• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conne Goes Vegetarian

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's going well so far. I've resumed my daily exercise in addition to the new diet. The meat cravings are not there. That may change, but the fact that I will allow myself the occasional cheat (I had some sushi recently, for example) should keep the cravings to a minimum.

The goal now is to cut back a bit on the carb consumption. It's too easy to have oatmeal, then a vegetable sandwich, then pasta at dinner.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
uggh. there's nothing unhealthy about meat. you can eat a lot of vegetables and eat a lot of meat too. it doesnt have to be either or

i meat (lol) so many self proclaimed vegetarians that are fat as ****. the rest of them are skinny as hell with bodies like toothpicks

there's so many things that qualify as vegetarian that are so incredibly unhealthy and laden with calories (eg various fried doughs, pancakes, whatever). it's not vegetarianism that's healthy but vegetables that are healthy

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

uggh. there's nothing unhealthy about meat. you can eat a lot of vegetables and eat a lot of meat too. it doesnt have to be either or

i meat (lol) so many self proclaimed vegetarians that are fat as ****. the rest of them are skinny as hell with bodies like toothpicks

there's so many things that qualify as vegetarian that are so incredibly unhealthy and laden with calories (eg various fried doughs, pancakes, whatever). it's not vegetarianism that's healthy but vegetables that are healthy

The only thing more annoying than self-righteous vegetarians (and vegans) is defensive meat eaters.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Just eat balanced. Ideally, don't eat meat every day. Eat it once or twice per week. Once or twice per week fish. Many vegetables (get Plenty, seriously). Not too many carbs (differentiate though, rather cut out wheat flour but eat as much amaranth, bulgure or whatever as you want). Not too much fat (and I do not mean omit olive oil or butter when you cook, just keep everything in relation, and greatly reduce refined fats). Not too much alcohol. Not too many sweets. Voilà. You're good to go.
If you eat small portions of fish or meat, you can eat it every day, too - if you want to. Doesn't have to be 300g every day. If you're not hapy with what you do, you can't keep doing it for the rest of your life (which is what would be the best thing to do.. temporarily is, well, just temporarily).
And stop eating when you're sated. Learn to know when you've had enough.

Probably replace sugar with xylitol for your coffee/tea.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you're gonna cut carbs whilst being vegetarian. What are you gonna eat instead butter or eggs? People seem to forget the fact that vegetables are entirely carbs. Good luck with your water retention and looking bloated goals of 2012.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only thing more annoying than self-righteous vegetarians (and vegans) is defensive meat eaters.

i coudl ******* care less about defending meat consumption, but it's annoying as **** when people talk about how they need to eat healthier and equate that with vegetarianism.

i hate how people think a magic diet is going to solve problems. low carb, low fat, low meat, cabbage only, whatever the ******* is is not going to magically make your obesity go away. what happened to portion control and moderation and exercise

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with indesertum from personal experience. My sister has been a vegetarian since 16 and is obese. She was healthy and skinny before, but treated being a vegetarian as a green light to eat whatever she wanted and say no to anything she doesn't like. That means for the past 15 years her diet has been almost entirely bread in different forms (loaf, pasta, crust, cracker, etc.) and dairy (cheese, cheese, and more cheese). It was terrible - my folks would take us out to nice restaurants that could put together a hell of a vegetarian dish and she would order a grilled cheese off menu. She was up here this past weekend visiting and I tried cooking a number of vegetarian meals that were much healthier version of what she likes, but she barely ate anything. Like choked down two bites like a 6 year old was then said her stomach hurt. I'm not surprised she has a whole host of health problems related to her digestive system.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She was up here this past weekend visiting and I tried cooking a number of vegetarian meals that were much healthier version of what she likes, but she barely ate anything. Like choked down two bites like a 6 year old was then said her stomach hurt. I'm not surprised she has a whole host of health problems related to her digestive system.

Perhaps you are just an awful cook. :)

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you are just an awful cook. :)

:lol: Eh, usually I'd blame myself, but she's done that at some respected restaurants too. What a piece of work. It's all vegetarianism's fault :tinfoil:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm assuming Conne has already addressed and conquered his alcoholism and sugar addiction. Otherwise, eliminating meat under the guise of getting healthy seems kind of pointless.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I agree with indesertum from personal experience. My sister has been a vegetarian since 16 and is obese. She was healthy and skinny before, but treated being a vegetarian as a green light to eat whatever she wanted and say no to anything she doesn't like. That means for the past 15 years her diet has been almost entirely bread in different forms (loaf, pasta, crust, cracker, etc.) and dairy (cheese, cheese, and more cheese). It was terrible - my folks would take us out to nice restaurants that could put together a hell of a vegetarian dish and she would order a grilled cheese off menu. She was up here this past weekend visiting and I tried cooking a number of vegetarian meals that were much healthier version of what she likes, but she barely ate anything. Like choked down two bites like a 6 year old was then said her stomach hurt. I'm not surprised she has a whole host of health problems related to her digestive system.

So, your sister has some sort of dysphagia, and therefore vegetarianism is suspect. I like your logic!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, your sister has some sort of dysphagia, and therefore vegetarianism is suspect. I like your logic!

So, you have some sort of dysphasia, and therefore my point is suspect? My point was that vegetarianism does not always equal a healthier diet, which is what indesertum was saying. dick.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should only consider yourself a vegetarian if you refrain from consuming meat/fish because of ethical reasons, imo. There is nothing wrong with that.
If you, however, don't eat meat or fish because you want to lose weight, that would be a purely selfish reason and I wouldn't consider you a vegetarian. You don't want to solely eat vegetables (and dairy, eggs). You just do it for a short time frame to lose some weight, and possibly eat meat and fish now and then during your "vegetarian diet". People need to regain consciousness of what is healthy and what isn't. You don't need diets or books from self-declared "weight-losing-gods" that tell you how you should lose your weight. It's all a matter of your own attitude. YOU need to decide for yourself whether you want to lose weight, eat healthier in general or whatever. And then act according to it. It's no rocket science.
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy."

And yeah, I dislike people that defend meat by all means (our digestive tract isn't primarily focused on digesting meat... it just takes a too long time to digest meat in comparison to light vegetables). I also dislike ultra-intolerant vegetarians/vegans (it's up to anyone what they eat or what they don't eat).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads