• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal recommendation for suit

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice C but seems much stiffer than your other Carusos...or is that your robot pose?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Looks nice C but seems much stiffer than your other Carusos...or is that your robot pose?

Thanks, N. It's stiffer than the brown herringbone (which has some cashmere in it) and perhaps a bit stiffer than the flannel glenplaid as well. But this is straight out of the box and my first robot pose... It definitely needs to be worked in, which I will work on.

Gent

Reaction score
While the jacket looks rather good, there's an odd visual effect near the bottom or around where the quarters open slightly, whereby it looks like it's standing ten inches off your body. I doubt that's reality, but there's this effect...

Or maybe I'm seeing things.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
While the jacket looks rather good, there's an odd visual effect near the bottom or around where the quarters open slightly, whereby it looks like it's standing ten inches off your body. I doubt that's reality, but there's this effect...

Or maybe I'm seeing things.

I see what you mean. I don't know the exact cause of that effect. Here's another, less robotic picture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
More pics of the suit.

Very cool - is the lining black? You went with a configuration very much opposite to mine. I went 3r2, patch, no ticket, flat fronts.

That keeper behind the lapel is the boutonniere.

The hidden pocket in the pants is a change pocket (at least that's what my tailor calls it)

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
More pics of the suit.

Great fabric and the suit is nice. I would go with patch pockets as it is casul. 3t2.5 roll,3 patch pockets with bigger lapels and single pleat trousers.
I have to applaud you for having so much patience to take pictures,as much as I like clothing,I would never have such patience with pictures.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Came across some pics of Donegals and wanted to share them

2010.9.28-3.jpg

2010.9.28-4.jpg

2010.9.28-5.jpg

These are AWESOME! I especially love in the middle photo the dark brown one #2033.

I don't believe Chan carries Magee so does anyone know of something comparable from other makers? The Thornproof brown seems too mustardy.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOBD - look forward to seeing how that suit breaks in. Wonderful color.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Very cool - is the lining black? You went with a configuration very much opposite to mine. I went 3r2, patch, no ticket, flat fronts.

Thanks. No, dark chocolate brown (?). I used your configuration for my flannel glenplaid, and I like it. For this one I wanted more horizontal lines (ticket pocket) to break the fabric, if that makes sense.

That keeper behind the lapel is the boutonniere.

Ah, same name as the thing you put in?

The hidden pocket in the pants is a change pocket (at least that's what my tailor calls it)

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Originally Posted by forex
Great fabric and the suit is nice. I would go with patch pockets as it is casul. 3t2.5 roll,3 patch pockets with bigger lapels and single pleat trousers.
I have to applaud you for having so much patience to take pictures,as much as I like clothing,I would never have such patience with pictures.

Thank you. I like taking pictures; it's nice to have the suits 'archived'.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
NOBD - look forward to seeing how that suit breaks in. Wonderful color.

Thanks, David. The colour is great, better than I expected.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
These are AWESOME! I especially love in the middle photo the dark brown one #2033.

I don't believe Chan carries Magee so does anyone know of something comparable from other makers? The Thornproof brown seems too mustardy.

w.bill
i thought you went to see them
there are two books of donegal
and several variants of that brown
some even nicer

and that is not even including the handwovens

the lighterweight thornproof does not have the same kind of feel as it is more of a suiting

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
w.bill
i thought you went to see them
there are two books of donegal
and several variants of that brown
some even nicer

and that is not even including the handwovens

Two books of Donegal, eh? Didn't realize there were two. I was actually just looking at one today at J. Press and I was surprised there weren't more browns in there as I thought I remembered seeing more. Lots of greens, and blues and reds, etc but not many dark browns. Hopefully Chan will have both books (or at least this second one) when they are in New York next week.

Thanks for the tip!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This came in the mail today:
5183399334_e0f3469f18_b.jpg
5183404562_9296bd22a4_b.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the white flecking so prominent without flash? Carlo Brandelli would be proud

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the white flecking so prominent without flash? Carlo Brandelli would be proud

Probably not as bright but definitely visible. More grey than white perhaps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics