• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Japanese knits, does anybody know who the best Japanese manufacturers are?

Don't know, but Japan is not among the traditional countries for sourcing quality knits. I wouldn't look beyond UK (mainly Scotland) and Italy.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know, but Japan is not among the traditional countries for sourcing quality knits. I wouldn't look beyond UK (mainly Scotland) and Italy.

hm ? a lot of the classic 20th century machinery has ended up in japan over the past decades , including the loopwheel knitting machines .

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
hm ? a lot of the classic 20th century machinery has ended up in japan over the past decades , including the loopwheel knitting machines .
Not to mention most mills around the world, including Scotland and Italy, use Shima Seiki machines...
I have a lambswool cardigan from OmniGod. I don't know who made it (are they a manufacturer or just a brand?), but it seems as well-made and durable as my Scottish-made pieces.

SLieber967

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on a cabled cashmere in a dark green? Was trying to find a Lockie Chirnside but lost the link; I believe their colors are called 'bottle' and 'holly' ?

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on a cabled cashmere in a dark green? Was trying to find a Lockie Chirnside but lost the link; I believe their colors are called 'bottle' and 'holly' ?
This WL Chirnside dark green are you refering ?
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 09.12.52.png
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 09.13.02.png

SLieber967

Reaction score
ah, I saw the serpentine as they call it, but could have sworn I had seen a deeper green. Maybe Scott and charters, oh well

Johnny80

Reaction score
Also different ones , one in dark green/blue'ish, one in natural beige , and
Image 2022-12-23 at 15.50.48.jpeg
Image 2022-12-23 at 15.54.56.jpeg
one in green but not as dark since its moulinè with beige combo braids
2022-12-30 at 09.18.37.png

2022-12-30 at 09.17.07.png
2022-12-30 at 09.17.45.png
2022-12-30 at 09.18.22.png

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in October 2023 is finished or you just getting started? it would be nice if its done by the winter/Christmas. Whats your fabric weight ? what colour? solid colour ?

I am contemplating to get started in early October 2023, as I missed a slot in the previous Fall and now it's too late for the current season, especially given that we still have pre-Covid garments to be completed.

It is more or less like the one in the attached image, solid black, at the very much Italian cashmere overcoating weight of 480glm.

1672390066465.png

Best,

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you checked with William Lockie, or a WL vendor if the Bottle can be done as a Chirnside MTO?

Best,

Dimitris

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are many shades of dark green available at William Lockie, and it seems that they can do each style in whichever colour. I especially like more muted tones, like Seaweed and Loden Mix, but you seem more interested to what is usually called bottle green and, yes, those shades are called Bottle and Holly.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, if our fellow @SLieber967 contemplates a William Lockie cable-knit crewneck sweater in 100% Super Geelong, then, yes, the dark green is "Holly" all right.

If, on the other hand, as in his original post, he contemplates the said make-up in 100% Cashmere, then the same color is "Bottle".

I cannot say if there is even an indistinguishable difference between these colors ("Holly" & "Bottle"), as the dye may produce a different outcome to different materials.

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads