• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

On a side note, I find the new offering of a shearling lining a bit intriguing...

The Jermyn Street shop carries a stock version of the Galway in country calf with the upper section in grown shearling. The inside is the fur-side, the outside the (suede) flesh-side, (The word 'lining' is a bit confusing, as it indicates a separate layer).

The lower section of the boot is conventionally lined in leather.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
The Jermyn Street shop carries a stock version of the Galway in country calf with the upper section in grown shearling. The inside is the fur-side, the outside the (suede) flesh-side, (The word 'lining' is a bit confusing, as it indicates a separate layer).
The lower section of the boot is conventionally lined in leather.

I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds epic.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Ah, I see. So the calf/pebble combination is still one that EG will make?

Can I also re-ask my questions (in bold) from earlier, quoting your post, LeJouvre:

" 888 needs to be fully lined because 888 is typically a last for a city shoe.

For the ignorant among us (me), could you elaborate on this? Is lining just a comfort thing?

Looks like neither of those two boots has the full double sole, at best you will find the "HAF" sole, which is not bad.\

What is the advantage of the full double sole over the HAF? And what is an "M64"??? "

Ta.
The 888 was a last designed by one of the masters, Tony Gaziano, who was an integral part of Edward Green's bespoke division during the good old days when EG was a prestigious shoe maker. Bespoke shoes, and their lasts, are designed for elegance, particularly elegance with fine suits.

The Galway, being a rough boot, looks particularly good in a 888 last, at least I think it does, and to use it as an elegant shoe with a "bespoke" look to it makes it accessible to use with a fine suit. Basically, moving to the 888 last turns the Galway from its "rough look" into a "dress boot".

When you wear a fine suit you would typically want to wear fine socks and you would not want the inside of your boot to show an unrefined course leather or suede. The lining is also smooth and prevents rubbing on socks etc. When you wear a suit you want your shoes to be properly lined like a "dress boot".

Double leather sole has only minor advantages over the HAF. The "HAF" sole is a double leather welted sole which narrows to single leather at the waist.

The M64 is the original last of the Galway Boot and it has a distinctly "paratrooper" or "pit boot" shape to it. it is very roomy in the toe box and the heel, which i use in winter when I can use really thick socks to take up the extra room in the boot.

Here is a pic of a M64 in rosewood calf, my favorite "all purpose" boots, next to a second favorite, which happens to be another Galway:-

These are both on Ridegeway soles

And the 82 last

These are both HAF soles.

I hope you can tell I am an enthusiast, BUT if it were not for the Galway I would be going like "errrm Edward Who?"

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
thats interesting indeed and on the 64 last, too. where are you seeing this particular make-up?
some nice Galway make-ups here:
http://www.upper-shoes.com/chaussures-luxe-homme-edward-green/h|8,p|1-catalogue.htm

At that price you would want to go to http://www.edwardsofmanchester.co.uk/edwardgreen-galway-brown.html and speak to Mark Firth or Craig.

I would like to actually have a go at getting an MTO for SF through EoM actually, if anyone is interested, with a 888 Galway on a double leather sole with full lining, to be worn with a nice Luttwyche suit hand tailored by Tony, something like this:-

Any takers?

We will need a minimum of 6 people.

Reaction score
Got my first Greens from George Bass in 2002. $675 for mto Lomonds in mahogany country calf on the 202 last. First of many. Nothing but top marks for George.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my first Greens from George Bass in 2002. $675 for mto Lomonds in mahogany country calf on the 202 last. First of many. Nothing but top marks for George.

After 10 years, I'm sure the same pair is $1K more; however, I'm sure yours are still giving you many miles.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i tried checking out and shipping was something crazy like 140 Euro. Free ship to france though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads