• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bruno Magli or Allen Edmunds?

elegance007

Reaction score
Bruno Magli feels like a much higher quality leather, softer, and the Maioco is more elegant, but the AE Park Ave fits better.

I don't want to buy the lower quality shoe and regret it.

Does AE make a higher quality line with better leather?

Is the Park Ave the best shoe for days when wearing a suit or blazer? I ask because the AE shoe that looks the best to me is the strand in walnut. Would it be a faux pas to wear the walnut strand with a suit?

Too bad the Strand does not come in merlot at Nordstrom. That would be a beautiful color that would go with anything.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know what Bruno Magli shoes you were looking at, but the ones I typically see knocking around for 300 odd bucks are nothing to shout home about and they seem to be a step down from Allen Edmonds. There may be a "higher tier" Bruno Magli line out there but I have never seen it.

Last edited:

elegance007

Reaction score
I dont know what Bruno Magli shoes you were looking at, but the ones I typically see knocking around for 300 odd bucks are nothing to shout home about and they seem to be a step down from Allen Edmonds. There may be a "higher tier" Bruno Magli line out there but I have never seen it.
BM Maioco has much softer leather than AE. BM leather feels like a glove, soft and comfortable. AE leather is like plastic and it looks bulky.

BM is more expensive. The BM Maioco is $425 MSRP and only on sale once a year at Nordstrom. The AE is $300 and on sale twice a year at Nordstrom for $200.

BM is sold in higher end stores like Bloomingdale and Saks. AE is not sold in those stores.

Everything points to BM as the better shoe.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BM is more expensive. The BM Maioco is $425 MSRP and only on sale once a year at Nordstrom.
BM is sold in higher end stores like Bloomingdale and Saks. AE is not sold in those stores.
Everything points to BM as the better shoe.

I would not look at the $100 odd bucks difference at retail as being particularly enlightening in terms of quality.

In terms of AE not being in Saks, I could equally say Theory and Hugo Boss are there in store, and these brands are bottom of the barrel. An item's presence in a high end department store does not necessarily equate at it being high end (perception is a different matter however).

I dont know, you may be right on the Bruno Magli. All I will say is the stuff I have seen in the past I would not have not shaken two ***** at. Quality neither here nor there, although maybe the brand has stepped up their game in recent times.

Magnanni is superior in every way. They are hand grade and made of the best leather.

I detect a subtle hint of sarcasm in your writings :lol:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BM Maioco has much softer leather than AE. BM leather feels like a glove, soft and comfortable. AE leather is like plastic and it looks bulky.

ok, first, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Second, if you find the BMs so much higher quality, just buy them and STFU.

skokiekid

Reaction score
I have both the Maioco and the PA. The Maioco has a longer toe cap which I prefer. When I hold the PA, it looks stubby, but when I wear the PA it looks fine. The Maioco is a much softer leather and a little sleeker sole (bc it is not goodyear). The PA looks a little more solid. It depends on whether you want more of an English look or more of an Italian look. I wear my BM much more.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've checked their website and they seem to have started making more Goodyear models now... haven't seen any in person though.

I actually do like their styling, at least their more subtle shoes. I tried on a pair which I almost bought but couldn't justify buying another pair of black shoes. I can speak for the leather as posted above but it looked pretty decent. Certainly within AE range. If they came out with GY stitched, I would like to see them but I would imagine they would slip into the $500-$600 range.

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads