• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to order my first mto Greens but the stories of late have planted some seeds doubt. Might it be better to wait with Green currently having trouble with their mto quality control?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm about to order my first mto Greens but the stories of late have planted some seeds doubt. Might it be better to wait with Green currently having trouble with their mto quality control?

We have heard some negatives lately - that is true. And I have no objection to hearing such negatives. I myself posted awhile back on a QC issue I ran into on a RTW model (which, in the end, turned out good for me as I was able to get the same shoe on a last I liked better for the model in question - :D).

But on this thread, as in life, those that we hear from - that are the loudest, if you will - are the ones dissatisfied with something. Those that are satisfied, on the whole, say nothing. Keep that in mind.

CTBrummie

Reaction score

How long would you wait and how would you decide when the moment was right to order?

sevenfoldtieguy is right - the silent majority are the ones who have nothing to say because they had no problems. Think of all the beautiful shoes and boots posted on these pages and weigh them up against the number of people who have had issues that weren't resolved...

MTO with anyone will always involve the risk of things not quite going to how you envisaged. After all, you can't expect the people at the factory to share your exact same vision no matter how well you explain what you want.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes sevenfoldtieguy, thats what I thought. Thanks for your answer. I've seen tons of used greens in various stages of their lives which is the reason EG first started to appeal to me. I am/was just a little afraid to order my first MTOs in a period in which there might be some QC trouble. I've had these shoes in mind for a while though so I'll just go and see if i can order them. Hope they'll make them for me : )
If they do I'll keep you guys posted.

CTB, I'd wait a couple of years probably and stick to rtw in the meantime. Don't worry, I'll explain well enough as I know exactly what I want: ) Dark Oak isn't a colour that is mucked up easily, even if I want heavy burnishing.

Last edited:

Junior

Reaction score
Mmmhmm.

"At Edward Green we've lined our iconic Galway with shearling for a soft, warm fit. This winter it's available in rosewood country calf and tobacco suede as well as walnut country calf and mink suede. Both are made using the traditional veldtschoen method, whereby the upper is pulled across the top of the welt to ensure extra resilience and weather-proofing."

Gorgeous. One down, one to go...
The Jermyn street shop also stocked it dark oak/mink suede =)

Fiddler

Reaction score
I saw some very good things mentioned about Leffot a few posts ago so I'm surprised at my experience with them today.

I made an order with them recently and they sent me the wrong product through no fault of mine.

I'd ordered a pair of EG Chelsea in Mink Suede that were advertised on the Leffot site as being on the 202 Last.

What came was the above shoe but on the 82 Last.

I have written to them and will see what they have to say.

I paid a pretty hefty mark-up on these shoes $1,125 + $60 shipping. Plus customs duties on arrival.

Here is the product on their site, notice how it's described as being on the 202 Last:

Here is what they sent me:

I haven't even tried on the shoes as I don't like the look of this Last at all.

Oh, and even though the shipping was $52.90, I was charged $60 for postage. Small money but still surprising.

I will be updating these pages as I hear from them. But a pretty disappointing experience and introduction to the world of Edward Green.

I've never had this happen before with any merchant. I paid by Paypal and am wondering if you guys have any advice to offer on what course of action is best.

Cheers

Zarium

Reaction score
Probably get you to ship it back to them at your cost and offer you a full refund minus shipping.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not advocating for or against it; rather, I am listing the price as a point of fact. There was previous discussion of EG and SC prices, so I thought a very recent LS-SC offering, and its listed price, was relevant to the issues at hand. Personally the boot does nothing for me, but that's beside the point.

Most recent EG offering from LS, offered only as an example of pricing:

Edward Green – Mercer in Cloud (LSW)

The Mercer is one of Edward Green’s newest models. Simplicity in design is what makes it special. Cloud antique provides an interesting alternative to black and brown.

(82 last, $1290.00, shoe trees included)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will be updating these pages as I hear from them. But a pretty disappointing experience and introduction to the world of Edward Green.

I've never had this happen before with any merchant. I paid by Paypal and am wondering if you guys have any advice to offer on what course of action is best.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your mix-up. I have purchased from Steven numerous times (albeit in-person) and he has been very ethical and honest with his business practices with me. Regarding the last error, I would try to speak with him directly to see how it can be addressed. Regarding the shipping, the discrepancy can be for a couple of reasons, the initial quoted price is an estimate and there will always be fluctuations with weight. Another possibility is factorying in handling fees (e.g., boxes, packing materials). Again, I am just making assumptions but I am sure this can also be clarified with Steven.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I saw some very good things mentioned about Leffot a few posts ago so I'm surprised at my experience with them today. I made an order with them recently and they sent me the wrong product through no fault of mine. I'd ordered a pair of EG Chelsea in Mink Suede that were advertised on the Leffot site as being on the 202 Last. What came was the above shoe but on the 82 Last. I have written to them and will see what they have to say. I paid a pretty hefty mark-up on these shoes $1,125 + $60 shipping. Plus customs duties on arrival. Here is the product on their site, notice how it's described as being on the 202 Last: Here is what they sent me: I haven't even tried on the shoes as I don't like the look of this Last at all. Oh, and even though the shipping was $52.90, I was charged $60 for postage. Small money but still surprising. I will be updating these pages as I hear from them. But a pretty disappointing experience and introduction to the world of Edward Green. I've never had this happen before with any merchant. I paid by Paypal and am wondering if you guys have any advice to offer on what course of action is best. Cheers
I understand you are disappointed, but you might as well try them on -- the 82 last looks nice from here.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw some very good things mentioned about Leffot a few posts ago so I'm surprised at my experience with them today. I made an order with them recently and they sent me the wrong product through no fault of mine. I'd ordered a pair of EG Chelsea in Mink Suede that were advertised on the Leffot site as being on the 202 Last. What came was the above shoe but on the 82 Last. I have written to them and will see what they have to say. I paid a pretty hefty mark-up on these shoes $1,125 + $60 shipping. Plus customs duties on arrival. Here is the product on their site, notice how it's described as being on the 202 Last: Here is what they sent me: I haven't even tried on the shoes as I don't like the look of this Last at all. Oh, and even though the shipping was $52.90, I was charged $60 for postage. Small money but still surprising. I will be updating these pages as I hear from them. But a pretty disappointing experience and introduction to the world of Edward Green. I've never had this happen before with any merchant. I paid by Paypal and am wondering if you guys have any advice to offer on what course of action is best. Cheers
FWIW, the 82 and 202 have some definite similarities. See pics on link below. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...-are-the-main-differences-in-888-202-EG-Lasts I have both. I like both.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I saw some very good things mentioned about Leffot a few posts ago so I'm surprised at my experience with them today.

I made an order with them recently and they sent me the wrong product through no fault of mine.

I'd ordered a pair of EG Chelsea in Mink Suede that were advertised on the Leffot site as being on the 202 Last.

What came was the above shoe but on the 82 Last.

I could swear that there was a recent discussion about this - it could have been on this very thread - when Leffot had its sale I and some other members bought those same Chelsea's on sale, also advertised as 202 last. when we got our shoes, I indeed got a pair of 202's but someone else got 82's. you may want to search discussions on the most recent Leffot sales and read about the outcome

Fiddler

Reaction score
FWIW, the 82 and 202 have some definite similarities. See pics on link below.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...-are-the-main-differences-in-888-202-EG-Lasts
I have both. I like both.

I made it a point to inform myself on all the EG lasts long before I purchased and was very clear in wanting the Chelsea on the 202 Last. This is what Leffot advertises on their website. If the descriptor on there had said Last 82 I wouldn't have purchased them in the first place. Who would want to pay such a hefty premium for a Last they didn't fancy? I've opened up a dispute with Paypal on this so we shall have to see how this plays out. My claim is simple....if Leffot promises one thing on their e-commerce shopfront and ships me something else, then they are in the wrong and they should make full restitution. I had to pay duties of about US$86 to the customs before they turned over the package so they should rightfully be reimbursing that amount too.

Zarium

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads