• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if it’s Edward green or c&j?

My guess is it’s c&j. But, if it makes you feel better saying it’s Edward green, we can roll with that too

Satoman1

Reaction score
Does it matter if it’s Edward green or c&j?

My guess is it’s c&j. But, if it makes you feel better saying it’s Edward green, we can roll with that too
I thrifted it, it's not my size so I'm trying to resell it. EG will definitely get a better price than C&J.
Just to confirm, I found 2 identical models from Japanese bloggers, they said it was EG made on 202 last.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have EG ever had that little piece of leather which hides the stitch connecting the two facings? Never seen it before, even on vintage pairs, which makes me think this isn’t EG.
Yes, EG certainly used this way of adding reinforcement to the vamp point. I've just checked my shoes and I found three pairs from the mid-90s sporting that feature. I believe it was a standard of the "old Oxford".

Sometime in the mid-90s, the standard pattern for all Oxford shoes got revised, the facings got shortened, the toe caps (straight and winged) got longer and the point where the vamp line changes direction (furthest away from the eyelets) got more rounded. Also, the nailing of the heel with the nails arranged in groups of three, speaks for EG.

It is possible that that change of pattern coincides with the split-up from John Lobb; when EG (John Hlustik) moved into Cowper Street taking half the staff with him (while the other half stayed with JLP in Oliver Street.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, EG certainly used this way of adding reinforcement to the vamp point. I've just checked my shoes and I found three pairs from the mid-90s sporting that feature. I believe it was a standard of the "old Oxford".

Sometime in the mid-90s, the standard pattern for all Oxford shoes got revised, the facings got shortened, the toe caps (straight and winged) got longer and the point where the vamp line changes direction (furthest away from the eyelets) got more rounded. Also, the nailing of the heel with the nails arranged in groups of three, speaks for EG.

It is possible that that change of pattern coincides with the split-up from John Lobb; when EG (John Hlustik) moved into Cowper Street taking half the staff with him (while the other half stayed with JLP in Oliver Street.
That's illuminating, thank you! It would be very interesting for all of us I'm sure if you're at all able to share any pictures of these old gems in your collection.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It would be very interesting for all of us I'm sure if you're at all able to share any pictures of these old gems in your collection.
Here you are!

EG "Malvern made for Louis Boston (Mid 90s?) on last 33 with "half-moon" detail:

EG old 2.png EG old   1.png

Here are the differences between the "old" and the "new" Oxford pattern. Both shoes are last 202 in D fitting. But there is a difference in size: Black shoe is new pattern in (English) size 8 1/2, while the brown shoe is old pattern in size 9. Main difference is the seam which joins vamp and quarters, very rounded at the corners in the new version, more angular in the old one.

EG old 3.png EG old 4.png EG old 5.png

But I have realised that my previous thesis, 'old pattern uses half-moon', 'new pattern uses bar tack' doesn't work all the time. There are exceptions: a pair of EG for Paul Stuart (judging by the number is older than the Louis Bostons) has old pattern, but no half-moon, another pair, much younger with a 39k production number, has the new pattern but the half moon.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
I see that Maison Degand Brussels suddenly has removed all Edward Green from its website. Anyone know anything about this?
I emailed them because I had my eye on that last pair of Winchelsea in my size, I was just waiting to confirm fit with the RLPL Barksdale from EBay before pulling the trigger. I haven't heard back yet.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that Maison Degand Brussels suddenly has removed all Edward Green from its website. Anyone know anything about this?
Yeah I checked them out yesterday and noticed the same thing. Also no more John Lobb. Guess they decided non-UK shoemakers like Norman Vilalta (except for GG) would be better choices.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Am strongly considering ordering an MTO pair of Dark Oak Winchelseas as a Birthday present to myself.

If one has to go MTO to get the style and width one wants anyways, what are folks' thoughts on split sized pairs? My feet are shaped extremely similarly, but are a half size difference. I find I always have to sacrifice the fit of one shoe for the other. Especially for loafers and other slip-ons, which I find tongue pads and other additions always inevitable.

If there is no price difference or a minimal one, would not make best sense to get a split sized pair to ensure the best fit for both feet? Isn't it the same principle that bespoke makers follow?

mrs25962

Reaction score
Am strongly considering ordering an MTO pair of Dark Oak Winchelseas as a Birthday present to myself.

If one has to go MTO to get the style and width one wants anyways, what are folks' thoughts on split sized pairs? My feet are shaped extremely similarly, but are a half size difference. I find I always have to sacrifice the fit of one shoe for the other. Especially for loafers and other slip-ons, which I find tongue pads and other additions always inevitable.

If there is no price difference or a minimal one, would not make best sense to get a split sized pair to ensure the best fit for both feet? Isn't it the same principle that bespoke makers follow?
Sounds good in theory and I'd probably do it if I tried different sizes / widths and was sure which fits each foot the best. I believe with MTO, that EG can also make adjustments such as adding a fitting piece to give more room in certain areas if needed and also raising arch support which may reduce gaping on the sides that results from flat feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads