• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Curious, are you keeping such books out because of their self-promotional/ commercial nature? I actually find vanity books to be sometimes the most interesting. Nick Foulkes' essays in Rubinacci's book, for example, are rare and delightful readings on the subject of Neapolitan tailoring.
Incidentally, James Sherwood is coming out with a new book, titled The Perfect Gentleman. Might be worth including.

Sorry Derek I either didn't see this earlier or meant to respond and forgot. At first I thought 1) I didn't want to include just pages of ad copy, as the potential for exaggeration or misinformation is higher, 2) the main function of the list would be to help those new to the forum and tailored clothing gain a foothold, and 3) I didn't want to get into pissing matches about if a book belonged (like, say, books on Prada or Armani). I'm now somewhat starting to reconsider though. Maybe just put them in a separate category to make clear what they are?

Gut instinct I'm going with The Suit - safe bet?

One thing to keep in mind if you're planning to make the suit the ONLY book you read - there are no pictures. I think there are a few illustrations, but no photographs. So be sure to come back to SF to find examples of the concepts you see discussed in the book. This is entertaining:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/166861/the-suit-by-manton-an-online-illustrated-companion-group-effort

Prenominating the "Billionaire" compendium.

:rotflmao:

I'm traveling now, will do some thread editing later this weekend to get that Vass book on the list. Also, let me encourage once again any discussion of content in these books. Just read one and you want to discuss it or see what someone else thought? Confused about a technical point? Post in here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry Derek I either didn't see this earlier or meant to respond and forgot. At first I thought 1) I didn't want to include just pages of ad copy, as the potential for exaggeration or misinformation is higher, 2) the main function of the list would be to help those new to the forum and tailored clothing gain a foothold, and 3) I didn't want to get into pissing matches about if a book belonged (like, say, books on Prada or Armani). I'm now somewhat starting to reconsider though. Maybe just put them in a separate category to make clear what they are?

I think that could work.

I personally wouldn't worry about whether Armani or something makes the list. First, groupthink on this board is strong enough that certain brands will never really make it into this thread. Whether that's a good or bad thing is kind of another issue. Second, I don't see any harm with Armani making it on. Personally, I think a good book on the history of Armani would make for a great read. How many books do we need on here to cover what Flusser, Roetzel, and Manton have already said? The introduction stuff is terribly boring after a certain point.

Speaking of books more interesting than the rehashing of Flusser/ Roetzel/ Manton, I recommend adding Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster to the list.

Oh, and This is Donegal Tweed by Judith Hoad.

Last edited:

dustinmyself

Reaction score
anyone have:

Classic Tailoring Techniques by Cabrera

The Boutonniere by Brioni (essentially)

that they would want to sell!? i am very interested in these, however theyre not exactly cheap!

thank you!

(or maybe someone that has read them could give me a brief overview
biggrin.gif
)

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a bunch of books in th mail. Early reports: Storey's History of Fashion reads more like SF 101 for a pre-war English gentleman. For instance, he proclaims a morning coat an absolute necessity, along with detachable collar shirts. He recommends pretty much bespoke everything. It's entertaining at times, but it's not really written as a history of fashion nor are its prescriptions relevant for 99.9% of men in the Western world.

Amies's ABC of Fashion is often entertaining and a light read but it's really organized as a dictionary of terms. It doesn't give a narrative or comprehensive vision needed for an "intro text". So I'm moving it.

Handmade shoes for men (the vass book) is outstanding. Great information, great pictures, well written, easily available and not too expensive. Must have for anyone with interest in the subject.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just ordered Ready-Made Democracy by Michael Zakim. I've read a few essays by him, and they've always been good. This seems worthwhile for those who are interested in the history of men's dress as an academic topic, not just a "practical" one.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read both The Suit by Anton and Dressing the Man by Flusser.

If you're after some hard and fast rules for conventional office attire I'd definately go with Anton - his views are decidedly modern and more individual, but you'd probably need a very basic knowledge of suits and terminology before you started. Flusser's guide is more historical and more related to the dandification of formalwear and probably not worth the price, though it is a very beautiful book.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a bunch of books in th mail. Early reports: Storey's History of Fashion reads more like SF 101 for a pre-war English gentleman. For instance, he proclaims a morning coat an absolute necessity, along with detachable collar shirts. He recommends pretty much bespoke everything. It's entertaining at times, but it's not really written as a history of fashion nor are its prescriptions relevant for 99.9% of men in the Western world.
Amies's ABC of Fashion is often entertaining and a light read but it's really organized as a dictionary of terms. It doesn't give a narrative or comprehensive vision needed for an "intro text". So I'm moving it.
Handmade shoes for men (the vass book) is outstanding. Great information, great pictures, well written, easily available and not too expensive. Must have for anyone with interest in the subject.

If you talk to Nicholas (NJS) you'll see he didn't want it to be called a history. He didn't choose the title the publishers did. And its meant to be, and is, a part of a trilogy. There is also a lot of sly humour in his books which seems to be lost on the literalist americans.

I think a proper reading of Amies does give a coherent narrative. Again it's not written in the self help compulsive optimism style beloved by the USA mainstream. I'd disagree, that read properly, its a light read. It is, as you've already hinted, actually medium to advanced class, not beginner. Its a book that rewards rereading.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's mostly useful as a reference guide to fabrics.

Really, if someone is buying books just because they want to learn how to dress better, there's Flusser, Roetzel, and "Nicholas Antongiavanni." That's it. Beyond that, the other "how to" books get incredibly redundant. The interesting books at that point are more for hobbyist curiosity, IMO - people who want to learn about the history of men's dress, clothing construction, or maybe how men's dress relates to social issues, such as democracy, economic class, and citizenship.

I received Esquire's Encyclopedia, Classic Tailoring Techniques for Men, Savile Row: An Illustrated History, and Ready-Made Democracy recently. All four seem to be excellent, but I'll write more later. I'd go as far as to say that Esquire's Encyclopedia is the best book on classic men's clothing I've ever come across. At least in terms of its simple history (not relating to social issues, of course).

Last edited:

clubman

Reaction score

If you talk to Nicholas (NJS) you'll see he didn't want it to be called a history. He didn't choose the title the publishers did. And its meant to be, and is, a part of a trilogy. There is also a lot of sly humour in his books which seems to be lost on the literalist americans.
I think a proper reading of Amies does give a coherent narrative. Again it's not written in the self help compulsive optimism style beloved by the USA mainstream. I'd disagree, that read properly, its a light read. It is, as you've already hinted, actually medium to advanced class, not beginner. Its a book that rewards rereading.

How true! Irony and tongue in cheek humour do not seem to be much evidenced or appreciated nowadays in the US of A, beyond the film Thank You For Smoking. Makes one wonder how Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel had such success! Maybe they ought to get out of the lavatories more and avoid taking snapshots of themselves in bog-room mirrors, in between schmoozing clients.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mafgd