• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can theses AEs be repaired?

newb89

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy this newish strawfuts but as you can see there is damage on the mesh. The seller claims it is a cheap/easy fix, but he may just be trying to sell me. So I am asking for your opinion and help, can these be repaired and if so how much would it approximately cost? Thank you much.

The picture of the damage is on the last picture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250882947825

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone got them for $25. Can't go wrong for that price. Since they were black anyway anyone with a needle and thread could have patched those up good enough.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect you could darn it like you might (or might have, when people still cared enough to do such things) a sock. Weave back and forth, and create a rough patch. It wouldn't look like new, but for that price I would be tempted to sew it up and call it patina. Especially with how cool that shoe is in general.

Also, his mention of a mark to prevent retail return makes me think those are seconds, which would mark the first time I've heard about a significant defect on a pair of AE seconds from this forum.

Last edited:

newb89

Reaction score
Well thanks for the insight fellas. Would these shoes be too informal for job interviews?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well thanks for the insight fellas. Would these shoes be too informal for job interviews?

Inappropriate for a job interview. A Cap Toe Balmoral is what you want for an interview, whatever the manufacturer.
A pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (or an equivalent or better) are best suited for interviews (and many other dressy occasions as well).
Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

kaws N effect

Reaction score
Hardly any employer or interviewer will take note on what you wear. Just show up looking presentable. People wear the same used dress shoes to work everyday. Like the above post mentioned, shoes are dark to be noticeable and the little rip can be fixed with a needle and thread. I wouldnt put much stress. Nice steal (i assume its you were the winner of the auction)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads