• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Please tell me this is a joke.

No, it's not a joke. If you make a square, or to give it it's proper name, a reef knot in your shoe laces, they will very seldom if ever loosen on their own.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton, what is your opinion about a 4x2 suit for conservative business dress? I like oldogs 6x1's, but the 4x2's look a bit leaner; is there a question of formality?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
z - would you say this photograph is a good representation of the in-real-life color? I've found it hard to pinpoint the exact shade.

Also, is that shirt made by Peter Lee? While I know it's a popular style fabric, it really looks like a few I have by him.

The close-up is a very accurate representation. It's lighter than navy, and it has these variegations of an even lighter blue that make the fabric have even more visual interest. The shirt is not Peter Lee.

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
How do you like the fabric? Any reservations?

I really love the look of the fabric, but I really prefer my blues on the lighter side. Obviously, it's not flashy, but it's also not the most conservative of blues. Some have noted the scratchiness of fresco, and others have pooh-poohed that notion. I have several pairs of pants made with the same fabric in other colors, and it took some getting used to. It doesn't really bother me anymore, but most other fabrics are more comfortable. It may bother some.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG00009-20110330-0832.jpg

IMG00010-20110330-0834.jpg

It's about to storm so I'm wearing my beater shoes, which are probably still conservative enough.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the pink shirt takes it out of the realm of conservative business dress, but, since the rest of the fit (perhaps with the exception of the tie) is in line with my understanding of conservative business dress, I thought I post for feedback:
1000000563.JPG
1000000566.JPG
1000000564.JPG

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Pretty sure the pink shirt takes it out of the realm of conservative business dress, but, since the rest of the fit (perhaps with the exception of the tie) is in line with my understanding of conservative business dress, I thought I post for feedback:

1000000563.JPG

Those are some big lapels, tie looks very shiny, but I like the look.
Something I've noticed with your pics lately, either you're increasing the color saturation or you are wearing makeup. I hope it's the former.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I don't care about the knots - I just want to know whether those shoes are Mink Suede
smile.gif

Yes.

Seriously, I have seen some ridiculous nits picked on Style Forum, but shoe knots?

I sail so I know how to tie a small variety of basic knots but I have never known that there was a "correct" one for tying one's shoes and that mine is "wrong."

This is like the time some ass criticized me for an "off center tie dimple." Well, OK. You got me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Manton, what is your opinion about a 4x2 suit for conservative business dress? I like oldogs 6x1's, but the 4x2's look a bit leaner; is there a question of formality?

I think it would be odd. It's just not seen much any more. The rarity alone would make it look antique and distraction.

My DJ is 4x1 but I don't think I will ever get anything else with that config.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

It's not that it's pink, it's that it's hot pink.

The tie is a bit flashy, too.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really isn't hot pink IRL, I upped the saturation a bit in an attempt to correct some of the iPhone's shortfalls. The second pic is more in line with the shirt's true coloring. The tie is definitely flashy, however.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
20110330_shoes.jpg

Improper knot.

BTW, I like the sqare, not sure it goes with that ensemble however.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really isn't hot pink IRL, I upped the saturation a bit in an attempt to correct some of the iPhone's shortfalls. The second pic is more in line with the shirt's true coloring. The tie is definitely flashy, however.

The shirt is probably bordering on the too deep a shade of pink to be a classic shirting shade, but with a navy or brown grenadine tie it would look better. Suit looks good.

Originally Posted by Manton
Improper knot.

BTW, I like the sqare, not sure it goes with that ensemble however.

Same knot I've been tying for around 35 yrs
wink.gif

I wasn't 100% convinced about the square - In retrospect I think it needs a darker or much lighter suit

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I only know how to tie one shoe knot, and now I find out it's all wrong. My world's upside down.

I can barely master one, now I learn there's a whole wide world of shoe knots I can be experimenting with. Linkz plz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads