• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here Box?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so I want to learn how to box. I'm using this website as a source to find a good gym...http://www.boxinghelp.com/ohio.html I found this place...http://www.columbusohioboxing.com/ I went to meet with the trainer yesterday. He has a lot of experience, and was a fighter himself. He worked in Buster Douglas's corner for a while. Anyway, he charges $25 per session. This seems a tad steep considering that it's not a 1 on 1 session. The session gives me gym access for 2 hours, and he said about an hour of that would be him working with me. If he could guarantee me an hour of 1 on 1 time, that's a hell of a deal-but I would certainly not be the only person there. Also, because of their hours, I would only be able to have 1.5 hours of gym time because of work. There is no general membership fee, so basically I'd be paying $25 any time I want to workout there. I'm interested to see if anyone here has experience with real boxing gyms.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
A real boxing gym should be more like $25 a month. He's taken you for a fool and is trying to take you for a ride. You don't need to learn from a famous name to learn boxing.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is reeeaalll expensive for a boxing gym. Also, if you are just starting, you don't need a guy like that. Practically anyone running a boxing gym will know someone who can teach you the fundamentals, or will teach you themselves. Boxing is very "old school" - innovation comes more in training, not in technique. In fact, having been in a lot of boxing gyms I kind of feel like the main point of departure for boxing coaches has to do with defense, not offense. Throwing a punch is throwing a punch - they all teach it the same way.

Also keep in mind most gyms concentrate on golden-gloves style sparring, not Mike Tyson punch-out. I'm not sure how Buster Douglas' guy is going to help you there.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
A real boxing gym should be more like $25 a month. He's taken you for a fool and is trying to take you for a ride. You don't need to learn from a famous name to learn boxing.
Well the price is listed on the flyers at the gym, so it was not something he made up just for me-but you are right about it being expensive. What I'm looking for is a gym with a monthly fee, but has trainers there as well that could provide me with the occasional 1 on 1 time for an extra fee.

theguy

Reaction score
My friends and I are thinking about doing a 1 on 1 program(1on4) $25 per session
Is that fair pricing since its private?

Also we were debating between boxing and kickboxing, which would be better to learn?

sorry to hijack your thread

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

+1, mine is 35 bucks a month, with about 20 available classes in boxing a week, kettle bells, punching bags and a pretty good, if basic, weight room. plus some other classes available - muey thai and yoga.

25 bucks s just a little less than what I pay for a one on one session, on top of the regular classes.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theguy
My friends and I are thinking about doing a 1 on 1 program(1on4) $25 per session
Is that fair pricing since its private?

Also we were debating between boxing and kickboxing, which would be better to learn?

sorry to hijack your thread

Whichever is more fun for you. I think kickboxing is more fun, but it's just my opinion. You don't need private lessons though, really. You haven't even started, maybe start with 1 private to learn the basics, then take the group classes. Private lessons are for getting past technical sticking points.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He wasn't trying to pull one over on me, his price is listed right on his website, as well as posted on the gym flyers. He's just ridiculously expensive compared to other gyms. http://columbusohioboxing.com/contact_us.html Here's another local place. http://www.ssboxing.com/classes.php They want $89 a month which is still on the expensive side. Another thing that worries me about that place is that none of their trainers qualifications are listed, which seems odd for a boxing gym website. It seems as though a lot of these gyms are run in a very unorganized manner, and that finding a good one is going to be a lot harder than I originally anticipated. I asked the lady on the phone if the classes were structured, and she said that they were, yet you can come anytime between 4-7- which leads me to believe she is either lying or had no idea what she was talking about. She said there can be about 20 people there from 5-6, and the gym looks incredibly small to handle that many people at once. If you can't find a gym with solid trainers, you're basically paying money to do workouts that you could do at home for much cheaper. A lot of these workouts involve push-ups, sit-ups, running, heavy bag etc. I have a speed bag, and you can buy a heavy bag and a stand for the price of a few months membership. I think since UFC become popular, these gyms have sprung up out of the woodwork and half these guys aren't qualified to teach people much of anything.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone with NO experience boxing, is going straight to a boxing gym for classes considered poor form? Literally, I have no idea what I'm doing and I want to avoid appearing in the "most annoying people at the (boxing) gym" thread.

Mauby

Reaction score
That's way too expensive for what's being offered. For a private 1-on-1 lesson that would be ok, depending on where you are and who's training you. Like Eason said, $25 a month would be more appropriate. Most city park districts have a boxing gym, look into that. In Chicago, the park district charges $27 for 3 months.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
For someone with NO experience boxing, is going straight to a boxing gym for classes considered poor form? Literally, I have no idea what I'm doing and I want to avoid appearing in the "most annoying people at the (boxing) gym" thread.
It depends. The Downtown Boxing Club lets beginners start classes right away, and the trainer told me he prefers to start with complete beginners. Knox Boxing and Fitness wants you to take the eight-class boot camp before beginning classes. Either way, it isn't cheap. Downtown Boxing is $100/month, no contract. The Knox Boxing is $175 for the boot camp, then $15/class. You may also want to look into L.A. Boxing, which has several locations in the DC area.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've paid anywhere from $75 - $100 per month with no contract but that's with unlimited classes with a trainer and different disciplines (boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ)

I can go as often as I can every week which could mean up to 8 / 1 hr long classes per week. (Typically 2 classes per day).

I've gone to ghetto boxing gyms for $35/month and the workout includes fending for yourself in the ring. That's a great way to learn but it's certainly not for everyone...
mwink[1].gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
It depends. The Downtown Boxing Club lets beginners start classes right away, and the trainer told me he prefers to start with complete beginners. Knox Boxing and Fitness wants you to take the eight-class boot camp before beginning classes. Either way, it isn't cheap. Downtown Boxing is $100/month, no contract. The Knox Boxing is $175 for the boot camp, then $15/class. You may also want to look into L.A. Boxing, which has several locations in the DC area.

Thanks again, AC. I think I'll check out Downtown, as it's more accessible to me than Knox.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

shouldn't be a problem - in my gym, there are 4 or 5 different teachers, each teach differently, so there are always a few students who are off routine. a good teacher/school should work to get you up to speed. in my opinion. or, they'll beat the **** out of you. one or the other.
(let me know how it goes)

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I've gone to ghetto boxing gyms for $35/month and the workout includes fending for yourself in the ring. That's a great way to learn but it's certainly not for everyone...
mwink[1].gif

This. Go to the hood and find a boxing coach you like. They will train you for very little, or even for free if you agree to fight for them. Amateur boxing is a blue collar sport. The gym should have a working class feel to it. Don't pay out of your AZZ until you go pro.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads