• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee Makers - French?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The breakfast room in our hotel in Paris in July featured a coffee maker such as I've never seen before. I don't really know coffee makers well but have looked in Cleveland area stores and seen nothing like it. It takes these beautiful, disc-shaped objects that fit in a slot. Basically small donut-sized, they appear metalic and the color depends on the flavor. I recall a green and blue-green, for example - six or seven colors in all. Each disc was a beautiful object to visualize each early morning each day. Obviously, the machine does one cup at a time. It also had several buttons with images, which when pressed would determine how much of the cup would be filled.
Is anyone familiar with this type coffee maker? Are these common in Europe or France in general? Who makes them? Have you ever seen any sold in the U.S? Thanks!
tinfoil.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I started looking up "Nespresso." If the discs in this photo are the only type they are not the same shape (and, frankly, don't have the same beauty....):
The machine I'm inquiring about has perfectly round discs like a small donut or bagel. Nespresso flavors shown here are similar, however, like that "ristretto" (whatever that is).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The discs you mention are probably espresso pods - an alternative to Nespresso's capsule system. There are many makers using that standard, including illy, Senseo, etc...

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see another photo of Nespresso "capsules" on Flickr.... These seem to be a different shape and are closer, though I thought the ones I'm searching for are more of a pure donut or bagel shape.

hws

Reaction score
Lavazza also have pod system, but not flat disc. Now much company, such as Saeco also, offer pod for coffee.
I think is most likely this thing you describe with French machine is Tassimo system with coffee in thing shaped more similar to disc, round.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is fun; maybe we can get to the bottom of this....
Attached is a photo I found of Tassimo's product, but if this is all they look like they are not the donut shape I seek. From the photo these look more like the containers one finds which contain peanut butter, honey, creamcheese, etc. - round on one side but a flat base. Thank typical bagel but smaller.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing the terms "T-disc" and "pods." The pods I'm seeing, such s Tassimo's or Saeco's, are sort of donut shaped but resemble in material a teabag; they are papery and one can sense the coffee inside seeping through the paper material. I don't really know what the objects I'm thinking of are made of but they do look metallic, so they are probably more of an aluminum-foil type of material - and shiny darker colors.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I found it - or at least it's extremely similar! Attached is a photo I found of Nespreso coffee capsules. Looks like CAPSULES is the key term, here. Does anyone know this machine? Does it have the little images to determine how much of a cup would be filled? Aluminum they are, apparently.
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
This is fun; maybe we can get to the bottom of this.... Attached is a photo I found of Tassimo's product, but if this is all they look like they are not the donut shape I seek. From the photo these look more like the containers one finds which contain peanut butter, honey, creamcheese, etc. - round on one side but a flat base. Thank typical bagel but smaller.
Yes you are correct the Tassimo is in that shape. I have try much coffee system before with pod but in the end I buy simple stovetop espresso device! I think to this subject today, hope I can remember which is the more flat disc, because I remember disc such as this, just not name at the moment.
confused.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess Nespresso makes capsules the shape I recall - as posted above - and in at least one other shape - probably smaller in diameter and probably flatter on one side. I notice the individual who posted a photo on flickr is enthusiastic about his or her gift Nespresso machine and loves the colors too! The one the hotel had really had a certain elegance, like so many everyday things in Paris....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes - that is it - the commercial use version of the Nepresso system: "Grands Crus."
Thanks, everyone!
worship.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Call the hotel and ask the name/brand of the machine and coffee used.

I have see machines that use those types of coffee packets but brew a single cup of coffee, not just espresso.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyZerino