• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 20 year old Smythson of London bridle attache.

Here's how London Tan looks after it has acquired a patina over 20 years.

It's been flung around a lot, and hasn't been treated with much care. It does, however, look WAY better in the flesh leather.

It's hand-stitched almost entirely.

Not sure if Smythson made the bag, or if it was made by another.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A 20 year old Smythson of London bridle attache.

Here's how London Tan looks after it has acquired a patina over 20 years.

It's been flung around a lot, and hasn't been treated with much care. It does, however, look WAY better in the flesh leather.

It's hand-stitched almost entirely.

Not sure if Smythson made the bag, or if it was made by another.

Very nice indeed..

slappy

Reaction score
Well, Ive gotten my choice down to either the Saddleback thin in Tobacco Brown, or Frank Clegg American Briefcase in Tan. The Clegg is classier looking, whereas the Saddleback is more rugged. Im sure they are both constructed nicely so durability isn't a concern of mine, Im also leaving price out of it entirely and still cannot decide. I wish I could see both in person.

Not that I need to post them, but:

slappy

Reaction score
The first is the Clegg. The saddleback picture isn't the greatest, here's another one:

Last edited:

quar

Reaction score
I picked up this Delvaux Newspaper Bag in February. It was the last one left at the Madison Avenue Barneys Store.

I've been using it everyday now. It's great. Deserves more than an iPhone photograph, but it's the best I can do right now.

Last edited:

alex4nder

Reaction score

Well, Ive gotten my choice down to either the Saddleback thin in Tobacco Brown, or Frank Clegg American Briefcase in Tan. The Clegg is classier looking, whereas the Saddleback is more rugged. Im sure they are both constructed nicely so durability isn't a concern of mine, Im also leaving price out of it entirely and still cannot decide. I wish I could see both in person.

It comes down to what goes better with your style.

I have a Saddleback Thin Briefcase that I use every day. I beat it up, and don't worry about it. I especially like it as a travel briefcase. When I originally got it, I found I really disliked all of the metal hardware hanging off of it, so I took a bolt cutter to most of the D-rings and the giant metal O-ring under the handle. I think it looks much better that way.

If I wore more suits, I would have gotten something similar to Clegg's offerings, instead.

slappy

Reaction score
Fair point, I just graduated law school (stereotype here Im sure) and am going to start working as a patent lawyer in the Bay Area. Suits are not required; Im leaning towards the Saddleback also. Can you post a picture of the modifications you made to yours?

Hill

Reaction score
I don't know much about briefcases and was hoping you guys could give me your opinion on one. I work in a mostly business casual environment. I don't wear suits often but would like something that wouldn't look out of place when I do. I think this one from Context would patina nicely but am hoping to get some feedback on perceived price/quality, versatility, etc.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=3740

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That 'product as art form' actually characterizes what many of us feel when purchasing and bespeaking products. There's smth alluring about being able to choose specific designs and know that it's dissimilar from other pieces that were produced.

I did write many pages back that when one buys a bag, (I used SAB as an example), one buys not only the product, but also its pedigree, and into its heritage and tradition. One 'attempts' to buy into a lifestyle.

I agree there is something alluring about having original products made to my taste.

my life wrestling question has always been where have i gotten my "taste" from and why?

One thing, in a tight crowded space in my head, that i know is that with "buying into the heritage" i meant more to say you buy into the individual artist's "heritage" as opposed to a company's heritage and "who" bought their product. Less buying into a lifestyle and more supporting an art-form, an artist and the cherry on top is that i get a product i can use that has been closely connected to another individual human being.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads