• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Meals for College Kids

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, if I get in late from work say 9-ish and I'm starving, I do some polenta. Even quicker than pasta and equally, if not more, filling. Stir in butter, grated cheese, tuna etc and you'll feel quite sated in no time. The amount of water you need for one person takes no time to boil and so it's cheap on fuel too. If you can think ahead, soak some dried porcini in water/milk earlier in the day and then fry up and stir in to thickening polenta mix just before serving.

Sergio_C

Reaction score
Go to a Taco truck (tongue tacos are the best) or a gyrocery and maybe some terriyaki... those are always cheap. as for cooking at home try getting meats that no one wants, like oxtail. oxtails make a fabulous ragu. if you dont have alot of time just pan fry some cauliflower and garlic untill its brown and carmelized and serve with some penne parmigiano and parsley.

Doral

Reaction score
Tomatoe and Tuna Salad 1 or 2 tomatoes Small or large can of tuna in water or oil/ You can subsutute tuna with mozzarella balls if you like. Onion Olive oil Balsamic vinegar Orgeano Salt Pepper 1. Slice tomatoes and place in a bowl. 2. Open tuna and pour on top of tomatoes (you can drain off liquid if you like). 3. Add chopped onion. 4. Sprinkle on Oregano, salt and pepper to taste. 5. Pour on olive oil and vinegar. 6. Toss and serve Eat with some fresh bread and a glass of wine or you drink of choice. Very easy, good and refreshing.

metkirk

Reaction score
You guys are either very complicated about cooking or I just don't like to cook. I can't afford to follow all these recipes. I spend about $120/month for food so I guess I can share my recipe (or diet)

Here it goes:

1st week: Rice (steamed), chicken breasts with seasoned salt, fried. Ramen as snacks.
2nd week: Thin spaghetti, ground beef and tomato sauce. Ramen as snacks.

Alternate between these 2 diets. Saves me serious time and money for more important things.

samblau

Reaction score
I had a party the other night and made pita pizzas that turned out well.

Most of the ingredients came from Trader Joes.

2 packs of Pita (5 per pack) = $5
1 jar organic sauce = $2.29
1 package fresh mozz = $5
assorted veggies, onion, pepper etc. sauteed before putting on pizza

Each pita pizza made with whole wheat pita, organic sauce, fresh mozzarella and fresh vegetables costs under two dollars. They are reheatable as well.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here, but how about some things NOT to do?

Here are a couple from my own misspent youth:

- Kraft Dinner (that's Macaroni and Cheese to youse Amerks) made with Irish Whiskey because we had no milk

- triple hot-pepper pizzas

- Hot Dog Soup -- that would be a package of hot dogs cut up into a can of tomato soup

Any other horrors to share?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Lots of good suggestions here, but how about some things NOT to do?

Here are a couple from my own misspent youth:

- Kraft Dinner (that's Macaroni and Cheese to youse Amerks) made with Irish Whiskey because we had no milk

- triple hot-pepper pizzas

- Hot Dog Soup -- that would be a package of hot dogs cut up into a can of tomato soup

Any other horrors to share?

Condiment sandwich. The only thing available was some bread, and then a bottle of ketchup, maybe some mustard, and if I was lucky, some pickles or pickle relish.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1

A friend in need is a friend with Kraft Dinner

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If I buy chicken at a Whole Foods (my normal shopping place)
Well this is one of your main problems right here. Try shopping Trader Joe's, Food4Less, ethnic markets, and warehouse stores like Costco (I know it's like $50/yr but you can save that much pretty easily if you can make enough freezer space that shopping there makes sense in the first place). edit: didn't see that you probably don't have a car. I guess Costco is out. Still, others have suggested better stores to shop at, and the principles are the same: get cheap cuts of meat in large amounts, eat a lot of vegetables, rice, and beans, and cook so you have lots of leftovers.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baoerji9527
How to buy UGG sheepskin boots?Everyone who wear the UGG sheepskin boots will get many benefits. UGG boots are made to be worn barefoot as they will form to your feet and provide natural arch support. When buying a pair of sheepskin boots or ugg boots (premier brand in luxury and comfort footwear), there are many things to look for:First of all, you must make sure your sheepskin boots are actually made out of 100% authentic sheep skin. Some manufacturers use cheap substitutes such as gluing synthetic wool on to cow hide. These imitation sheepskin boots come at a cheaper price tag, but unfortunately the less expensive alternatives may cause skin irritations, encourage bacteria growth, wear down, tear quickly and noticeably less comfortable. Spamlink When buying sheepskin boots, make sure they are manufactured from quality Australian Merino wool. Australian Merino sheepskin boots are considered the best material for making sheepskin boots and it also ensures that you will be able to use them for many years. Authentic wool also allows your feet to breathe and help reduce feet sweating. Merino sheep skin is by and large thicker and much more durable than other kinds of sheep skin, which helps your boots keep their shape as well as resist wear and tear. By purchasing sheepskin boots made from merino wool and sheep skin, you will be guaranteed that not only will they be the most comfortable pair of sheepskin boots you'll ever own, but they will also last for a long time to come. I have included some links if you would like to learn more about sheepskin boots or youwant to know where can buy some UGG Boots - Australia markets the premier brand in luxury and comfort. Their many products fit into your every day life offering you products that are fashionable, comfortable, and attainable.Ugg Boots have been made and worn in Australia/China for over 50 years and "Ugg" is not associated with any brand or style of sheepskin boot. So if your looking for real australian made ugg boots look no further than Shopping Ugg See our full range of Cardy UGG Boots , Classic Short UGG Boots , Classic Tall UGG Boots , SpamlinkMetallic UGG Boots [/url], Sundance UGG Boots and now even new Mini UGG Boots then you can find all the love from australia right here.
Oh, **** YOU! Wrong forum man, even for spam. If It wasnt spam I would still want to throw you down the stairs

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chile! When I was poor, I would make this all the time, making enough to last a week. It's healthy, low fat (when made with lean beef), tastes good and can be matched with almost any kind of side. I usually make it really thick like sloppy joe so I can even use it in sandwiches. People still request I make it for parties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads