• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperate need of fashion advice

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AsianChump
So I'm about to return the jeans soon. What color shading of the jeans should I look out for in terms of a. dark jeans b. light jeans I've been seeing a lot of mixed things in terms of this, cept for the dark, which usually entails to almost blackish blue. I just don't get what the lighter ones should be.
get a tighter pair of jeans... where do you live? why dont you just go to your nearest barneys/saks/neimans and try some stuff on and have the SA assist you? dont buy anything but then go to somewhere cheaper and find similar stuff.

dunkin

Reaction score
do you have any friends that are girls? bring the one with the best fashion sense to go shopping with you

work on your self confidence and changing your screen name is a start....

if all else fails....
wear abercrombie and fitch/ american eagle, graduate to supreme and other japanese brands. then graduate to skinny goth ninja (preferred by skinny asians) or engineered garments and woolrich and other "workwear" brands....

nohomo

Reaction score
So I'm about to return the jeans soon. What color shading of the jeans should I look out for in terms of
a. dark jeans
b. light jeans

I've been seeing a lot of mixed things in terms of this, cept for the dark, which usually entails to almost blackish blue. I just don't get what the lighter ones should be.

Gap is having $20 off on any pair of jeans right now. IMO, Gap has very good jeans at their price point, which is about 35 and 68 for their regular and selvage jeans with the discount.

They have a standard, regular, and authentic fit. I forgot which one was the slimmest one, but it shouldn't be too hard to ask a SA at the store for that. Just don't get one that has too much contrast.

jammasterjoejoe

Reaction score
I say you need a pair of raw jeans and you can get these least expensively at gap. While youre there pick up 2-3 tartan plaid shirts to wear with the jeans untucked and a couple nicer shirts to wear tucked under a sweater.

DO NOT buy stuff at gap at full price though. Go right to the sales rack as full price at gap is ridiculous for their quality. Gap and banana republic are gonna be the best places for you to start as you seem to be pretty new to this. Honestly, the sales racks at these places are not terrible because you get the stuff so cheap and it will be a definite upgrade from whatever you've got now.

Go for a skinnier fit on the jean. That GQ article from several pages before showed every one of those guys in slimmer fits after they got their new clothes.

If you're still looking for a nice fall jacket, pick up a military style one with 4 pockets on the front in green or black at h&m or even gap or br if theyre on sale.

dopamine

Reaction score
Alright - the first thing you need to do is tell us how much you're willing to spend on buying a few new pairs of jeans, and then we can give you better suggestions.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
General Gau, Since you're in college, and not wanting (nor should you) to break the bank... Hit up gap and go for a pair of dark straight leg jeans. Go in and give these a shot: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=644885002 Also, if you do not want to walk around in loafers (I would hate having to walk across campus in shoes), go for a pair of Converse All-Stars. They are not poofy, so your jeans will sit nicely over them. Onitsuka Tigers are another great option: http://www.zappos.com/onitsuka-tiger-by-asics . Avoid those DC skater shoes like the plague. Avoid t-shirts with graphics, side-ways new eras and popped collars. Go classic - you can never go wrong. Buy a few button down shirts and well-fitted polos. Some already mentioned this. White and light blue are staples. If you are going out, you can wear these with your jeans and your sneakers to the bar. You won't stand out like a sore thumb, but you won't look like a tool. Regarding your hair, I'm not sure how close you are to chinatown nyc, but you can go in to one of the "fancier" looking places and ask for a scissor cut for less than $30. Tell them you want to grow out your hair. Scissor cuts allow your hair to grow out softer and become more pliable. Avoid the buzzer - as this is what kills the asian hair. Use clay. Don't over think this. Just keep it neat and clean. And please wash your hair more often. If you don't smell good, the ladies won't swing your way.
smile.gif

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Well, I go to a party school, so the majority of the people are from Long Island, so just imagine a bunch of "bros" dressed with the baseball cap cocked at a slight angle, skin tight polo shirts, popped collars, fancy watch (usually substituted with livestrong bracelet), skate shoes, and silver chains. It's basically 89% of the male student population. Imitating or trying to fit in with that style would be detrimental to my overall cause, and even my fashion-marsupialant mind understands that.
Are you referring to a school like stony brook that is running wild with asian frats?

Anyone else cringe when reading that?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to return the jeans soon. What color shading of the jeans should I look out for in terms of a. dark jeans b. light jeans I've been seeing a lot of mixed things in terms of this, cept for the dark, which usually entails to almost blackish blue. I just don't get what the lighter ones should be.
Better luck tomorrow.

AsianChump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Are you referring to a school like stony brook that is running wild with asian frats?

Anyone else cringe when reading that?

We, too, have Asian frats running wild.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
lol8[1].gif

This one time, all the Lambdas ran through the library and did everyone's calculus homework. It was horrific.

brilliant.

How did your returns go, General Gau?

AsianChump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
get a tighter pair of jeans... where do you live? why dont you just go to your nearest barneys/saks/neimans and try some stuff on and have the SA assist you? dont buy anything but then go to somewhere cheaper and find similar stuff.
I have never heard of any of those stores. I don't live near a big city or anything.
Originally Posted by dopamine
Alright - the first thing you need to do is tell us how much you're willing to spend on buying a few new pairs of jeans, and then we can give you better suggestions.
I have a rather limited budget for clothing, mostly obtained over weeks of working in retail. I'm probably willing to spend, at most, $30-40 on a single pair of jeans. Yes, sounds very limited, but I'm not made of money.
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
General Gau,

Since you're in college, and not wanting (nor should you) to break the bank...

Hit up gap and go for a pair of dark straight leg jeans.
Go in and give these a shot: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=644885002

Also, if you do not want to walk around in loafers (I would hate having to walk across campus in shoes), go for a pair of Converse All-Stars. They are not poofy, so your jeans will sit nicely over them. Onitsuka Tigers are another great option: http://www.zappos.com/onitsuka-tiger-by-asics . Avoid those DC skater shoes like the plague.

Avoid t-shirts with graphics, side-ways new eras and popped collars. Go classic - you can never go wrong.

Buy a few button down shirts and well-fitted polos. Some already mentioned this. White and light blue are staples. If you are going out, you can wear these with your jeans and your sneakers to the bar. You won't stand out like a sore thumb, but you won't look like a tool.

Regarding your hair, I'm not sure how close you are to chinatown nyc, but you can go in to one of the "fancier" looking places and ask for a scissor cut for less than $30. Tell them you want to grow out your hair. Scissor cuts allow your hair to grow out softer and become more pliable. Avoid the buzzer - as this is what kills the asian hair. Use clay.

Don't over think this. Just keep it neat and clean.

And please wash your hair more often. If you don't smell good, the ladies won't swing your way.

smile.gif

I'm nowhere close to the city, at least not conveniently. Finding a hairstylist for me was nigh impossible, going to at least every single salon/stylist/barber til I found one, and even then, it's not the professionals like you guys are talking about.

Oh, how I hate how the Gap near me closed down years ago....

So far, I have not returned the jeans due to my work schedule, but I'm going to do so tomorrow, along with purchasing new jeans.

The stores near me are
Kohls
JCPenney
Macy
American Eagle
H&M (I think....)
Hollister
Sears
Aeropostale
Old Navy

In order to find a Gap, I have to go out and make a journey and drive quite a distance, but depending on what I learn, the travel might be good. Unfortunately, my work schedule is severely restricting my traveling.

And lambdas are what they're called? I just think of them as true twinkies.

ranker

Reaction score
Thread slow down? That's odd.

Not much left to say. We gave you all the advice we could. It's up to you to wise up, return your ugly picks, and get the things we recommended. Until you post new pics up with your new purchases, we're just beating a dead horse.
deadhorse-a.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member