• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton suit jacket fit check

jaaz16

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if this cotton suit is tailor-able or if I should return it. It can only be taken in, not let out anywhere.

Tried to get the best lighting and increased the exposure to really highlight any creases. I think the front looks good minus of course shortening the sleeves. But like every jacket with me, the back is not clean OTR. Collar roll, which I always get. And then a variety of lines that I can’t tell whether they can be resolved by taking in around the back, or represent a fit that will never work. In terms of “how does it feel” I’d just say that nothing feels snug on the body except for the armholes which are a bit high, but comfortable when I’m seated or walking around.

(oh and the matching pants need to be taken in at the waist and seat, which I think is causing the bunching in the photos).

Last edited:

jaaz16

Reaction score
Decided I didn’t like how high the armholes hit and do not think it otherwise fits well enough for a tailor to fix so it’s going back.

If anyone happens to see this post, can I get a gut check on the length of this linen jacket (or anything else)? Camera is against a wall on a mantle so should have minimal distortion. My gut says it’s a touch long but possibly good. When I put the photos into photoshop the hem hits at almost exactly halfway to the ground from the top of the collar, or ~52-54% of the way down to the hem of the pants. I understand those to be general rules of thumb to go by.

C5E59A7C-1B25-432E-83C8-A2A5409A7865.jpeg
30433511-7047-4272-B913-6250DE236FD2.jpeg M
4E018DD9-2C27-48B5-9634-D76C5DB9296F.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The linen suit looks great on you. Jacket length is fine.

I know you took the photos of the cotton suit down, but personally that suit is kinda neither fish nor fowl to me. Navy tonal cotton seersucker, fine. Garment-washed casual blue, fine too. That suit looks too formal for cotton. It will never drape as well as wool, and will not age well with wear and cleaning. I think you made the right choice to send it back, fit issues notwithstanding.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys.

And thanks for the additional feedback on the blue suit @breakaway01. My wife loved the color in person--and it is indeed a beautiful color--but you're exactly right about the drape and in/formality. It was definitely too casual for times calling for a navy suit and the fabric was almost too formal for a truly casual suit for more business casual situations I intended it for. And the cotton just didn't move all that great on body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads