• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disgusting treatment at Louis Vuitton

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 28 Dec. 2004, 12:47) Ugliness was not the issue. It was sales people with body odour and umkempt appearances. I cannot apologize for my frirend's actions as they were not mine. I don't think there's been any bragging. When you're spending money at a place like Louis Vuitton, it goes without saying that it is a lot of money, and therefore the service rendered to the customer should reflect that.
Fair enough; I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, as I've had similar experiences (though mine haven't been as bad) and definitely agree that you should be pissed off. Â As for the money thing, it's fair to say that pretty much everyone here realizes that clothing is an expensive hobby generally reserved for people with money to throw around. Â On the other hand, casually dropping the fact that you happened to toss "about a month's salary for [the employee]... in the space of about 5 seconds" is in poor taste. Â Same for your friend's action. Â It's not the fact that you're spending a lot of money that's irritating, it's that there is the implication that it gives you some sort of moral/social superiority over others. Â The security guard clearly was a dick and foolish to treat paying customers that way, but there's an air of condescension that I'm gleaning from your post, which makes it harder to sympathize with your otherwise justified complaint. Judging by some of the other posts in this thread, I'm not the only person to get this impression. Â I'm sorry you got treated so poorly, and you have every reason to be upset, but I think that there are better ways to deal with that kind of treatment. Â That's all.
Of course my statements were made in a manner of condescension. Snobery from retailers is legendary, which does not make sense. The entire premise of retail, in the high end sector especially is money. When someone looks at you like you crawled out of a trash can it is very demeaning. Since the entire basis of this problem is about money, then I think it is only fair to underscore the fact that someone who is being paid minimum wage is passing a socio economic judgement upon me, when in fact that situation is very ironic. I'm very aware that this type of thinking is very rash, but I'm 19 years old and I'll allow myself a few hot headed testosterone fuled diatribes every now and then. I am not perfect at all, and most of the time I am a very accomodating individual, but really if you could all have seen how bad this was you'd probably at least sympathize a bit. All I can say is that I do not recommend that any of you go there.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(aybojs @ 28 Dec. 2004, 10:16)
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 12:47
Ugliness was not the issue. It was sales people with body odour and umkempt appearances. I cannot apologize for my frirend's actions as they were not mine. I don't think there's been any bragging. When you're spending money at a place like Louis Vuitton, it goes without saying that it is a lot of money, and therefore the service rendered to the customer should reflect that.
Fair enough; I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, as I've had similar experiences (though mine haven't been as bad) and definitely agree that you should be pissed off. Â As for the money thing, it's fair to say that pretty much everyone here realizes that clothing is an expensive hobby generally reserved for people with money to throw around. Â On the other hand, casually dropping the fact that you happened to toss "about a month's salary for [the employee]... in the space of about 5 seconds" is in poor taste. Â Same for your friend's action. Â It's not the fact that you're spending a lot of money that's irritating, it's that there is the implication that it gives you some sort of moral/social superiority over others. Â The security guard clearly was a dick and foolish to treat paying customers that way, but there's an air of condescension that I'm gleaning from your post, which makes it harder to sympathize with your otherwise justified complaint. Judging by some of the other posts in this thread, I'm not the only person to get this impression. Â I'm sorry you got treated so poorly, and you have every reason to be upset, but I think that there are better ways to deal with that kind of treatment. Â That's all.
Of course my statements were made in a manner of condescension. Snobery from retailers is legendary, which does not make sense. The entire premise of retail, in the high end sector especially is money. When someone looks at you like you crawled out of a trash can it is very demeaning. Since the entire basis of this problem is about money, then I think it is only fair to underscore the fact that someone who is being paid minimum wage is passing a socio economic judgement upon me, when in fact that situation is very ironic. I'm very aware that this type of thinking is very rash, but I'm 19 years old and I'll allow myself a few hot headed testosterone fuled diatribes every now and then. I am not perfect at all, and most of the time I am a very accomodating individual, but really if you could all have seen how bad this was you'd probably at least sympathize a bit. All I can say is that I do not recommend that any of you go there.
what I don't understand is 1. why you spent your money there? 2. why you didn't complain to corporate managment what I would have done would be combine the 2 - have them ring up my bill, show them that I can pay, and then cancel the order and inform the store manager that I am doing it because of how I am being treated.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(orbitingio @ 28 Dec. 2004, 09:58) What a terrible thing to happen to someone with such a humble and kind disposition.
Don't attempt to judge me. You have no idea what kind of person I am, or how I was even when entering the store.
My apologies good sir, I'm sure that cash was hard-earned and well-deserved.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ 28 Dec. 2004, 10:35)
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 10:21
Originally Posted by aybojs,28 Dec. 2004, 10:16
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 12:47
Ugliness was not the issue. It was sales people with body odour and umkempt appearances. I cannot apologize for my frirend's actions as they were not mine. I don't think there's been any bragging. When you're spending money at a place like Louis Vuitton, it goes without saying that it is a lot of money, and therefore the service rendered to the customer should reflect that.

what I don't understand is 1. why you spent your money there? 2. why you didn't complain to corporate managment what I would have done would be combine the 2 - have them ring up my bill, show them that I can pay, and then cancel the order and inform the store manager that I am doing it because of how I am being treated.
I am going to be writing the corporate management. Unfortunately my friend's actions certainly taints my own case. I think what people here are missing is that not once did I act in an unreasonable way. It is only in my reflections of the events here that I present a somewhat regrettable and bratty reflection on the issue. I honestly do not see any kind of complaint doing any good, but I can always try. The reason I spent that money there was because there is no Louis Vuitton store in Montreal other than that one, and I won't be leaving the city for at least a month or so.
PHV, please do not consider it a judgment, but couldn't you have waited to buy something from LV for a month, if you were that upset?

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 28 Dec. 2004, 10:15)
Originally Posted by orbitingio,28 Dec. 2004, 09:58
What a terrible thing to happen to someone with such a humble and kind disposition.
Don't attempt to judge me. You have no idea what kind of person I am, or how I was even when entering the store.
Again, I could do without your implicit judgements. How I get my cash and whether or not it is well deserved is not something for you to mull over. I can assure you that my lifestyle is legitimate, and everything I enjoy is the product of hard work.

ViroBono

Reaction score
It was reported in the media here recently that some LV shops were attempting to 'ration' purchases from those they considered to be tourists. This was apparently because tourists from some countries could buy the goods more cheaply than at home, and possibly sell them at a profit. Though the quality of LV's products is beyond reproach, I don't like their designs. Even if I were a fan, the brand has become so much associated with 'chavs'* here that it has become somewhat undesirable in some circles. It is also widely copied. *See Chavs

aybojs

Reaction score
Before this turns into a flamewar, I'll bow out after this post. I just want to stress again that I really can imagine how bad your LV experience was, and that FWIW, it's convinced me to be a lot more wary about shopping in boutiques.

I think we've all had to deal with snobby, condescending salesmen and would like to see the problem stopped. I definitely see why you would be pissed and respect your right to vent. That said, I think some of the concern in this thread is that the way you seem to be handling the situation may not do much to discourage that type of behavior from salesmen in the future.

As globetrotter said, it's hard to understand why you immediately would give business to a store that offended you so, even if it were the only supplier in the area. It's a little less effective for corporate to see that even though their employees treated you like crap, you still bought their goods. From your posts in thread, you seem to place a high value on your pride (not a pejorative remark), so it's a little hard to understand why you would let a single clothing purchase outweigh your pride.

Likewise, when you spread your message, you want to appear as sympathetic as possible, even if it is at the cost of the satisfaction of venting. Your friend acted like a dick, and as you seem to realize, even though it was not your fault, it will hurt your case. I'm willing to bet that getting such a reaction also gave the rude salesman a way to justify his own actions to himself. If anything, having cash thrown at him by a ~20 year old only reinforces his stereotype of "spoiled rich kids with no manners" and makes him feel like he hasn't done anything wrong by treating you so poorly. It's not as satisfying, but it's a lot more effective to swallow your anger and let the jackass employee play the bad guy when you pass your message higher up the ladder.

The same applies for some of your comments, even though they may not be accurate reflections of you. I've seen enough of your past posts here to realize that you're a decent guy, but at the same time it helps to be aware that the above remarks and/or actions are going to be the only available information for the LV corporate people and a lot of people reading this thread.
In other words, I'm just saying that it's more effective to be pragmatic in responding to something like this if it's such a big deal to you to discourage this type of behavior from rude salesmen in the future.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(orbitingio @ 28 Dec. 2004, 10:57)
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 10:15
What a terrible thing to happen to someone with such a humble and kind disposition.

Again, I could do without your implicit judgements. How I get my cash and whether or not it is well deserved is not something for you to mull over. I can assure you that my lifestyle is legitimate, and everything I enjoy is the product of hard work.
If you'd like to avoid judgment, you'd do well to avoid public fora. Though it seems you're no stranger to passing judgment... There's little difference between common trash and uncommon trash, after all.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 28 Dec. 2004, 11:16)
Originally Posted by orbitingio,28 Dec. 2004, 10:57
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 10:15

If you'd like to avoid judgment, you'd do well to avoid public fora. Â Though it seems you're no stranger to passing judgment... There's little difference between common trash and uncommon trash, after all.
And I suppose you're the garbageman who makes such a distiction? I think you're comments are tiresome, and I feel that I have amply apologized for my tirades, so either let it go or keep on making cheesy attempts at sarcasm. I will not reply to the latter.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets keep this civil fellahs and until Steve can get to the nearest Kinko's , allow me to ask you to chill out "Orbitingio".

The remarks were really uncalled for.

Happy Holidays and a Pleasant 2005 to all.

JJF

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to get defensive. I'm an arrogant little **** myself, I just tend not to be so overbearing with it.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets keep this civil fellahs and until Steve can get to the nearest Kinko's , allow me to ask you to chill out "Orbitingio".  
Fine, fine.

Consider me frozen.

Happy holidays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads