• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have any info on the Filson/Apolis Activism bag?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd like to chime in with my personal experience. I've met the Apolis guys several times, and had a chance to visit them a few months back in LA. They're very polite guys, and I feel that they believe in what they're doing.

Regarding the bag reproduction, I agree with everyone's sentiment. It was definitely a mistake. Things like branding & exclusivity are a big part of the actual value of an item. If something is limited edition, then that has to be respected. I completely understand why some original customers would feel cheated. Getting a stamped unit of a limited run was a major selling point. If I bought one, I would be pissed too.

That said, I think that their intentions are good. They're not getting rich off this (at least from what I've seen). Their collection is made in the US. For what it's worth, this particular project brought real business and revenue to Uganda. I'm sure it's on a tiny scale, but it means something. Making their collection here and trying to support sustainable production in developing countries is more than I can say for most brands. Like any young company, they'll **** some things up and fall short of some goals. You only get to be a good retailer by making a ton of mistakes first.

New designers looking to wholesale to boutiques struggle in even the best of times. These days it's a lot harder. Maybe they needed the money to produce the next season's samples. Maybe they were slammed with customer requests to make more. Maybe they wanted to throw more business to their partners in Uganda and help keep the lights on. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
When we did our collaboration, samples were made and adjusted and then a new sample cut, at lightning fast speed. This went on until I okayed the final sample, so any fit issues with the coated shirt jacket would be my fault.

I think the collab fits wonderfully. It probably could have been an inch less in the waist and hem, but I'm not crying over it, and the end result is still certainly far from horrible as some would claim on here.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with Apolis is their philanthropy claim. I don't think they're lying, but they need to do a far better job proving that the money people are paying is helping Ugandans. Same with their tshirt line - back it up.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I think my biggest issue with Apolis is their philanthropy claim. I don't think they're lying, but they need to do a far better job proving that the money people are paying is helping Ugandans. Same with their tshirt line - back it up.
What exactly do you want them to do? They have it listed pretty clearly what organizations they are using, and how these organizations help source in the fabric, where the fabric originates from, etc. The limited edition thing is definitely fucked, but I wouldn't go as far as to doubt the legitimacy of their efforts to support a more fair-trade centered approach to the sourcing of their materials. Really don't know what else they could do to back up the results of their operation.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I think people need to realize that Apolis is a company trying to make profit and not in any way like a charity that gives back to its donors. They partner with non-profits so it isn't like they're organizing everything from the farmer through to the store

rexet

Reaction score
Hi all and Happy new year!

I was looking for a nice everyday messenger bag and I found this one searching the net. That's the reason I finaly ended on this interesting topic.
It is a shame that Apolis and Filson decided to go for a second round of this "limited" bag.

Anyway, I was wondering about the situation today.
I mean, this bag is still available on the Apolis online store. There is no mention of the limited edition but there is still a picture of the metal thingy where the number is written.

Do you think there are still producing this bag but they removed the limited policy?
Do they go for unlimited new round of limited edition?

Despite the fact that I really understand the reaction of the first buyer, I still love this bag design.

Would it be also possible to have new pictures of this bag getting old since few of you have it for some years now?

Thank you.

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads