• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Detailing

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd best get the bird and aphid stuff off tonight. Since I don't have a garage or carport, should I use a car cover? Will this make me a bullseye for vandalism?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Few more questions:

How to get rid of caked on bird crap?

Sometimes a clay bar and a little elbow grease is enough to take it off. As for a buffer, be sure it's a Porter random orbital one.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Here's your list,

-p21s bodyword shampoo (better yet go to a bmw dealership and buy the bottle in the same shape, it's the same stuff but cheaper, don't skimp on shampoo arguably the most important step)

-sheepskin wash mitt (wash in straight lines not circles)

-invest in a nice big mf waffle weave drying towel or a nice plush cotton towel to dry

-you can just use the car wash soap that's left in the bucket AT THE END of a wash and a separate cloth to clean the wheels (never use the same item you use for the paint)

-for wax p21s wax is hard to beat and among the best

That is as barebones as it gets. Another good site and great my (my friend Nick) is www.detailersparadise.com. He will be more than happy to go over what you need to do over the phone without trying to sell you anything. I can pm you my personal washing technique just so your head can hurt more but it is a comprehensive guide that has changed little.

I agree with the above and Nick is a good guy. Also visit Ranney Pak at www.pakshak.com for the best microfibers on the planet.

I also recommend a wheel wax if you have nice alloy wheels. Zaino All In One is really good for that.

If you really want to step up your game, try using Zaino polymer sealants which I find to be the most durable sealants on the market and do better in winter than a carnauba wax like P21S. Their site is www.zainostore.com

turboman808

Reaction score
I wash and detail cars in the summer. I do it for fun but don't consider myself a expert. I just started learning about polishing with a portercable.

Ultimately I think the goal is to get the car clean without scratching it. Every time you touch the paint you are risking scratches.

Waxing the goal is to protect the finish.

The best results for washing I have found.

1. Use a foam gun first to pull dirt away from the car.

2. 2 bucket method. One with soap and one for rinsing.

I would recommend Meguirs Gold class soap. It's a very mild and PH balanced soap. Not to mention it's on every store shelf in the country. I prefer to recommend over the counter stuff to people. Next I like using a thick microfiber sponge. Sheeepskin wash mits are great but you will not find a real sheepskin wash mit at the store. You will have to order online. But use something plush so that it can lift dirt away and not scratch the car.

3. get lots of soap and water on the microfiber sponge. start at teh top of the car and work your way down. Don't ever go up. Use strokes in a forward and back motion going from the front to the back of the car. Making circles will give you those spider web scratches. Remember to rinse your sponge often.

4. Rinse your carwith a gentle shower of water. No powerful jets. Those jets take wax right off the car.

4. For drying the best method I have found is using a leaf blower. You can get into all the cracks and crevices and really get the car dry inside and out. You will need a towel to get the rest. Waffle weave microfiber towels work best and don't rub with them, just pat the car down.

After all that if you also waxed the car properly your car will look fantastic. Also your wheels are no different then the rest of the car. There is no reason to use harsh chemicals on them. Just need to clean them more often and clay and wax them just like the rest of the car.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of detailing clay. If you havn't used it before, it is just amazing the differance it can make on a car that hasn't been well treated.

I spent a summer at a car dealership doing some detailing and I also did a lot of my own hand washing and waxing. Alas, in college I have been unable to put these skills to use (though I have waxed a few of my bicycles to make them look good and keep the snow from sticking).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Detailing clay is very helpful but a Porter Cable 7336 plus 3M pads and a good polish like Z-PC is even better.
teacha.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
File this under: Another habit I don't need.

turboman808

Reaction score
Unless I am just incedibly lazy I will always clay before I touch a porter cable.

I am going to be helping a friend with his 40 year old porsche after the holidays. I don't expect to get the paint back to new it's old an d really bad.

I tested a few products on the trunk and hood to see how it reacted. Be my first car ever with a one stage paint job. I am very excited about this. Just going thru products online trying to come up with my best choices. I think I will use this as a chance to purchase some zaino products.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Unless I am just incedibly lazy I will always clay before I touch a porter cable.

I am going to be helping a friend with his 40 year old porsche after the holidays. I don't expect to get the paint back to new it's old an d really bad.

I tested a few products on the trunk and hood to see how it reacted. Be my first car ever with a one stage paint job. I am very excited about this. Just going thru products online trying to come up with my best choices. I think I will use this as a chance to purchase some zaino products.

I always clay before I polish as well Turbo but I want viewers here to understand that claying alone is often of limited value in my experience.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'd best get the bird and aphid stuff off tonight. Since I don't have a garage or carport, should I use a car cover? Will this make me a bullseye for vandalism?

I would not recommend using a car cover if your car sits outside. The elements and/or temperature changes will cause moisture to be trapped between the cover and the paint, which is not good. Plus you are likely to cause more damage to the paint by fitting the cover to a dirty (or less than freshly washed) car.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Clay mars paint so I always follow with polish. You should only do it as often as needed, however.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't keep my cars long enough to worry about any of this crap. lol.
A touchless car was is good enough for me.

turboman808

Reaction score
I agree car covers outside are a really bad idea. Wind will blow dirt up under the cover then sit there and get rubbed in for months. As me how I know
frown.gif
I clay my daily drivers about 4 times a year. Polish once. I don't worry to much about getting ever single scratch out on a daily driver. Just will be back on a few months anyways. No way to ever have a pefect daily driver. Just got to let it go sometimes My garage queens I hardly have to touch. Keep them out of rain. I would guess I only wash them twice a year. Detail spray and dusters are a must. I like to use griots detail spray first since it seems to pull away dirt from the car. Unfortunately it streaks so I follow it up with maguirs detail spray. If you don't give a **** about your cars and get a enw one every 3 years then this stuff obviously doesn't matter. I would never take any of my cars to a car wash. The touchless is just as bad as the regular. Both damage paint. Touchless is a acid that eats away all the dirt and then uses a neutrualizer to stop the process. Since these things are not manned what happens if the neautualizer isn't spraying properly or the new guy at the car wash fills it wrong? I should take pictures of my landlords BMW that he takes to the touchless car wash. Looking at his finish it's really hazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads