• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere care?

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
I have a few other questions concerning the care of cashmere sweaters:

1. How many times can an UNSTAINED sweater be worn before it is needs to be washed? I cannot imagine people wearing a sweater many times without washing it. It is just not very fresh. Is smell the only criterion?

2. Putting a worn sweater in the closet is usually not advised because it will attract moths. Where should the sweater be stored after it has been worn (so it will be worn again before getting washed)? Laying it somewhere flat outside the closet will only help to accumulate dust.

3. How should I get rid off dust and other small particles that like to get into the fabric? By the way, this question applies to all woolen sweaters. Suits can easily be brushed with a Kent Brush for example, but the same procedure is clearly not suitable for sweaters.

1. If you wear the sweater by itself with no shirt or t-shirt under it, obviously it'll need more frequent washing. If you wear it over a shirt, and practice normal hygiene (bathe regularly and use antiperspirant), you should easily be able to wear it several times or more between washings.

2. Enclosed storage is best. A cedar chest, sweater box, even a cheap plastic or nylon mesh sweater bag is fine. Adults moths of nearly all moth species do not eat cashmere, they eat food particles that are on, or have soaked into cashmere. So the most important thing is to keep food spills off your sweaters, and clean up ASAP any spills that do happen.

3. Hold the sweater at one end and give it a few vigorous shakes, like you shake out sand from a beach towel. Turn the sweater around, hold it by the other end and repeat. This will dislodge dust and most other small particles.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few other questions concerning the care of cashmere sweaters:

1. How many times can an UNSTAINED sweater be worn before it is needs to be washed? I cannot imagine people wearing a sweater many times without washing it. It is just not very fresh. Is smell the only criterion?

I have many cashmere (and wool) sweaters that are a few years old and have never been washed. I always wear them with a shirt underneath and they look fine and don't smell.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
they look fine and don't smell.

Sure, that's because it's your own scent. But what are others saying?
sneaky2.gif

pendragon

Reaction score
I just washed four different cashmere sweaters, from Macy's, Costco, Facionable & Borrelli.

I put them in the machine on a cold / delicate cycle, and then layed them flat on a towel to dry. All came out fine. No loss of color, no pilling, no shrinkage. And they all felt nicer after washing than before. YMMV.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me piggyback this thread.

I had read here, from some retailer no less, that the best way to clean a cashmere sweater was not to dry clean, but to put it in a pillow case, then tie the case off, so that when washed, the sweater would not wrap itself around the shaft of the washing machine and stretch out, then mesh dry it. I did this once, and I thought it was fine.

I gave this advice to a friend once and he said he didn't like the feeling of it and would dryclean next time. I never had cashmere after dry cleaning, but I imagine it would make the fibers more brittle. Is there a clear list of pros/cons to washing/dry cleaning? Maybe it comes down to a preference of minimal pilling Vs a bit of brittleness?

foto010101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
1. If you wear the sweater by itself with no shirt or t-shirt under it, obviously it'll need more frequent washing. If you wear it over a shirt, and practice normal hygiene (bathe regularly and use antiperspirant), you should easily be able to wear it several times or more between washings. 2. Enclosed storage is best. A cedar chest, sweater box, even a cheap plastic or nylon mesh sweater bag is fine. Adults moths of nearly all moth species do not eat cashmere, they eat food particles that are on, or have soaked into cashmere. So the most important thing is to keep food spills off your sweaters, and clean up ASAP any spills that do happen.
Thanks for your answers. With respect to your answers: 1. I do wear T-shirts, but when the sweater comes in contact with the sweaty armpit areas of the T-shirt the sweater still gets affected, doesn't it? Could this be a problem? 2. So it is ok to put your worn sweater back into the closet if one uses a sweater box by Woodlore for example? http://woodlore.com/mm5/images/shirt_sweater.jpg

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Let me piggyback this thread.

I had read here, from some retailer no less, that the best way to clean a cashmere sweater was not to dry clean, but to put it in a pillow case, then tie the case off, so that when washed, the sweater would not wrap itself around the shaft of the washing machine and stretch out, then mesh dry it. I did this once, and I thought it was fine.

I gave this advice to a friend once and he said he didn't like the feeling of it and would dryclean next time. I never had cashmere after dry cleaning, but I imagine it would make the fibers more brittle. Is there a clear list of pros/cons to washing/dry cleaning? Maybe it comes down to a preference of minimal pilling Vs a bit of brittleness?

Handwashing is almost always preferable to dry cleaning. The two main exceptions are for very cheap and the absolute finest cashmere, both of which often cannot handle any exposure to water without sustaining damage. Dry cleaning is the only option in these cases. Also, if a sweater is shedding badly, dry cleaning will minimize the problem while handwashing causes more wear on the fibers and will make it worse.

The most important tip when dry cleaning is to make sure the company doing the work uses clean fluid. If it's dirty, the result will be a shiny, stiff (what you call brittle), smelly, sometimes gummy mess. I've had this happen with both cashmere sweaters and silk ties. For this reason, find a cleaner who does their own work in-house and doesn't farm it out to others. This is easier said than done these days, as most dry cleaners today ship their work to centralized facilities operated by minimum wage flunkies who don't care about your expensive clothing.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.

With respect to your answers:

1. I do wear T-shirts, but when the sweater comes in contact with the sweaty armpit areas of the T-shirt the sweater still gets affected, doesn't it? Could this be a problem?

2. So it is ok to put your worn sweater back into the closet if one uses a sweater box by Woodlore for example?

http://woodlore.com/mm5/images/shirt_sweater.jpg

1. If you use an antiperspirant and still have sweaty armpits, you need to find a stronger antiperspirant.

2. No, I was referring to a box with a lid or a zippered sweater bag. Anything that's fully enclosed.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Rule #1: Don't let moths in the house

I also keep a few predators around to keep the moth population down. Spiders and a few scorpions normally do the trick.

+1 on not letting Moths in the Home.
I post a warning on the Front door and also keep a 12 gauge close by for the Moth's that cannot/willnot read the warning.

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Handwashing is almost always preferable to dry cleaning. The two main exceptions are for very cheap and the absolute finest cashmere, both of which often cannot handle any exposure to water without sustaining damage.

So if you bought a very expensive piece of cashmere how do you know whether it is of "very nice, should be handwashed" grade or "absolute finest, must be drycleaned" grade?

And can anyone advise me: I have a sweater that is 85% cotton and 15% cashmere, with no washing instructions. Will it be safe to wash regularly with my other cottons? And would it be possible to shrink it in the dryer without f@^$#ing up the fabric? It's a little large on me . . . .

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never take a precious sweater to a dry cleaner.

use woolite or hair shampoo, wash by hand, lay flat to dry. so simple.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by malefic
So if you bought a very expensive piece of cashmere how do you know whether it is of "very nice, should be handwashed" grade or "absolute finest, must be drycleaned" grade?

Pieces in that second category are easily identifiable. I used the term "absolute finest" literally, to refer to the cashmere's fiber width. These garments are often loosely knit, and look extremely fragile. They will also be labeled "dry clean only", although that can mean several different things depending on manufacturer and price.

Originally Posted by malefic
And can anyone advise me: I have a sweater that is 85% cotton and 15% cashmere, with no washing instructions. Will it be safe to wash regularly with my other cottons? And would it be possible to shrink it in the dryer without f@^$#ing up the fabric? It's a little large on me . . . .

Cashmere shrinks far more and much faster than cotton when exposed to direct heat. If possible, ask the manufacturer or retailer about trying to shrink your sweater in a dryer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads