• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

I could never get my head around him having that title. Oscar Niemeyer who was 20 years his senior will always be my Brazilian modernist.

Sergio Niemeyer was a great designer, but Brazilian modernism pre-dates him, so the title is incorrect. Joaquim Tenreiro would have been the famous furniture designer working 20 years before him, who furnished Niemeyer buildings and a major influence to Niemeyer. Jorge Zalszupin, who founded the design collective L'Atelier, deserves mention as well.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could never get my head around him having that title. Oscar Niemeyer who was 20 years his senior will always be my Brazilian modernist.

I think it references the furniture design and not buildings, they were both pioneers in creating the brazilian design language, which can still be found in new designs today.

Sergio Niemeyer was a great designer, but Brazilian modernism pre-dates him, so the title is incorrect. Joaquim Tenreiro would have been the famous furniture designer working 20 years before him, who furnished Niemeyer buildings and a major influence to Niemeyer. Jorge Zalszupin, who founded the design collective L'Atelier, deserves mention as well.

Tenreio was Portuguese and Jorge Zalszupin was polish, so I would it's a matter interpretation whether or not, they were Brazilian modernists, both did great work, but I prefer Rodrigues over both.

I would mind having a Diz, Oscar, Tété or Mole at my house.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

Tenreio was Portuguese and Jorge Zalszupin was polish, so I would it's a matter interpretation whether or not, they were Brazilian modernists, .

If you are excluded on the basis of being an immigrant, then both North and South America have little "home grown" talent during the early 20th century modernism. The entire basis of Brazilian modernism is the blending of native and European sensibilities.

Tenreiro was living in and making furniture in Brazil before Rodrigues was out of diapers. He pioneered what would become the influence to later designers, including Rodrigues. As an important designer of the 40's and 50's, he was a contemporary of, and on par with the likes of Carlo Mollino and Gio Ponti. His early pieces are in the six figure range at auction.

I love Rodrigues' work, as evidenced by previous posts, but to call him the "father" of Brazilian modernism is simply chronologically impossible.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys, total design/furniture noob here - I wonder if I could ask for some help with bookshelves? I very much would like to pick up one or two Sapien shelves at some point this fall (A friend has one, I like the small footprint, and I enjoy the sort of chaotic appearance of a tower of books - not to mention they seem (?) affordable), but know nowhere near enough to understand where I should be buying them from to ensure I don't end up with crap. Then again, if anyone has other recommendations for similarly space-saving designs, I am 100% made of ears.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you are excluded on the basis of being an immigrant, then both North and South America have little "home grown" talent during the early 20th century modernism. The entire basis of Brazilian modernism is the blending of native and European sensibilities.

Tenreiro was living in and making furniture in Brazil before Rodrigues was out of diapers. He pioneered what would become the influence to later designers, including Rodrigues. As an important designer of the 40's and 50's, he was a contemporary of, and on par with the likes of Carlo Mollino and Gio Ponti. His early pieces are in the six figure range at auction.

I love Rodrigues' work, as evidenced by previous posts, but to call him the "father" of Brazilian modernism is simply chronologically impossible.

Like I said its up to interpretation.

This is pretty much the explanation why.

Sergio Rodrigues has been dubbed the father of Brazilian furniture. Indeed, he was responsible for establishing a new paradigm in design, setting himself apart with his very own language in his quest for a clearly recognizable Brazilian identity. He became notorious for his use of robust woods like jacaranda, peroba and imbue to create quintessential icons. His notorious “Mole” armchair was an immediate success, comprised of jacaranda and upholstered cushions supported by leather straps. The piece, informed by Rodrigues’ playfulness and wit, readily became associated with a typically relaxed Brazilian attitude and lifestyle.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

Hey guys, total design/furniture noob here - I wonder if I could ask for some help with bookshelves? I very much would like to pick up one or two Sapien shelves at some point this fall (A friend has one, I like the small footprint, and I enjoy the sort of chaotic appearance of a tower of books - not to mention they seem (?) affordable), but know nowhere near enough to understand where I should be buying them from to ensure I don't end up with crap. Then again, if anyone has other recommendations for similarly space-saving designs, I am 100% made of ears.

You´ll find many suppliers for Rinaldi´s Sapien shelves on the net. I suppose the main thing that distinguishes the original is the solid base and the solid one piece narrow spine when looked at side on. Many reproductions try using cheap folded metal for slotting the shelves into.(probably to save on cost while still offering stability). Considering the cost of the originals relatively speaking not much more than the replicas just make sure it is an original and you cannot go wrong. The Shelves come from Sintesi originally
Here is another manufacturer http://www.dwr.com/product/sapien-bookcase-short.do
Even though I normally wouldn´t recommend any replica I do make an exception in this case. While Rinaldi is accredited with designing the shelves, for me its nothing more than a knock off of the many magazine and CD racks that were popular in the 90´s. In fact Rinaldi took his design further with the Ptolomeo CD rack around the same time.
If you really want to do something special a good metal worker could make one for you to your specs.

Anyway heres a nice link with a few alternatives
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...r=2077&page=1&start=0&ndsp=41&ved=0CDwQrQMwCA

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, looking for input on what to do with the below space. Initially I had thought about leaning a large mirror against the wall but havent found one thus far that I have taken to. Artwork is a possibility but not my forte and is likely to result in me not filling the space at all. Furniture would be the most functional but the piece is not obvious given the restrictions on depth.

The wall is 7' across and about 5' to the side table. Ceiling is 10'.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First I would take care of open wiring then I would paint this brik wall all white.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics