• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
By the way, inexplicable to me that they would add synthetic fibres, even in small amounts. I've also seen cashmere with polyamide and regenerated cashmere, all at the usual high prices (to me this is not attractive at all, but it would make some sense, if they would offer those things at lower prices).
As far as I know, adding synthetics to the mix is usually done in the case of recycled cashmere (which incidentally is becoming quite popular).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
touch of synthetic is typically used as a binder , for yarn durability

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Oversized Agnona

100% cashmere, there's no ply count indicated, the hand is leaps and bounds beyond anything I've ever seen from LP and BC

Attachments

• A4n3c4FS.jpg
    A4n3c4FS.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 9iMnnzf8.jpg
    9iMnnzf8.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 181
  • VVaPBJHs.jpg
    VVaPBJHs.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 178
  • dMDmyrYf.jpg
    dMDmyrYf.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 188

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oversized Agnona

100% cashmere, there's no ply count indicated, the hand is leaps and bounds beyond anything I've ever seen from LP and BC

Great piece of knitwear, congratulations! Not a fan of the drop shoulders, but it fits you very well. I would say at least 8ply, but maybe you could enquire.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Great piece of knitwear, congratulations! Not a fan of the drop shoulders, but it fits you very well. I would say at least 8ply, but maybe you could enquire.

Thank you

I'm on it and will report back should I find out

while the sleeves are a tad too long, it's meant to fit in this oversized way with the dropping shoulders, it's the same size as my other knitwear, either way, I would not get my head through a smaller opening anyway 😂

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Mc George shawl collar jumper came in.

View attachment 1854630 View attachment 1854631 View attachment 1854632

Three plies geelong wool, 50 size, 53 cm pit to pit, made in Scotland.

Very happy with it, good fit and lovely material, substantial and consistent, dry but voluptuous touch.

Dear @DorianGreen,

I am fond of everything about this piece of knitwear: its color (dark natural or relevant?), design, aesthetics, i.e. how plush and robust it seems, even from the screen!

Moreover, I very much like that we've branched-out of the Thread's title, and "escaped" from its monothematic devotion to cashmere! At first, my own humble, imminent contribution will be pivoting around Geelong Lambswool as well.

Enjoy it in health my friend, and do share the secret of its provenance!

Best,

Dimitris

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @DorianGreen,

I am fond of everything about this piece of knitwear: its color (dark natural or relevant?), design, aesthetics, i.e. how plush and robust it seems, even from the screen!

Moreover, I very much like that we've branched-out of the Thread's title, and "escaped" from its monothematic devotion to cashmere! At first, my own humble, imminent contribution will be pivoting around Geelong Lambswool as well.

Enjoy it in health my friend, and do share the secret of its provenance!

Best,

Dimitris

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you very much for your kind words!
Yes, I think that in this thread we could speak about anything related to knitwear.
I wish you all the best in building your own knit collection!

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
not to reheat the topic, but regarding the discussion around Locke's fit, here's a side-by-side comparison of Johnston's (3ply cashmere, blue) vs. Locke (camelhair, beige), both "40

The WL armhole sits about 1 1/2 inch lower than the JoE's, and the sleeve is significantly wider in circumference

sidenote - the JoE left some blu stains on the towel during the drying period - used Clothes Doctor Eco Wash No 3 for Cashmere and Wool, first wash

Attachments

• image3(1).jpeg
    image3(1).jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image1(2).jpeg
    image1(2).jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Johnstons blue 2.jpg
    Johnstons blue 2.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image2(2).jpeg
    image2(2).jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 108

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to reheat the topic, but regarding the discussion around Locke's fit, here's a side-by-side comparison of Johnston's (3ply cashmere, blue) vs. Locke (camelhair, beige), both "40

The WL armhole sits about 1 1/2 inch lower than the JoE's, and the sleeve is significantly wider in circumference

sidenote - the JoE left some blu stains on the towel during the drying period - used Clothes Doctor Eco Wash No 3 for Cashmere and Wool, first wash

Yes, the Lockie jumper has clearly a looser fitting, overall and especially as regard of the armhole. It is a particular feature for their camelhair garments, as I see, as opposed to the cashmere ones: I think that they possibly updated the fit for the cashmere and not yet, as a small production, for the camel knitwear. I can also figure that the camel customers are possibly older and more traditionalist, preferring that more indulgent fit.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

Well, all the above correct points confirm my predetermined "initiation" with the WL's offerings via the sleeveless route, since there are no Cashmere garments planned for my very first acquisitions.

Mind you that the very first one is estimated to cost me more than its equivalent cardigan w/ sleeves; c'est la vie!

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited:

msimon

Reaction score

Oh I like that, might have to invest in my first vneck. That camel begs for a blue stripped oxford.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the camel fits bad but it’s rather classic in fit. Personally, I’m very indulgent with knitwear when it comes to fit and extremely demanding when it comes to shoes and shirts.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think there are any other ways to put it.. that camel sweater’s fit is just awful.

Of course, to each his own: I also don't find that fit best, as the poster is rather athletic/slim, but awful is certainly overdone. Moreover on an older wearer with some pounds in excess it could be the right thing, hiding those weight issues.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellerodrigue