• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Destroyed canvas sneaker pr0n

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
How do you get your sneakers to look like this? Whenever I buy new converse's, hoping to get them like this, they sole falls apart before the canvas can.
I cheat.

Both pairs are the same exact pair bought at the same exact time:
66875871.jpg

83666467.jpg

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
The ones on the right are awesome.
Thanks, I hate the bright color of new Converse. Well for the most part since there are some colors I do like. But even then the bright white of the rubber is too much for me.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
now these are gorgeous.

are they PF flyers?

Thanks
smile.gif
Yeah, grundletaint is right, they're Converse Jack Purcells. They're just the normal ones that come in a bunch of colours with a few nicks in them for like $60 (CDN). When I first got them they looked like this:
2vrzvx1.jpg
a9vix4.jpg

A summer of labour and painting later, voila.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they haven't fallen apart. They've held together really well. I've never made any repairs or anything, no glue. I think they're cool. It's funny, because I've actually had people ask me where I got my shoes, like they came that way... Pre-distressing is so pervasive!

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
Thanks
smile.gif
Yeah, grundletaint is right, they're Converse Jack Purcells. They're just the normal ones that come in a bunch of colours with a few nicks in them for like $60 (CDN). When I first got them they looked like this:
2vrzvx1.jpg
a9vix4.jpg

To be honest, I'm surprised that they haven't fallen apart. They've held together really well. I've never made any repairs or anything, no glue. I think they're cool. It's funny, because I've actually had people ask me where I got my shoes, like they came that way... Pre-distressing is so pervasive!

But they are awesome.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I am not sure how much interest there is in this but I don't want this thread to die yet.

Back in the day they had Converse store near where I lived. So I would go in there and you could get Chuck Taylor's for less than $10 all the time. I loved wearing them back then so I picked up few pairs. I even got the flag pair for $4.99.

BUT I hate the look of new Converse, especially the flag ones. So to fix that I throw the shoes in a bucket and put in some Rit Dye (I use the dry stuff because it was cheapest) and then cover with hot tap water.

Rit dye:

rit_dye.jpg

The water will turn black and the shoes will instantly turn black and you will be thinking "Why the hell did I do this?". Make sure the entire shoe is covered. Sometimes one of the toes will try to poke out but shove it back down. A stick is perfect for this. Move the shoes around in there a few times to get more even coverage. Also you do not have to remove the shoe laces. Oddly they will stay almost bright white. I think they are indestructible.
facepalm.gif

Let the shoes sit in the bucket for a while. I let it go at least 30 minutes though I believe I have done an hour. I then dump the water out and rinse the shoes off with clear water. The color will still not be as light as it will be when they dry. Then I stick them out on the patio in the sun until they dry. I do not do this in a washer and would not do it at a laundry cause it is rude as ****. The bucket works great. After they are dry they will bleed for a while. You can rinse them off again and it will not matter. Below are before and after pics.

66875871.jpg

83666467.jpg

You can use more or less dye and you can do more than one pair at a time. The coverage will not be even but it is good. Wear them a few times before you do this as you may like the original colors.

Good luck!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
Thanks
smile.gif
2vrzvx1.jpg
a9vix4.jpg

Wow! That was just from one summer? Did you wear them every day?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew it was a good idea. My pair's not that great because it's just white but it like turned brown and it didn't fade.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
cancel.sing, send that after pic to J. Crew and I bet they have a version next summer.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Rit dye:

rit_dye.jpg

What color did you use? And do you use the dye:water ratio they recommend, or a more diluted one?

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
cancel.sing, send that after pic to J. Crew and I bet they have a version next summer.
laugh.gif
Yeah, no doubt. I wore them pretty much every day that summer. It had a lot to do with getting them alternately dirty and soaking wet and having paint drip on them. I'm not looking forward to the day they start falling apart...

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
What color did you use? And do you use the dye:water ratio they recommend, or a more diluted one?
I use black but would not hesitate using another color. The black tends to have a ruddy red after cast IMHO. Hard to explain. I approximate water requirements as listed. Also I rinse before it dries which may make it more of a tint then a true dye.

If you are patient you can usually find new Converse for around $14 a pair or even less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads