• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here Box?

Tardek

Reaction score
I would definitely take up boxing, but I'm too pretty and can't afford to have my looks ruined.

I can't afford the brain damage either. If I were a sports star or if my job were otherwise physical rather than cerebral, I'd be all over it
confused.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
I would definitely take up boxing, but I'm too pretty and can't afford to have my looks ruined.

I can't afford the brain damage either. If I were a sports star or if my job were otherwise physical rather than cerebral, I'd be all over it
confused.gif

You really don't have to do anything you don't want to do. If you find a good gym, they'll work with you. There are lots of people who don't want to fight or spar or only fight below the head. Even if you don't spar or don't do any fighting, it's still the best workout ever...

Cavalier

Reaction score
Keep me updated on gyms you find around Columbus, I'll be looking for one in a few months when I get my drivers license back

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Been going to Downtown Boxing in DC for a couple of months now. I like it. I'd recommend it to guys looking for a gym in the DC area. $100/month seems like a lot for group classes with 1 trainer in what is a pretty ratty facility compared to the flash of LA boxing, but the groups are always small (I've been the only guy there a couple of times, and the most crowded session I went to probably had 8 people, total) and the trainer wastes no time. I haven't sparred yet but some members do, if they match up well at a given session.

It's a no-frills hour plus workout and you can go as many times you want in a month. No contract, no up front fee.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
OK so I want to learn how to box. I'm using this website as a source to find a good gym...http://www.boxinghelp.com/ohio.html

I found this place...http://www.columbusohioboxing.com/

I went to meet with the trainer yesterday. He has a lot of experience, and was a fighter himself. He worked in Buster Douglas's corner for a while. Anyway, he charges $25 per session. This seems a tad steep considering that it's not a 1 on 1 session. The session gives me gym access for 2 hours, and he said about an hour of that would be him working with me. If he could guarantee me an hour of 1 on 1 time, that's a hell of a deal-but I would certainly not be the only person there. Also, because of their hours, I would only be able to have 1.5 hours of gym time because of work. There is no general membership fee, so basically I'd be paying $25 any time I want to workout there. I'm interested to see if anyone here has experience with real boxing gyms.

listen
if you've never boxed before
you dont need to be going to a dude that has worked on buster's corner
get into a regular gym that has a spread of varying talent..work your way up and learn from people there
develop proper technique and learn what works best for you...be familiar with your threshold
it's not an easy sport

in my area boxing is a dying sport ..but the good end of the deal is that the old school boxing heads here dont charge much ..i pay 20$ a month for COMPETITION TRAINING

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread first time round? The mods here must be mentally marsupialed.... Ill address a few things here for posterity's sake.
Originally Posted by suited
It seems as though a lot of these gyms are run in a very unorganized manner, and that finding a good one is going to be a lot harder than I originally anticipated.
Be very wary of a well-run gym. if the guy cares more about management and profitability than your left hook, you are on a slippery slope to the land of McDojo.
If you can't find a gym with solid trainers, you're basically paying money to do workouts that you could do at home for much cheaper. A lot of these workouts involve push-ups, sit-ups, running, heavy bag etc. I have a speed bag, and you can buy a heavy bag and a stand for the price of a few months membership.
False. This is a great way to develop really bad habits and break some bones in your hands.
I think since UFC become popular, these gyms have sprung up out of the woodwork and half these guys aren't qualified to teach people much of anything.
False. This has led to a proliferation of very questionable BJJ gyms. Most of the boxing guys worth their salt long predate MMA though.
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
For someone with NO experience boxing, is going straight to a boxing gym for classes considered poor form? Literally, I have no idea what I'm doing and I want to avoid appearing in the "most annoying people at the (boxing) gym" thread.
False as your later post reveals. I have never ever been to a gym that is not completely beginner friendly. It is the lifeblood of the place. The ONLY time beginners have issues is when they show up cocky and act like they know the lot...then...they get hit a couple times and discover very quickly how to listen and learn. A straight up 'i know nothing' humble beginner will always be welcomed in any gym worth its salt, and if you feel otherwise in your first class, go elsewhere very quickly.
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Bump. Been going to Downtown Boxing in DC for a couple of months now. I like it. I'd recommend it to guys looking for a gym in the DC area. $100/month seems like a lot for group classes with 1 trainer in what is a pretty ratty facility compared to the flash of LA boxing, but the groups are always small (I've been the only guy there a couple of times, and the most crowded session I went to probably had 8 people, total) and the trainer wastes no time. I haven't sparred yet but some members do, if they match up well at a given session. It's a no-frills hour plus workout and you can go as many times you want in a month. No contract, no up front fee.
Really glad to hear you are enjoying it, and ya, it is an AWESOME workout. I like it because it keeps you thinking...I get bored as hell on a treadmill after 15 mins, but sparring 5 rounds wears me out more and keeps me more interested, cos the moment I get lethargic, someone pops me in the jaw and wakes me up quicksmart.
Originally Posted by sweetscienceguy
listen if you've never boxed before you dont need to be going to a dude that has worked on buster's corner get into a regular gym that has a spread of varying talent..work your way up and learn from people there develop proper technique and learn what works best for you...be familiar with your threshold it's not an easy sport in my area boxing is a dying sport ..but the good end of the deal is that the old school boxing heads here dont charge much ..i pay 20$ a month for COMPETITION TRAINING
completely agree....although I do think it is an easy sport to learn the basics of...the mechanics are quite simple and generally intuitive (as opposed to a lot of other martial arts that involve a lot more twisted, convoluted positions for blocks and so forth)

Explosivo

Reaction score
Good info here everyone. I've been considering letting my Bally's membership lapse and checking out a either the local L.A. Boxing or the nearby old-school boxing gym to change things up, and learn how to throw a decent punch.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a padded knuckle protector you can incorporate beneath your hand wraps and some better gloves if you use those ****** cheap Everlast joints you find at most sporting good stores (I like gel ones for heavy bags). Ice your hands also. Most importantly, don't ***** out by taking a month off.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
my knuckles used to bleed after extensive rounds on the speed bag ... they no longer bleed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads