• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy or pass? Flat Head Leather tote

jeff8770

Reaction score
So I've recently come across a used leather tote bag from The Flat Head for around $360 USD and I'd like like to hear some thoughts.

The only mention of this bag I found anywhere was from the link below, and that was for the women's version of this bag.
https://ithot123.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-flat-head-deerskin-x-horsehide.html

Seems to me that the black part is deer, and the brown/red parts are horse? Could be the other way around and I wouldn't know. But I've heard good things about the flat head and I doubt I'd find quality to be an issue.

The only major issue I can see are the large handles which personally seem a bit too catchy or even feminine especially as I don't intend to carry it by the handles often despite the intentions behind them.

I'm also not sure if wearing these with say t shirt and jeans would look good at all. It measures 15 inches across and i imagine the proportions would look quite off. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_2c333dfe_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_2c333dfe_progressive.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 25
  • _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_18ab3c6d_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_18ab3c6d_progressive.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 25
  • _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446164_bcf53bf7_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446164_bcf53bf7_progressive.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 24
  • _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446165_0b923f19_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446165_0b923f19_progressive.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 31
  • _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446165_2f2f6d17_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446165_2f2f6d17_progressive.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 40
  • _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_824a0dd0_progressive.jpg
    _the_flat_head_leather_tote_ba_1614446163_824a0dd0_progressive.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 116

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The handles make the bag look too feminine IMO. A man's bag should have shorter (preferably single) or no handles. This looks too much like a purse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not into the idea of that bag with just t-shirt and jeans.

Do you normally wear just a t-shirt with jeans, or do you have certain jackets that you rely on?

If you want a workwear styled leather bag, Vanson has suede totes for like $150.

jeff8770

Reaction score
I'm just thinking of getting a leather bag that would fit a 14inch laptop and just a couple books/notepads. Nothing too fancy. I actually don't prefer totes both because i don't want to carry it with my hands and also because they'll look a bit weird on me as i'm a fairly messy/casual sort, I don't wear suits.

A messenger/crossbody type in black/dark brown would probably suit that need and not stand out too much while looking quite sleek at the same time. The weater here is just too hot for large coats/jackets except for a couple months a year

I'm somehow reminded of the reporter from the bourne ultimatum ... That's probably as fancy as i'd get

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302_163332.png
    Screenshot_20220302_163332.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 107

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm just thinking of getting a leather bag that would fit a 14inch laptop and just a couple books/notepads. Nothing too fancy. I actually don't prefer totes both because i don't want to carry it with my hands and also because they'll look a bit weird on me as i'm a fairly messy/casual sort, I don't wear suits.

A messenger/crossbody type in black/dark brown would probably suit that need and not stand out too much while looking quite sleek at the same time. The weater here is just too hot for large coats/jackets except for a couple months a year

I'm somehow reminded of the reporter from the bourne ultimatum ... That's probably as fancy as i'd get

That Flat Head doesn't come off as sleek to me.

Given how you dress, I would do a Filson 256. The style is a little generic, but I think it would suit how you dress better than that leather bag. It has a shoulder strap so you don't have to carry it with your hands.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on Filson: quality and fits what you are looking for. They have multiple options depending on the style you want.

jeff8770

Reaction score
Yup thanks guys that was quite helpful. I agree on everything you said and yeah, as nice as that bag is, it just wouldn't for me. The filson bags seem quite nice and I'll probably pick one up when they're on discount next time round.
Would've preferred full leather because I quite like leather, but it would stick out a fair bit if i wore that with t shirt and jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads