo. They've been boxed and bagged since for awhile since I noticed it so I suppose I could have given them a brushing before posting. 🙃
I've been a shoe hobbyist for about 20 years, have 50 some pairs, and hope to hell that I'm maintaining my collection correctly by now. 😅.

I've had these for nearly 10 years. And I got them on clearance..which probably means they were sitting in the store awhile (another EG I bought at the same time was made in 2011) .. and as a favorite, they were pretty much always in my rotation. I expect things to eventually wear out..I'm just not sure as to when..which is why I figured I'd ask other EG owners.

I'm probably rambling by now so..again..thanks for your reply..nice to know they might be salvaged. I'll bite the bullet and get those sent in to EG in hopes they can be repaired and back on my feet.

Last edited:

JTMD

Reaction score
I have EG's that are 10-15 yrs old and no cracked leather
Yes. I have several other pair of EGs around the same age and this is the 1st I've experienced it myself.

The Newmarkets, Oundles, and Andrews were purchased together. EG informed me that the Andrew was made in 2011 so I'm guessing the Newmarkets and Oundles are somewhere around there as well (though I'm sure EG would know for sure). Looking at e-mails it seems I bought them in December 2013. The 2 Chelseas on either side of the Newmarkets I got a a bit later

20200108_162215.jpg

Last edited:

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always just hesitant to go up a width in loafers as the heel can become too wide

Hmm, this raises the old question of whether going up a width will only widen the forefoot or also the heel? I was under the impression that the heel width stay the same, but maybe I'm wrong?

I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot, the best out of the box fit I have found so far is the Stefano Bemer A-last.

shoefan57

Reaction score
How many folks have had EGs long enough to crack the leather? I'm thinking my Newmarkets are done for. EG told me to send them in and they'd have a look but not sure anything can be done and whether it would be worth the cost of postage. Pity as they have been a favorite the past 10 years or so..not to mention I had had EG re-sole them not long before I noticed the issue. Any thoughts? First pair of shoes I've worn out.. though certainly not the oldest pair of shoes in my closet and rarely (if ever) did they see bad weather.
This is very disturbing, not least for you. A bespoke maker told me ( about 17years ago), that in his experience, shoes crack from the inside out and thus is a product of the sweat from our feet. He said, with a regularly worn pair of shoes the process takes about 15 years. But certainly, your boots seem to be cracking from the outside in. I wonder if the batch of leather they were made from wasn't up to scratch? To be fair to EG this kind of future for the leather is very hard to predict.

mrs25962

Reaction score
Hmm, this raises the old question of whether going up a width will only widen the forefoot or also the heel? I was under the impression that the heel width stay the same, but maybe I'm wrong?

I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot, the best out of the box fit I have found so far is the Stefano Bemer A-last.
In mu experience with the 184, going up in width didn't change the heel much, but definitely more room on sides and front.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In mu experience with the 184, going up in width didn't change the heel much, but definitely more room on sides and front.

Sounds good. Usually I go with 9.5F, but I also have some on 9F (on the 64 last) which for me fine. I'll order a full strap loafer soon on the 184, and atm I'm considering going with 9G to provide the best and most comfortable fit. I also have a pair of GG on 9G which fit me fine, but not sure if G width might be over the top in EG 🤔 I thought it might be especially useful in a full strap since I suppose it's less forgiving with a high instep as I have.

emptym

Reaction score
Ha. OK. Thank you for your reply. I guess I just took the pessimistic view on it and figured the worst. There's no hole but the leather feels pretty weak.

I am pretty stringent with my shoe care and the boots have seen regular maintenance with only Saphir Médaille d'Or products to include cream, wax, renovateur etc. When my feet aren't in them, lasted shoe trees are. After each wearing they are wiped down and allowed to sit a few days at least before the next wearing. Shoes are stored in bags and/or under provided EG cloth.. Products are not overused but applied when needed after a few wearings. I'm not really into mirror shined toe boxes so use cream more often than wax.

As stated, this is the first time its happened to me..even with shoes I've had several years longer.. nor has it happened to other EGs I own that are pretty much the same age.
@DWFII used to say that cracks like that are usually caused by small, abrasive particles of glass and stone that settle into cracks and pores. So the key to prevention is to brush shoes after wearing, before applying any liquids/creams, since those would push the particles deeper into the leather. I've been following this advice for the past 15 yrs or so, and it's helped.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
@DWFII used to say that cracks like that are usually caused by small, abrasive particles of glass and stone that settle into cracks and pores. So the key to prevention is to brush shoes after wearing, before applying any liquids/creams, since those would push the particles deeper into the leather. I've been following this advice for the past 15 yrs or so, and it's helped.

Very interesting point and observation. I think I'm gonna invest in a laboratory microscope with a very large petri dish. And follow a new regime :

1)remove shoes after wear
2)inspect under microscope
3)brush
4)inspect under microscope
5)polish and shine

JTMD

Reaction score
Last edited:

nmiller08

Reaction score
Congrats on the new treasures.

A bit off topic but.. are those 2 different hats or is the brim somehow removable?
haha, did the same double-take

You may be joking, but guessing the missing brim is just a byproduct of the camera’s portrait setting … the phone’s software didn’t see enough of the brim and blurred it as background

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new treasures.

A bit off topic but.. are those 2 different hats or is the brim somehow removable?
No, it's an artifact of the iPhone's portrait mode plus downscaling for StyFo upload.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads