• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like or dislike striped ties?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I post because I used to love striped, repp ties. It was pretty much the only type of tie that I bought throughout high school and college, especially if it included navy, pink, or yellow. However, I have not bought a striped tie in the last two years, and I think the look has grown old and stale to me. I still like navy ties, sometimes pink accents, but I can't stand majority yellow or pink ties anymore. I can't exactly figure out why though. I noticed some hate on Moo's tie in WAYWN and it got me thinking a little bit. Is the hate of striped ties on SF pervasive or only isolated? To be clear, I am only talking about the classic repp ties, not the horizontal knit ones that I see here often and like myself.
A241_BLUE-NAVY.jpg
TIEDES59426N-13.jpg
TIE2904N-1YEL.jpg
A453_NAVY-PINK.jpg
What say you?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
I noticed some hate on Moo's tie in WAYWN and it got me thinking a little bit. Is the hate of striped ties on SF pervasive or only isolated?

It's not because of stripes it's because it's colors are way too loud. Stripes are fine.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have disliked striped ties since well before I became indoctrinated by SF. Many of them look great in theory, but I never like the look of them once I get them on. If I could have all the money back I've spent on striped ties I thought I liked but have never worn, I could probably come close to a bespoke commission.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only like them on summer linen ties...
I do prefer polka dots and solid ties...

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
It's not because of stripes it's because it's colors are way too loud. Stripes are fine.

Yes I agree, I didn't like the colors either. But funny thing is that I would have loved that tie two years ago.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Like some, don't like others. Same as with any pattern.

I dislike most ties, in general.

Some of my favorite looks on here include some of the fits you've posted with your pin dot ties.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like them, and wear them a lot, but I like the average nice stripe less than the average nice neat, though a great stripe is probably better to me than a great neat. I don't really like dots.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple, but I favour solids

phillyesq

Reaction score
I really like striped rep ties. I find them classic and conservative. They are regular part of my rotation, and I cannot forsee that changing at any point in the future.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't own any and don't plan on ever owning any.

I like a guy that sticks to his guns.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I like them, and wear them a lot, but I like the average nice stripe less than the average nice neat, though a great stripe is probably better to me than a great neat. I don't really like dots.

Wait. What's a neat? Square pattern? What makes a great stripe in your opinion?

Originally Posted by eg1
I have a couple, but I favour solids

+1 - I find solids to be very elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads