• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corby trouser press - are they worth it?

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Now that we're very much in to flannel season, i'd like to see how members keep their trousers pressed and the crease sharp. for someone time-short, is the Corby trouser press the best answer? They must have sold millions of units, so they must do the job reasonably well, but I recall having one years ago, but ended up throwing it out as i just couldn't get the results i wanted. Creases didn't come out sharp, and i can't recall much improvement to wrinkles around the knees or thighs either. It was definitely heating up, but think it's possibly the heating pads might have been past it... do they 'wear out' after time? Not entirely sure how they could, but i think at the time of disposal i was told they had a 'end date'.
Either way, it would be great to know if members own them and find them useful (in which case i should probably reacquire and learn to use it properly), or if there is a rival technique that is demonstrably superior?
Many thanks indeed all.

rjc149

Reaction score
The foam lining the back panel deteriorates over time, creating weird ripple wrinkles in the trousers. I’ve had mine for about 8 years and the foam is gone. I actually came across this post looking for a way to repair it, because apparently Corby will only sell the replacement foam to a licensed electrician.

I’m researching a DIY fix that won’t burn my apartment down. Apparently it’s fixable.

notdos

Reaction score
The foam lining the back panel deteriorates over time, creating weird ripple wrinkles in the trousers. I’ve had mine for about 8 years and the foam is gone. I actually came across this post looking for a way to repair it, because apparently Corby will only sell the replacement foam to a licensed electrician.

I’m researching a DIY fix that won’t burn my apartment down. Apparently it’s fixable.
Dunno if this is where you tried getting the foam. Looks like you can just click and buy?

rjc149

Reaction score
Dunno if this is where you tried getting the foam. Looks like you can just click and buy?

Yes this from Corby, but you can also install an ironing board topper. I read some other post from a guy who installed 3mm thick neoprene by stapling it around the heating coils... I may go this route, since the neoprene will hold up better/longer than the open-cell foam. I'll update here.

Kind of unreal that a $300 trouser press is only as good as the cheap foam panel that actually presses the trousers, which deteriorates in a few years and is not user-replaceable. Like, WTF seriously. If it goes bust, I'll just toss the thing and go back to regular old ironing.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Yes this from Corby, but you can also install an ironing board topper. I read some other post from a guy who installed 3mm thick neoprene by stapling it around the heating coils... I may go this route, since the neoprene will hold up better/longer than the open-cell foam. I'll update here.

Kind of unreal that a $300 trouser press is only as good as the cheap foam panel that actually presses the trousers, which deteriorates in a few years and is not user-replaceable. Like, WTF seriously. If it goes bust, I'll just toss the thing and go back to regular old ironing.
Having faffed about with it for a couple of weeks, and getting thoroughly 'corrugated' results, i concluded the device, despite its lore and longevity (in homes as well as international hotels), is utterly useless.
I am back to pressing with an iron, having wasted £180 on a replacement for one i wasted £100 on 15yrs ago. Can't believe I fell for it again!

rjc149

Reaction score
Having faffed about with it for a couple of weeks, and getting thoroughly 'corrugated' results, i concluded the device, despite its lore and longevity (in homes as well as international hotels), is utterly useless.
I am back to pressing with an iron, having wasted £180 on a replacement for one i wasted £100 on 15yrs ago. Can't believe I fell for it again!
Leaning toward this conclusion myself. I honestly didn't see the 'value add' this device purported to perform over periodic ironing. It takes up real estate in my bedroom, too.

I 'field-stripped' it by removing the front panel -- some metal bar held in place with a tension screw popped back into the unit, and everything else is riveted. This is likely more trouble than it's worth, but I have nothing to lose. Either I fix it or toss it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads