• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrasting collars: Yes or No?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker coming out to defend contrasting collars. For whatever reason, I am not a fan of collars with stripes or most other patterns, so I have white collars and cuffs put on my otherwise patterned shirts for business. Also, I think white is a very good color for my skin tone, and so having a contrasting collar (and of course cuffs) allows for better framing of the face and the infusion of color and patterns.

Since most of my shirts are solids, contrasting collar shirts are by no means a linchpin of my wardrobe, and I probably would never try to make this a common look.

I agree that this look is out of place in casual wear.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a green/blue/white striped T&A shirt with a white collar and cuffs as well as a royal blue solid RLPL shirt with white (Keaton) collar and royal blue cuffs. I'm OK with the T&A and I love the RLPL, although I originally thought the color was much too dark for me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
31.gif
contrasting collars?

no offense...
laugh.gif

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression this was somehow an English
idea, and with that some sartorial tradition. For as much as English influence is paid homage, i'd think they would be more readily accepted. I know the connection with the detachable collar historicaly, but does someone know if there is an actual English provenance to this?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think I would try it with light blue first, just so if it's a mistake for my complexion it won't be THAT bad.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i like them and i plan to pick some for next summer but only with contrasting collars not cuffs!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if they are high and wide spread. If one doesn't have the face/neck to look good in it, then no. It serves that kind of head up like a platter.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
no, I think the movie office space really ruined the idea of this look for me.

Lumberg wore it the worst possible way: low point collar, baggy shirt, clip on braces plus belt, terrible ties.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
no, I think the movie office space really ruined the idea of this look for me.

It is a great movie, I agree, but Gary Cole's smarminess is insufficient to put me off a style that I really like. If I rejected things because I reject some of the other people that like them, I'd be living naked in a cave.
smile.gif

Ron Livingston looked absolutely smashing wearing suits in this film, IMHO, even though his character hated the corporate slavery that the suits represented.

pkincy

Reaction score
I have just bought 2, a Brioni and a RLPL. I will wear the Brioni, not because of who made it but because it is a white collar on a predominately white background with dark grey and green pinstriping relatively widely spaced. So the shirt/collar does not contrast much.

That is how I will ease into the wearing for business purposes.

The RLPL I love. It is orange and blue stripes with a white Keaton collar. It was only carried in a few stores this year and is way too forward for business, but I can hardly wait to wear it to dinner with a new RLPL pinstriped Veddy English suit I bought.

Perry

royal618

Reaction score
I was out shopping at lunch and was in a pen shop - the proprietor had a pale blue shirt with a gingham check. The collar and cuffs had a smaller, mini-gingham check in the same colours.

Interesting look - quirky, and with bow tie, even more so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads