• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kelvw

Reaction score
First off, apologies for the amount of pictures I'm about to post.
Since there's no dedicated thread to Cheaney's 1 of 1 MTO, thought I'd share my experience here. I know a few gentlemen have ordered theirs and would be nice to see what designs are out there. Please do share if you have yours made.

Although the options are not infinite, there are some parameters in what you can or can't do. However it is enough to pick from, starting with the 125 last and then the choice of designs (Full Brogue, Semi Brogue, Monk, Plain/Toe cap Derby). From there, here's where the fun starts from deciding full plain colour, a spectator or even calf/suede and other small details to pick from.

Currently only available at Jeremyn Street and hopefully soon at Covent Garden. The experience has been a pleasure as the staff guides you through available options and samples. I had to go back a few times as I couldn't decide but Cheaney's staff, particularly Marc has always been very accommodating, patient and courteous.

jA7QSUy.jpg

PztYonH.jpg

X0wUNWc.jpg

qZgpmER.jpg

TOJ9fbR.jpg

I picked mine up from the Covent Garden store after 3-4 months wait. It should have been quicker but there were some delays in the factory and also Christmas but it was worth the wait. I went back and forth trying out various ideas and colours. Some were pretty bold but decided to settle on something I could wear often rather than occasionally. I may go back to the initial idea of Navy with Aubergine/Green spectators on the next pair.

Fresh out from the store in natural light

2CA2TO8.jpg

Comes in a nice big box, with magnetic latch.

H1FHIa4.jpg

NMT6QBK.jpg

Comes with lasted hand stained shoes trees as well. The shoe looks a bit too green here, I need to white balance the camera next time.

iWCt7mR.jpg

and shoe care. I believe the wax polish is Saphir, abbeyhorn? shoe horn, brushes, extra laces and polishing cloth. The shoe bags are different as well, it has a nice satin finish to it.

QSxvpQf.jpg

The green is quite difficult to capture. Here are a few more which closer to how it should look like.

QZgHYpL.jpg

a1ii3aE.jpg

xHhscFH.jpg

7de6KxG.jpg

I wanted purple lining/sock but it wasn't available so green glazed it is. I also specified copper foil in the stamp

EYMY5Ag.jpg

Personalised to your name or any other nick names to your fancy

afUoFCr.jpg

and lastly the sole. Option for full or half paint. I went for a purple sole but lean to being a bit more reddish instead.
Closed channel and beveled waist, similar to the imperial line.

vCljpXY.jpg

You could pick and choose the colour of the foil from Brown, Copper, Silver, Gold or Burnt In

DlTdDEV.jpg

Overall, I'm pleased with the finished product. Now I just got to make the first step on the asphalt.

8Cnvi8g.jpg

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Ouch. Too expensive for my budget. Do you think you would do another?

If I had that level of budget I would probably go for a Crockett and Jones MTO but by the looks of things Cheaney May have more options.

Cheers! It's £700 but may increase in price I've been told.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t you dare! Don’t you DARE apologise for posting too many pictures. You can’t have too many. I am sitting here munching on my cheese and crackers, scrolling happily through all these fine images. A young boy at heart, I love pictures. Lovely shoes by the way. :)

kelvw

Reaction score
Haha thank you! Glad you enjoyed the photos. Pictures doesn't justify the pleasure of having the shoes in hand :)

I'd love to see what other mto designs are out there as well.
I'm really tempted to have another pair but obviously not so soon. Personally I like Cheaneys as they fit me well and they always have something exciting.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit definitely first but it does compete with C&J and I think Cheaney May find that a tall competitor. AS’ HG line was also around that price but couldn’t really get much traction. Hopefully Cheaney works out to provide more options in the market.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, MTO is based on existing lasts with No Last Modification,
correct? I usually require an "h" width. Some "g"'s work.
I would have to actually try on the RTW example(s) in the Store,
which I did on my last trip to the UK a year ago. That eliminated
several "g" models from C &J, Church, and L.Reiter that I had my eye on.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaney and Tricker's tend to have generous lasts. Both do MTO too. We don't hear about it more but I think Tricker's price is pretty competitive. No bells, whistles, or fiddle waist but they make sturdy shoes.

kelvw

Reaction score
So, MTO is based on existing lasts with No Last Modification,
correct? I usually require an "h" width. Some "g"'s work.
I would have to actually try on the RTW example(s) in the Store,
which I did on my last trip to the UK a year ago. That eliminated
several "g" models from C &J, Church, and L.Reiter that I had my eye on.

The 1 of 1 MTO is based on the 125 last, not sure if they have wider/narrower fit. Cheaney's Covent Garden store will soon have options for the customisation and not just at Jermyn Street.
I guess Cheaney should promote their MTO program more, there is not much information on the website except for a few write ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads