• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really nice shade of green!

Thank you. Green has always been my favourite colour since I was a child. Now I also like many other colours, but green still has a prominent place in my wardrobe. I have a huge palette in green shades in my knitwear collection, from pistachio to seaweed, through landscape, rosemary, verdigris, watercress, foliage...

ben5494

Reaction score
There seem to be different label for different era with some brand like Ballantyne.
Look!
View attachment 1524207 View attachment 1524208

There are many way to check.
Me use old trade mark register
Me use old men to tell me many many thing
Me use internet to look up seller to see what they say
Me use many many way to cross check.
There are many many label for each decade,
and each label seem to change for new decade.
1950's Ballantyne sellers also use BALLANTYNE such as this,
and it match the all capital on trade mark register.
View attachment 1524215
Other rare 1950s Ballantyne labels also match the trade mark register.
Other 1950's Ballantyne seem to use brown dragon,
numerous seller sell the brown dragon as 1950's
View attachment 1524226

Ballantyne for Magnin and co also use the brown dragon which many sold for 1950's.
Lot of changes happen to Magnin after 1960's so 1950's magnin might be right.
View attachment 1524243

1960's Ballantyne have some different label and hard to find.
Lucky buyer find this rare 1960's label.
It have red dragon instead of blue dragon.
View attachment 1524225

1970's sellers and old men tell me the Ballantyne label look like this,
and it match trade mark register.
View attachment 1524216
Trade mark register show no label after 1970's era,
but old man and many seller say this is 80's label for Ballantyne,
it go back to no dragon again.
View attachment 1524217

Me not sure about 1990's label,
but it could be this

View attachment 1524223

2000 - 2010 use similar label ?
me not find it

2010 to end of Ballantyne in 2012 use many like this:
it original Ballantyne with capital letter again.
View attachment 1524224

Me avoid the Ballantyne cashmere after 1980's,
it not very good.

Remember the brown dragon and the red dragon and the blue dragon and no dragon.
It all mean something.
Hello,

I have the impression that labels with the blue dragon but without the sizes and the materials were used for sweaters in the 90s or even 2000. Do you have any information on this subject ?

Attachments

• Ballantyne 1.jpg
    Ballantyne 1.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 313

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the impression that labels with the blue dragon but without the sizes and the materials were used for sweaters in the 90s or even 2000. Do you have any information on this subject ?
I have never seen a ‘vintage’ Ballantyne with that label - 90s was the more classic blue dragon one at the beginning and then the gold B in a blue square logo.

That logo above is a modern one.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Thank you. Green has always been my favourite colour since I was a child. Now I also like many other colours, but green still has a prominent place in my wardrobe. I have a huge palette in green shades in my knitwear collection, from pistachio to seaweed, through landscape, rosemary, verdigris, watercress, foliage...
Same here. You can never be too rich or too green...

Iskander

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the cashmere knits (crewneck or "rugby" polo) offered by Permanent Style? I assume they are Lockie with some fit adjustments. I'm interested because it seems they have lengthened the arms from the stock model, which are a problem for me at times.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the cashmere knits (crewneck or "rugby" polo) offered by Permanent Style? I assume they are Lockie with some fit adjustments. I'm interested because it seems they have lengthened the arms from the stock model, which are a problem for me at times.

I have the Cashmere Rugby and, as I reported, had to size down from M to S, as the fit was too roomy for my taste. Even making so, I have no problem with the sleeves length (and I have pretty long arms). If you go for your standard size, you'll have certainly no issues at all.

garigo

Reaction score
I actually recommend sizing up, not down. I went with an XL and my usual William Lockie size is 42. I think the style looks best that way. As for the sleeves, I would say the length is pretty standard.

Iskander

Reaction score
I have the Cashmere Rugby and, as I reported, had to size down from M to S, as the fit was too roomy for my taste. Even making so, I have no problem with the sleeves length (and I have pretty long arms). If you go for your standard size, you'll have certainly no issues at all.
That's interesting since Simon actually says the rugby fits small

I actually recommend sizing up, not down. I went with an XL and my usual William Lockie size is 42. I think the style looks best that way. As for the sleeves, I would say the length is pretty standard.
Was this for the rugby? I was looking more at the crewneck, but interested in the rugby as well. My typical William Lockie size is 44 so I was thinking large for the crewneck and XL for the rugby, but maybe I should rethink that.

happydayz1

Reaction score
The crewneck is a WL oxton with slightly longer sleeves and a standard cuff. Go your usual WL size. Simon describes it as a 2 ply, but it is a 1 ply by WL standards.

The size labelling on the rugby is for whatever reason one size off usual WL sizing, hence why Simon says it fits small so logically one would go up one size (eg L/44 for a usual WL M/42). However, as DorianGreen has mentioned, if you went your true WL size (so sized up in line with Simon’s recommendation) it does fit bigger / more full than an Oxton would fit, mostly due to the extra ply and density. It therefore becomes a question of personal preference. I think the heavier rugby shirt in this instance lends itself well to a full fit but am sure either would work.

garigo

Reaction score
That's interesting since Simon actually says the rugby fits small

Was this for the rugby? I was looking more at the crewneck, but interested in the rugby as well. My typical William Lockie size is 44 so I was thinking large for the crewneck and XL for the rugby, but maybe I should rethink that.
Yes that’s for the rugby. I tried both L and XL before purchasing, so I’m pretty sure about my choice.

Iskander

Reaction score
Yes that’s for the rugby. I tried both L and XL before purchasing, so I’m pretty sure about my choice.
Thanks! Did you happen to try on the crewneck as well? I spoke to customer service and they said it is more tapered than the stock model (the Oxton, I'm assuming) so now I'm wondering about sizing for that as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads