• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have discovered a fundamental point of compatability that should be used by match.com: Should every horizontal surface have crap all over it?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have discovered a fundamental point of compatability that should be used by match.com: Should every horizontal surface have crap all over it?

The problem is that the yes/no proportions on that between men and women don't match up.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have zero usable counter space in my house... should probably do something about that.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Lefty. We have a rule of putting it in the dish washer or drying and putting away the bigger pots and pans. If you can't accomplish that simple task then I'd assume your counter will get cluttered in no time making a drying rack fit right in!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind the occasional remnants of life, but prefer all work surfaces and serving areas to be clear if possible. Often difficult to do if you are in a relationship and live with someone.

I like to treat the kitchen the same way I treat my workshop, all work surfaces clear, easily accessible but neatly stored sharp objects, catalogued accoutrements and materials and all walk-ways completely clear.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the occasional remnants of life, but prefer all work surfaces and serving areas to be clear if possible. Often difficult to do if you are in a relationship and live with someone.

I like to treat the kitchen the same way I treat my workshop, all work surfaces clear, easily accessible but neatly stored sharp objects, catalogued accoutrements and materials and all walk-ways completely clear.

I can't stand kitchens like that, they end up looking more like showrooms than lived-in spaces.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand the showroom/lived in dichotomy. Places are either lived in or they aren't, and setting a place up so it looks lived in is no different than setting it up as a gallery. Some people have big kitchens that look nice with some display things they like out and about and still function well for making dinner. Other people make their kitchens very purposeful and work like but they burn their cheerios. Which is actually more useful?

It seems to me that the real problem is the very prevalent belief that design is only for looks, and not for living, but this is what makes design artifice. If you don't see it that way, then it isn't, it is living.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean, I think just for me I've always lived places where there have always been things left around, a bowl of fruit (or garlic, the latter being preferable), a chopping board, stuff like that. Kitchens that don't have any of that just don't feel lived in to me.

Both are a design idea, I just personally really dislike the idea of an empty kitchen. Obviously you need some clear space though, and it needs to be kept clean.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I like some stuff around too. My only point is that there need not be a conflict between design and use, but we, for some reason, tend to see use as sitting in front of a TV with cheetos and beer in our underwear, and we see design as perfectly clean surfaces and aligned pillows and sofas without skidmarks. By keeping those things, living and concept, so far apart, we engage in neither and end up miserable. Maybe both are in need of change.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we still talking about dish racks? If so, I'm going to have to stick with the "against it" side.

lefty

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have this folding dish rack stowed under my sink and pull it out when needed...it is plenty sturdy and functional.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/36980400/
I actually usually set it on the floor :embar: since it only gets pulled out when the dishwasher is full and the other surfaces near the sink are already in use.

Sometimes I wish I just had one that is out all of the time, but don't have space for it and don't really need it. If I lived in a multi-person household where there were always new dishes being created, I would not be opposed to coming up with a decent looking solution that lives next to the sink....It doesn't become a problem of "it never gets put away" if that is where it is supposed to be.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I like some stuff around too. My only point is that there need not be a conflict between design and use, but we, for some reason, tend to see use as sitting in front of a TV with cheetos and beer in our underwear, and we see design as perfectly clean surfaces and aligned pillows and sofas without skidmarks. By keeping those things, living and concept, so far apart, we engage in neither and end up miserable. Maybe both are in need of change.

Ah, gotcha.

I visited my uncles place a few months back, he's just converted an old house in Provence and has brought back a lot of stuff from his various travels which is strewn around the house. The kitchen has plenty of fresh produce within arms reach, fresh flowers, recipe books, but there's still plenty of space to do everything you might need to. I think it's important to have that in a home, but other people's opinions are just as right as me, I just know what kind of home I'd prefer to live in.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** your mantle horns, **** your table horns, **** everything on that table, **** your tomatoes, **** your antique ladder, **** your furnace and above all **** your bug zapper racket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads