• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

HotDilf

Reaction score
Every year LV releases a handful of these: 2 ply/18 gauge, saddle shoulders, Scottish turn-cuffs. :)

IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg

SconesnOolong

Reaction score
Every year LV releases a handful of these: 2 ply/18 gauge, saddle shoulders, Scottish turn-cuffs. :)

View attachment 2136053
View attachment 2136055
Oh wow! if you don’t mind me asking, how much was it?
Also, does the 20% vicuña feel significantly different compared to pure cashmere? I assume LV would source from LP, same parent company after all, what made you choose a vicuña blend from LV as opposed to LP?

I’ve only ever bought pure cashmere or pure vicuña, i’m curious to see if blends are worth it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! if you don’t mind me asking, how much was it?
Also, does the 20% vicuña feel significantly different compared to pure cashmere? I assume LV would source from LP, same parent company after all, what made you choose a vicuña blend from LV as opposed to LP?

I’ve only ever bought pure cashmere or pure vicuña, i’m curious to see if blends are worth it.

My same reflections: why add 20% vicuna? I understand that adding some wool or silk would low the material costs and possibly increase strength and durability, but what's the purpose of adding a more precious fibre, other than make the garment even more expensive, whith probably no relevant difference in term of feeling.

I also would ever choose pure cashmere and pure vicuna.

By the way, Archibald of London has this one reduced from €3.516 to €2.130.

Screenshot (1194).png

https://www.archibaldlondon.com/de/...our=natural-brown-vicuna&casualjackets-size=m

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know they are all reputable. I’m asking for actual knowledge/experience comparing their quality. Put looks and style aside.

I have a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from Lockie, Laing, Johnstons, and Hawick. I’ve heard it said that Begg is the “best” of the current Scottish cashmere makers, but believe Scott & Charters (whom they own) makes all their stuff.

In general, Cucinelli seems to fit me the best, but the prices can be eye watering. Also, they almost never do a saddle shoulder. Loro Piana tends to fit less well—everything seems to be cut with a blousy torso to accommodate fat old guys.
Lmao!

Foo, old world Johnstone’s is a world of its own. Yet a forgotten world.

As you wife is a Chanel fan it is coincidental that Barrie (Chanel owned and supplier), is one of the finest contributors to male cashmere as is BC.
Given nearly most of my casual cashmere is BC, the special pieces are from Barrie.
Lockie is great, too, but it is a different category.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My same reflections: why add 20% vicuna? I understand that adding some wool or silk would low the material costs and possibly increase strength and durability, but what's the purpose of adding a more precious fibre, other than make the garment even more expensive, whith probably no relevant difference in term of feeling.

I also would ever choose pure cashmere and pure vicuna.

By the way, Archibald of London has this one reduced from €3.516 to €2.130.

View attachment 2136557

https://www.archibaldlondon.com/de/...our=natural-brown-vicuna&casualjackets-size=m
We live in a luxury world, i didn’t buy a Bentley to get the same utility from a Mini….

elysiumfield

Reaction score
I can't say about LV's offering, nor a knitted blend, but in a weaved fabric the hand feeling is significantly improved by adding 20% vicuna to cashmere. So much so that I think 80% cashmere + 20% vicuna is the sweet spot considering price vs what you get. The addition of vicuna makes the fabric much more smooth. Going 100% is of course nice for purist and if you have the money. What I don't understand is when factories blending in say only 2% vicuna.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live in a luxury world, i didn’t buy a Bentley to get the same utility from a Mini….

Sorry, don't understand, would you like to elaborate?

My thought is that it's pretty senseless to add some vicuna to cashmere, as the latter is already a luxury material with very high prices. So, adding vicuna will be just a commercial move to increase the price, but at this point I would go for pure vicuna, given I can afford it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say about LV's offering, nor a knitted blend, but in a weaved fabric the hand feeling is significantly improved by adding 20% vicuna to cashmere. So much so that I think 80% cashmere + 20% vicuna is the sweet spot considering price vs what you get. The addition of vicuna makes the fabric much more smooth. Going 100% is of course nice for purist and if you have the money. What I don't understand is when factories blending in say only 2% vicuna.

Haven't had a direct experience, but still don't think that it's worth it. As I said, if I can afford that LV jumper, I probably will afford a pure vicuna one too.

happydayz1

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Lockie made Nis 3ply cashmere model offered by Fransboone and can comment on the fit? Thanks

elysiumfield

Reaction score
Haven't had a direct experience, but still don't think that it's worth it. As I said, if I can afford that LV jumper, I probably will afford a pure vicuna one too.
The LV name comes at a premium of course. But if you get a 20% vicuna scarf from Piacenza for instance, it's priced just around 350€. A pure vicuna scarf of the same size is 1600€ at least (or significantly more expensive from LP). The price difference is huge between 20% vicuna and 100%.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adagio42