• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

country houses

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
seriously no one interested in them? where do you wear all your tweed?
laugh.gif

here are a few examples. first one is owned by john fowler of colefax and fowler i think. second is gil schafer's country home he built for himself. third is one he did for a client.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love the work of Edwin Lutyens. There are some nice books on him.

Also, if you are simply interested in house Appreciation, the editors of Country Life magazine have published some very nice coffee table books over the years.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I love the work of Edwin Lutyens. There are some nice books on him.

Also, if you are simply interested in house Appreciation, the editors of Country Life magazine have published some very nice coffee table books over the years.

I have a Country Life subscription.
blush.gif

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
just looking for book recs, architects, interior designers and great pics for inspiration if you have them. i'm not very well versed in country life but have a plot of land would like to build one on. will probably start with the colefax and fowler books though they still seem very city and elegant to me.

thanks manton will look into your rec.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaiserkarl
just looking for book recs, architects, interior designers and great pics for inspiration if you have them. i'm not very well versed in country life but have a plot of land would like to build one on. will probably start with the colefax and fowler books though they still seem very city and elegant to me.

thanks manton will look into your rec.

What style are you looking for? Is this going to be a palatial house, a cottage, a converted barn, etc.? A country house could be rustic and little, or giant and regal, or anything in between.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
definitely not the regal/ aristrocatic types. though i will buy one of those books on Lutyen Manton suggested. they are nice to look at although i probably will not buy the ones that go for $200+.

some things that have interested me lately.

hypersonic

Reaction score
I really like this one in Somerset, England.

The gatehouse at the main entrance:
1251dt3.jpg

As you progress down the driveway, you see the main house across the lake.
30utwuw.jpg

It is a 19th century Gothic revival style.
2hz61bq.jpg

24dr5ur.jpg

i2ss93.jpg

90spat.jpg

2rf7mmv.jpg

2mhvayu.jpg

i3z6yo.jpg

2m3pcn4.jpg

The rear entrance on the village side of the property.
2znr7k0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads