• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors to wear for light skin/dark hair/dark eyes?

nortoons

Reaction score
I've been looking for some good clothing colors to complement my skin and hair tones. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding anything that talks about the combination of light skin, dark hair, and dark eyes, which is what I've got. My skin is very fair and I don't tan well (I end up burning and/or freckling if I try), and my hair and eyes are both very dark brown. Most everything I can find regarding colors for complementing skin and hair tones deal with pale skin/blue eyes/blond hair, or dark skin/dark hair/dark eyes. For someone with a high contrast like me, what colors/shades should I be wearing, and which should I avoid?

withstyle

Reaction score
I have your coloring.

best colors: navy blue, light blue, pink
good colors: white, lavender, black, gray
bad colors: green, red, yellow

brown is also good in combinations (but not on its own) since it will pick up your eyes/hair... for instance, try pairing a brown sport coat with a light blue shirt and dark blue tie.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
colours to wear for blue skin / white teeth / dark eyes?

edit - in all seriousness though, some hue palettes are very suited to certain skin tones. may i respectfully suggest that perhaps the gent from melbourne doesn't think men worry about this kind of thing because australia is a rather brash country (which is not a bad thing, i'm a pretty brash and masculine dude myself, but i still realize that my skin doesnt let me wear, say, mustard yellow with the insouciance that a black person perhaps would)

nortoons

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, withstyle!

Smellslikepoorpeople, I'm not really "worried" about wearing the right colors, but if I can adapt my wardrobe to suit me better with some simple color changes, why not give it a shot?

Nas

Reaction score
I generally don't care about these things but in the OP's case I think bright red should be avoided.

vezatron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smellslikepoorpeople
I honestly didn't know there were men that worried about this kind of thing.

The "winter-spring-summer-fall" complexion thing is real.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so good for many people with fair skin, dark eyes, dark hair:
All white above the waist (skin color should be distinct from the clothing)
All black above the waist (all sorts of associations)
All bright colors above the waist (makes skin look more pale and/or looks bad in and of itself)

Almost anything else should be fine, although dark colors with some red in them might be best. Choose what appeals to you.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smellslikepoorpeople
I honestly didn't know there were men that worried about this kind of thing.

Men who care at all about their appearance think about it. Nothing weird here.

If you aren't thinking about it, you probably should.

EyeglassMaven

Reaction score
Outer Vision in New York City is the answer to your problem. What Phyllis does is looks at a picture of you and customizes glasses and sunglasses to fit your face and coloring and your lifestyle. Check out the website to learn more about how you can look your absolute best in customized fashion eyewear.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member