• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

letsgofire

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot since these shoes are very unpopular but does anyone know how Church's Shanghai fit? The website advises to go down a half-size and I wanted to know if this was actually the case or not?

I am normally a UK9 and I bought a UK8.5 from Farfetch last year. It’s a bit snug but I think that was the right size.

The Shanghai style have a slightly odd fit for me. It’s a low instep and the rubber? sole is rock hard.

They look cool so I deal with it.

BearStearns

Reaction score
I am normally a UK9 and I bought a UK8.5 from Farfetch last year. It’s a bit snug but I think that was the right size.

The Shanghai style have a slightly odd fit for me. It’s a low instep and the rubber? sole is rock hard.

They look cool so I deal with it.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Do you wear yours with socks or without? Also, just out of curiosity, what color/color combo did you go for?

letsgofire

Reaction score
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Do you wear yours with socks or without? Also, just out of curiosity, what color/color combo did you go for?
I have only worn thin socks. Loafer socks would work too. I don’t generally wear thick socks.

I went with a distressed brown color

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of Chetwynd in 173 last (the best last for my feet), bought from Herrings before the insane price hike. Maybe my last pair of Church's, maybe.

Those tiny white spots are excess Venetian Shoe Cream applied yesterday, they need a vigorous buff.

IMG_9959.jpeg
IMG_9957.jpeg
IMG_9956.jpeg

BearStearns

Reaction score
I was looking at a pair of Church's for sale online and two things caught my eye. First is this line running across the sole, just below the Church's stamp:
Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 4.34.33 PM.png

Second is how the inner corner of the heel block is painted black:
Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 4.39.58 PM.png

Is this the new way of marking subs? If so, Church's is getting very sly.

Webbo

Reaction score
My Church’s Ryder chukkas had horrible dirty white crepe soles. Andy at Ingmans of Chesterfield in the UK replaced the welt and then installed a light weight Vibram sole . A stunning job that has transformed them. Cannot recommend this passionate family team of craftsmen enough. Thanks guys.

IMG_7785.jpeg

bdc189a2-d8b4-4628-8fad-a71cb710ec5b.jpeg

67527c47-dcc0-42b2-ba64-57adb14f4a10.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

shoefan57

Reaction score
My Church’s Ryder chukkas had horrible dirty white crepe soles. Andy at Ingmans of Chesterfield in the UK replaced the welt and then installed a light weight Vibram sole . A stunning job that has transformed them. Cannot recommend this passionate family team of craftsmen enough. Thanks guys.

IMG_7785.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg
That is a superb piece of work. Good for Inghams. Its encouraging to see high quality repairers still exist.

BearStearns

Reaction score

IMG_7785.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg
I always forget the difference between which Ryders 1-3 has leather, crepe, or rubber outsoles.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_7785.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg

Very nice work, I own a pair of C&J Chiltern made in that sole, very comfy.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score

IMG_7785.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2077.jpeg
Good work. I've got a couple of pairs of Church's (McEntire and McFarlane) on a St Moritz that I want swapping to Dainite. I'm thinking of using Ingmans.

shoefan57

Reaction score

Doesn’t look good for Church’s, the reduction in staff numbers at such scale bodes badly. I’ve noticed an increasing number of shoes on their website no longer saying “Made in Northampton “ in the blurb. Some still do, lots do not. I wonder if they’re therefore increasingly off shoring ( possibly near shoring)?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn’t look good for Church’s, the reduction in staff numbers at such scale bodes badly. I’ve noticed an increasing number of shoes on their website no longer saying “Made in Northampton “ in the blurb. Some still do, lots do not. I wonder if they’re therefore increasingly off shoring ( possibly near shoring)?
It doesn't look good. I imagine one area where they had too many staff would be in the factory refurbishment service where they now charge a whopping £290. Who is going to pay that? I wonder if some of the more casual styles are made in Italy now alongside similar Prada models? I have a pair of rubber-soled boots that were.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaitMenza