• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

aldenfan

Reaction score
hoit, I can't help you with sizing on the Epics but I use Epics in my brown Harlechs now and if you get the right size, they fill up the toe box really well. I still think you should have opted for the $$$ C&J trees.
happy.gif
I opted for some Carmina trees on my last Carmina mto and it's a special treat when you're receiving a special boot. Just sayin...
I opted for Carmina trees on my Carmina MTO, but it turns out Carmina doesn't make shoe trees as large as the size of boot/shoe I wear
shog[1].gif

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys correct me if I am wrong but those C&J shoe trees are not lasted?

This is what I thought, and it's why I didn't drop $$$ on the C&J trees. I was thinking at the time that they weren't lasted trees, and that epic's would be a good substitute. The C&J trees aren't lasted right?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what I thought, and it's why I didn't drop $$$ on the C&J trees. I was thinking at the time that they weren't lasted trees, and that epic's would be a good substitute. The C&J trees aren't lasted right?

I inquired about lasted trees in NY store and the salesperson would not give me a definitive answer. He behaved like politician babbling a lot but without saying anything constructive so I sent on an errand into back room to find me a pair of laces while looked over the shoe tree boxes hoping to find some indication that these trees are lasted or that they have at least some identification number that I could refer to but I could find anything that would led me to believe these trees are lasted.

To my knowledge these trees are no lasted, C&J have generic shoes trees and "luxury" shoes trees which have a double hinges but these are not last specific.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The standard C&J shoe tree is not lasted but is suitable for all of their shoes. They refer to these as there "Natural Lime Wood Shoe Trees". In the past they had ones these with just a single hinge. I think these have been discontinued now as the new ones are a double hinge with a hole cut through the center to help drying.

The luxury tree is lasted to the 348. These are refered to as "Hand Grade Shoe Trees", even though the 348 is not used for any C&J handgrade styles.

Left - Single Hinge
Middle - "Handgrade" double hinge
Right - New double hinge with hole

Handgrade

New double hinge with the hole.

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The standard C&J shoe tree is not lasted but is suitable for all of their shoes. They refer to these as there "Natural Lime Wood Shoe Trees". In the past they had ones these with just a single hinge. I think these have been discontinued now as the new ones are a double hinge with a hole cut through the center to help drying. The luxury tree is lasted to the 348. These are refered to as "Hand Grade Shoe Trees", even though the 348 is not used for any C&J handgrade styles. Left - Single Hinge Middle - "Handgrade" double hinge Right - New double hinge with hole Handgrade New double hinge with the hole.
Very informative. Thanks!

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The standard C&J shoe tree is not lasted but is suitable for all of their shoes. They refer to these as there "Natural Lime Wood Shoe Trees". In the past they had ones these with just a single hinge. I think these have been discontinued now as the new ones are a double hinge with a hole cut through the center to help drying.

The luxury tree is lasted to the 348. These are refered to as "Hand Grade Shoe Trees", even though the 348 is not used for any C&J handgrade styles.

Great Post, thanks
I've read here in the past that the luxury shoe tree it's based on 337 last, so it fits the 348 better?

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have both the Saville (337) and many styles on the 348.

The handgrade shoe tree fits the 348 perfectly where as it is not perfectly matched the 337.

I use the standard shoe tree for my saville.

All of my 348's (monkton, lowndes, tetbury, milton, etc.) use the handgrade tree.

I have also been told by the manager of C&J NYC Kevin Hill that the handgrade tree is indeed lasted to the 348.

EDIT: I would post pics of these two lasts and the trees, but its hard to tell unless you can feel the tree in the shoe. the handgrade though follows perfectly the lines of the 348 there is no mistaking it.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have both the Saville (337) and many styles on the 348.

The handgrade shoe tree fits the 348 perfectly where as it is not perfectly matched the 337.

I use the standard shoe tree for my saville.

All of my 348's (monkton, lowndes, tetbury, milton, etc.) use the handgrade tree.

I have also been told by the manager of C&J NYC Kevin Hill that the handgrade tree is indeed lasted to the 348.

EDIT: I would post pics of these two lasts and the trees, but its hard to tell unless you can feel the tree in the shoe. the handgrade though follows perfectly the lines of the 348 there is no mistaking it.

Thanks for all your input, PCK1. Very helpful.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PCK1,

Thank you for sorting this out for us. It is no point of buying generic shoe trees. However when I go ti NY I will try 348 lasted shoe tress to see how they fit my Harlech.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PCK1,

Thank you for sorting this out for us. It is no point of buying generic shoe trees. However when I go ti NY I will try 348 lasted shoe tress to see how they fit my Harlech.

Since the Harlech is on a 341 last I'm not sure how much the luxury trees are worth it as opposed to C&J's standard tree or any other quality tree.

I don't have any C&J's on a 341 so I can't comment on the fit of the trees.

Perhaps someone who already has a pair of Harlech's can comment on the type of trees they use/find best.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm fairly OCD on most stuff but don't think I am for shoe trees and the need for lasted trees. I don't normally opt for the manufacturer's trees because IMO they are overpriced. I made an exception for the incoming whiskey Harlechs (their mainline trees) and some recently received EP Carmina MTO boots, just because I wanted to make the whole experience special.

For most of my boots, I use either the Woodlore twin tube Epics or the Woodlore/AE solid toe trees. My favorite is the Epic. It is what I use for my Harlechs and my Conistons and I think they do a really decent job of filling the toebox. There's a big difference in paying $20-30 for some trees compared to $100 or more.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm fairly OCD on most stuff but don't think I am for shoe trees and the need for lasted trees.  I don't normally opt for the manufacturer's trees because IMO they are overpriced. I made an exception for the incoming whiskey Harlechs (their mainline trees) and some recently received EP Carmina MTO boots, just because I wanted to make the whole experience special.

For most of my boots, I use either the Woodlore twin tube Epics or the Woodlore/AE solid toe trees.  My favorite is the Epic.  It is what I use for my Harlechs and my Conistons and I think they do a really decent job of filling the toebox.  There's a big difference in paying $20-30 for some trees compared to $100 or more.

+1

I use lasted trees only when they are included in the price of the shoes (some EG and JL models). Beyond that, I typically use Woodlore/AE/JAB full toe trees or Alden split toe trees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads